Receiving new cattle

Cattle problems.
TLM1988
Beginner
Beginner

Receiving new cattle

Postby TLM1988 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:11 pm

What's everybody hit there calves with that they buy at a sale barn. Just for the peace of mind aspect. 350-400 wt. weaned steers is what I bought this round. Had the guy hauling for me worm and castrate and he hit em with la200. They are doing great but I don't know and he didn't know if they had any other kind of vaccinations prior to weaning or when they pulled em off mom. Risky business?? Seems that way to me and when I go to buy my next set I want to be better prepared

Thanks!!!!!
0 x

jehosofat
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Receiving new cattle

Postby jehosofat » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:24 pm

I would Blackleg and 7 Way for sure.
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:48 pm

Yes.
You are lucky they were weaned.
Inforce 3 and a 7 way at the minimum. Consider a pneumonia vaccine shot also.
0 x
Stocker Steve

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:05 pm

Draxxin, covexin 8, virashield 6, inforce 3, multimin 90, cydectin injectable. This heat will sure bring out a lunger hence the draxxin and inforce.
0 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:41 pm

RanchMan90 wrote:Draxxin, covexin 8, virashield 6, inforce 3, multimin 90, cydectin injectable. This heat will sure bring out a lunger hence the draxxin and inforce.

I sure wouldn't give draxxin just for the heck of it to a healthy cow. I usually give my trader cows, Calvary 9, Cydectin injectable and a pour on wormer and MultiMin right off the trailer. Then in 3 weeks give a booster of Calvary 9 and Triangle 10 HB. My feeling is to much at one time could cause problems.
2 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:42 pm

TLM1988 wrote:What's everybody hit there calves with that they buy at a sale barn. Just for the peace of mind aspect. 350-400 wt. weaned steers is what I bought this round. Had the guy hauling for me worm and castrate and he hit em with la200. They are doing great but I don't know and he didn't know if they had any other kind of vaccinations prior to weaning or when they pulled em off mom. Risky business?? Seems that way to me and when I go to buy my next set I want to be better prepared

Thanks!!!!!

They can pick up shipping fever "Pneumonia"at the stockyards, and LA 200 just teases it..keep a close eye on em and if you notice one off, best pull and quarantine it...don't turn them out where you can't get em up easily..
1 x
that awkward moment,when the zombies are searching for brains.and pass you by..

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:41 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:
TLM1988 wrote:What's everybody hit there calves with that they buy at a sale barn. Just for the peace of mind aspect. 350-400 wt. weaned steers is what I bought this round. Had the guy hauling for me worm and castrate and he hit em with la200. They are doing great but I don't know and he didn't know if they had any other kind of vaccinations prior to weaning or when they pulled em off mom. Risky business?? Seems that way to me and when I go to buy my next set I want to be better prepared

Thanks!!!!!

They can pick up shipping fever "Pneumonia"at the stockyards, and LA 200 just teases it..keep a close eye on em and if you notice one off, best pull and quarantine it...don't turn them out where you can't get em up easily..

That's good advice, we quarantine trader cows for at least 2 weeks. Some go right back the next week if their crazy.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:07 pm

Inforce 3, Presponse, Alpha 7, Cydectin injectable wormer, tetanus antitoxiod, Vitamin AD&E, castrate, ear tag, and Ralgro implant.
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

jehosofat
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby jehosofat » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:16 pm

kenny thomas wrote:Inforce 3, Presponse, Alpha 7, Cydectin injectable wormer, tetanus antitoxiod, Vitamin AD&E, castrate, ear tag, and Ralgro implant.

Nah, the other guy prolly did all that before he brought em to the sale. :lol2:
0 x

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:24 pm

Advertised as having their shots but nobody seems to know what that is. I just treat them like they have never seen a head chute before.
0 x

TLM1988
Beginner
Beginner

Postby TLM1988 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:34 pm

Gonna have to write all that down!! Didn't realize you could put that much in a calf at one time! Thanks for the replies!!
0 x

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:42 pm

TLM1988 wrote:Gonna have to write all that down!! Didn't realize you could put that much in a calf at one time! Thanks for the replies!!

Everything I recommended except the vitamins was with the help of a very good vet here on CT.
Another very good recommendation is only using a clean needle in the bottles. Leave the needle in it and draw from it.
0 x

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:59 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
RanchMan90 wrote:Draxxin, covexin 8, virashield 6, inforce 3, multimin 90, cydectin injectable. This heat will sure bring out a lunger hence the draxxin and inforce.

I sure wouldn't give draxxin just for the heck of it to a healthy cow. I usually give my trader cows, Calvary 9, Cydectin injectable and a pour on wormer and MultiMin right off the trailer. Then in 3 weeks give a booster of Calvary 9 and Triangle 10 HB. My feeling is to much at one time could cause problems.

I don't give draxxin to cows I buy either. Cuts down on repulls and death loss on lightweight calves for me. That's why I would recommend it to someone starting out. Mass treatment protocol is an age old debate on stockers.
1 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:18 pm

What do you gain with both virashield and inforce?
0 x
Stocker Steve

snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby snoopdog » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:03 am

Injectable wormer , respiratory of your choice, quarantine . And if you're going to make money , implant . Long weaned (45 days ) and documented vaccinated calves bring a premium here , and they should . Some kind of fly protocol this time of year would be advisable also .
0 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

Return to “Health & Nutrition”