New BP guidelines...........

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
jltrent
GURU
GURU

Re: New BP guidelines...........

Postby jltrent » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:14 am

My BIL BP runs low and the funny thing is they use the same meds for low BP as for high BP for him.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:57 am

BP should normally be lower in the morning. The evening meal is mostly already digested, your body muscles and heart muscles aren't doing much so there's no reason for increased blood flow to those relaxed muscles. Once you get some caffiene in you, or breakfast and start walking around, and even thinking, bp will go up because the voluntary and involuntary movement of your arms, neck and the heart muscle itself demand more o2 rich blood. Between the time I had my heart cath and the actual bypass surgery, I sat thru an explanation of what had happened and why, and how it was all supposed to work. It was pretty interesting. The coronary arteries that supply blood to the heart muscles come right off the big aorta near the top of the heart, which is the same big artery that supplies blood to your brain, neck and arms thru the subclavian arteries and the 2 cartoid arteries. IOW, the heart's muscles get o2 rich blood before everything else.
That aorta makes a big loop, with the part between the top of the loop and the heart going upwards..it's called the ascending aorta, once the loop or arch is made, the part that sends blood down your body to legs and abdomen is called the descending aorta, but way before that, the heart muscles should have already gotten their supply of 'good' blood.
It's quite an amazing organ really.
1 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:29 pm

greybeard wrote:Metoprolol succinate (label may say Succ ER) is the slow release or extended release and Metoprolol Tartrate is the immediate release. I was on the succinate.

That was the change they made GB. Can't even tell I take it now.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

ohiosteve
GURU
GURU

Postby ohiosteve » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:57 pm

My BP has been running high and they can't figure out why, it has extreme fluctuations, I'll go from 117/78 one day to 180/90 the next. When I went in the one time it was 190/100. I'm taking something now that's helping but still big swings. Scary part is my white blood cells are high. If it goes up one more time they want to take a sliver of my hip bone and test it. That sounds fun.
0 x
The truest of warriors is often overlooked.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:04 pm

ohiosteve wrote:My BP has been running high and they can't figure out why, it has extreme fluctuations, I'll go from 117/78 one day to 180/90 the next. When I went in the one time it was 190/100. I'm taking something now that's helping but still big swings. Scary part is my white blood cells are high. If it goes up one more time they want to take a sliver of my hip bone and test it. That sounds fun.

I don't like any kind of invasive procedure. It is totally mental because I have a high tolerance to pain. Hope it is nothing but a little stress.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU

Postby hurleyjd » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:04 pm

Just came in and checked my BP 96/69. Been in the heat and sweating. Sure do not feel as well as you should with it that low.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:53 pm

hurleyjd wrote:Just came in and checked my BP 96/69. Been in the heat and sweating. Sure do not feel as well as you should with it that low.

I am still having trouble in the morning. Very difficult to describe medical feelings. I tried a morning sports drink called Black Powder. It has a lot of caffeine but also NO - nitric oxide. It helps a lot.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”