G A R Sunrise

Breed your cows to the best bulls in the nation!
wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Re: G A R Sunrise

Postby wbvs58 » Sun May 27, 2018 5:56 am

boondocks wrote:no comments? :)

Probably not a lot to comment about Boondocks, hard to get a good look at them with their heads down getting a belly full of nice grass. They do look to be in good condition and growing well for their age. Very pleasing on the eye.

Ken
0 x

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Wed May 30, 2018 12:06 am

wbvs58 wrote:
boondocks wrote:no comments? :)

Probably not a lot to comment about Boondocks, hard to get a good look at them with their heads down getting a belly full of nice grass. They do look to be in good condition and growing well for their age. Very pleasing on the eye.

Ken

Thanks Ken, will try to get better pics after they've been on grass a few more weeks. The only weird thing is that they are staying quite reddish brown. They do have the black circles around their eyes (which I'm told is more reflective of their mature color). A friend's Red Angus mama "bunks" with us; the Sunrise heifers' current color is smack dab between that of her calf, and my (non-Sunrise) Black Angus calves.

Anyone else experienced this? I assume it doesn't affect registrability but haven't delved into the rules, not having ever had anything other than a jet-black calf....
0 x

Birchum
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Birchum » Wed May 30, 2018 1:43 am

Most of the calves I have are a reddish tint when young with the black eyes. They seem to grow out of it around weaning. None are registered. The bull I have is a purebred, but it is about 50 50 on the red tint on his calves.
It would be nice to see what yours look like a few years from now.
0 x

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Wed May 30, 2018 2:52 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:Calves look good. Did you wait a little long to get them out on grass? or have you already gone through several paddocks?

Hi Jeanne,
Yes, we waited a bit. The grass was slow to come; the area we turn them out into as "transitional" was pretty muddy; and we had a couple big bales we were hoping they'd polish off. They've been out about 2 wks. Happy campers.
We've gone from "no grass" to (with our Dec. herd reduction) almost more than they can keep up with right now. Good problem to have, I know!
0 x

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Wed May 30, 2018 3:06 am

Boondocks, I always seem to have a couple of calves each year out of about 30 registered Angus that get that reddish brown coat, we calve in winter but they can take a long time to shed that reddish coat in summer, often not till after Xmas/ New year (that being our summer of course). I never worry about it unless they are doing poorly. I had a heifer last year from a heifer that was very bronze and did poorly, mother seemed to have plenty of milk, I am sure this was copper deficiency, she did respond to a couple of shots of Multimin. I do give my calves Multimin at around 2-3mths of age but this heifer was a late one and missed out on it.

Ken
1 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Wed May 30, 2018 5:47 am

I get lots of "reddish" colored calves that turn out to be shiny black as yearlings.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Wed May 30, 2018 9:47 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:I get lots of "reddish" colored calves that turn out to be shiny black as yearlings.

Same here, a lot of our Angus calves will be a brownish or reddish color for several months, but always turn out to be black. Had some calves from Angus cows and a red Limousin bull last year, some of them stayed reddish until after weaning but they eventually were turning pretty well black by the time we sold them.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Wed May 30, 2018 9:57 am

Not always, but many times, if mine are born jet black, they are homozygous black. But, a lot of the ones that start out mousy or reddish are heterozygous black. (Simmental)
0 x

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Wed May 30, 2018 5:20 pm

Evidently reddish calves are fairly common with Angus, I have seen some bulls promoted as siring jet black calves
0 x

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Wed May 30, 2018 11:10 pm

Interesting, thanks for the reassurances, y'all. I'll repost in a few months when hopefully they will be jet black. They are otherwise very nice heifers.
0 x

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU

Postby Ebenezer » Thu May 31, 2018 8:11 am

Reddish calves: check your minerals to be sure you have adequate copper. We used to have reddish calves, too. No more.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Thu May 31, 2018 9:39 am

Ebenezer wrote:Reddish calves: check your minerals to be sure you have adequate copper. We used to have reddish calves, too. No more.

This definitely can cause reddish hair coats, but mine are not. It is a Simmental "genetic" "thing". And if it is copper deficiency, it will usually show up in the mature cows also.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu May 31, 2018 10:01 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:
Ebenezer wrote:Reddish calves: check your minerals to be sure you have adequate copper. We used to have reddish calves, too. No more.

This definitely can cause reddish hair coats, but mine are not. It is a Simmental "genetic" "thing". And if it is copper deficiency, it will usually show up in the mature cows also.

Sometimes it's hard for the Angus gene to cover the reddish brown gene up.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Return to “Artificial Insemination (AI) for Cattle”