Shooting Dogs

Discuss your favorite team, latest hunting info and ranch leases.
BRYANT
GURU
GURU

Re: Shooting Dogs

Postby BRYANT » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:43 am

Dave wrote:The Fish and Wildlife has these big wild dogs that they are fond of. I would think that the same rule applies to domestic dogs. It is referred to as SSS. If a tracking collar is involved then relocation to a spot several miles away is recommended.

Trouble is they have every place that dog was before you SSS and after you relocated it on a controller and you are in worse shape than before for trying to cover it up. That kind of what this last person did in the story I posted.
Your best option now days is to ONLY shoot dogs that are bothering you stock and ALWAYS get documentation, cell phone video, pictures and get the sheriff involved immediately. Not wait till they arrive at you place then say they killed 5 calves and I hauled all the evidence a thousand miles away and sunk it in the ocean, if you know what I mean your probably fixing to get in a heap of trouble. And as soon as you get a felon your life will never be the same.
A lot of these stories I get with dogs being shot with tracking devices are hounds , and hounds are not as app to be a problem as just yard dogs. in all my years hunting hounds mine would NEVER bother livestock and if one would have it would have only did it once and you would not have had to shoot it because I would have did it myself.

cowgirl8 wrote:Now that there are electronic wireless and GPS containments, there is no reason anyone's dog should be loose..
I would have one in the city too, then your dog could dash out the front door and not disappear or dig under the fence...

hunting dogs would still be loose
0 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:40 am

SSS, is the best option, but I'll take my chances using the courts. A land owner has so many rights that they give away because they don't know the law, and they speak without consulting an attorney. If you have cattle you can legally kill any dog you want on your own property. And besides the livestock protection act, I've never seen a dog that couldn't bite.
I've fought this issue before and will again if need be. The simple fact is, if people would just do what's right and keep their dogs where they belong there'd be no conflicts.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

ChrisB
GURU
GURU

Postby ChrisB » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:09 pm

wbvs58 wrote:My neighbours found a stray dog in their place , they have sheep and poultry free range. Anyhow they saw it before it did any damage and chased it out on the road, they then got in their car and followed it well back to see where it lived which was about 2 km away. They knocked on the door and informed the owner that it was harassing their sheep and if it returned it would be a dead dog. The owner swore black and blue it wasn't their dog, he had been in his yard the whole time, my neighbours said they had just followed it back to your place, that was an argument that was a bit hard to counter.

Ken

Reminds me of a previous thread on this subject. (Sorry don't remember who said it.) Neighbor comes over mad that somebody shot his dog and asks the farmer if it was him? Farmer asks "Does your dog chase cattle?" Neighbor: "No! He never leaves our yard!" Farmer: "Well, then I didn't shoot YOUR dog."
4 x

BRYANT
GURU
GURU

Postby BRYANT » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:11 pm

True Grit that is another reason I post these stories , I think this makes 3 I have posted where people got a felony for shooting dogs I have others with close to same results or still in court. The more there is with this out come the more likely it is for the end results to be like these. One court sets a precedent for what the others rule. The shooting every dog for no reason can be a big problem now, and there is animal rights people that will fund the case and they got LOTS OF MONEY to fight them with.
0 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:44 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:SSS, is the best option, but I'll take my chances using the courts. A land owner has so many rights that they give away because they don't know the law, and they speak without consulting an attorney. If you have cattle you can legally kill any dog you want on your own property. And besides the livestock protection act, I've never seen a dog that couldn't bite.
I've fought this issue before and will again if need be. The simple fact is, if people would just do what's right and keep their dogs where they belong there'd be no conflicts.

Texas is pretty understanding about killing dogs that harass livestock, but even here, they HAVE to be causing or have recently caused a problem..not just be on the property. The letter and intent of the law is pretty clear on this. Just seeing a dog on my property is not cause to kill it.

§ 822.013. Dogs or Coyotes That Attack Animals
(a) A dog or coyote that is attacking, is about to attack, or has recently attacked livestock, domestic animals, or fowls may be killed by:

(1) any person witnessing the attack; or

(2) the attacked animal's owner or a person acting on behalf of the owner if the owner or person has knowledge of the attack.

(b) A person who kills a dog or coyote as provided by this section is not liable for damages to the owner, keeper, or person in control of the dog or coyote.

(c) A person who discovers on the person's property a dog or coyote known or suspected of having killed livestock, domestic animals, or fowls may detain or impound the dog or coyote and return it to its owner or deliver the dog or coyote to the local animal control authority. The owner of the dog or coyote is liable for all costs incurred in the capture and care of the dog or coyote and all damage done by the dog or coyote.

(d) The owner, keeper, or person in control of a dog or coyote that is known to have attacked livestock, domestic animals, or fowls shall control the dog or coyote in a manner approved by the local animal control authority.

(e) A person is not required to acquire a hunting license under Section 42.002, Parks and Wildlife Code, to kill a dog or coyote under this section.
2 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:38 am

BRYANT wrote:True Grit that is another reason I post these stories , I think this makes 3 I have posted where people got a felony for shooting dogs I have others with close to same results or still in court. The more there is with this out come the more likely it is for the end results to be like these. One court sets a precedent for what the others rule. The shooting every dog for no reason can be a big problem now, and there is animal rights people that will fund the case and they got LOTS OF MONEY to fight them with.

Not just animal right groups... I will personally help fund it... as will other working dog owners who own land and livestock. If I remember correctly you did/ will too.

I will shoot the dog for you if it is causing a problem but not for just crossing or being on the property. Now I do think there should be some thing where if you document the dog being on your property more than X amount of times in a given time period you should be able to take recourse against the owner no matter if it is causing problems or not.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:30 pm

Brute 23 wrote:
BRYANT wrote:True Grit that is another reason I post these stories , I think this makes 3 I have posted where people got a felony for shooting dogs I have others with close to same results or still in court. The more there is with this out come the more likely it is for the end results to be like these. One court sets a precedent for what the others rule. The shooting every dog for no reason can be a big problem now, and there is animal rights people that will fund the case and they got LOTS OF MONEY to fight them with.

Not just animal right groups... I will personally help fund it... as will other working dog owners who own land and livestock. If I remember correctly you did/ will too.

I will shoot the dog for you if it is causing a problem but not for just crossing or being on the property. Now I do think there should be some thing where if you document the dog being on your property more than X amount of times in a given time period you should be able to take recourse against the owner no matter if it is causing problems or not.

You can catch the dog the owner should be fined at least a $1000 dollars for poaching and or armed trespassing. That would slow down the one's who let their dogs roam on to private property and chase the game off. The game is worth way more than a cow, and that's why a dog doesn't stand a chance if I see one on my property.
0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:07 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:

You can catch the dog the owner should be fined at least a $1000 dollars for poaching and or armed trespassing. That would slow down the one's who let their dogs roam on to private property and chase the game off. The game is worth way more than a cow, and that's why a dog doesn't stand a chance if I see one on my property.

That's a slippery slope. When you start giving zero room for slip ups on dogs, cattle will be right behind it.

Personally I think it should be like a 3 strikes your out rule. I don't care if its your dog or bull, if he is on the property more than 3 times in 90 days there should be legal, recourse against the land owner. I still do not think it is the animals fault because they do not comprehend boundaries and I do not believe it should be taken out on the animal. It is 100% the owners responsibility and they should be held accountable.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:04 pm

I agree except for the 3 strike deal, look how good that works for drunk drivers. Most of the time cows and bulls aren't turned loose on purpose, and they don't chase the game off. With that said I'm 100% behind the owner needs to be held responsible for their animals. We had major horse problems around here, now there's no more horse's and no more problems.
0 x

Return to “Sports, Hunting, Fishing and Wildlife”