Cattle Prices Going Forward

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Re: Cattle Prices Going Forward

Postby JMJ Farms » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:24 pm

snoopdog wrote:If I'm not mistaken, the majority of beef in this country is produced by farmers with less than 30 mommas . That is a lot of small guys , who get hurt the worst . With fuel prices rising , and the other factors associated , you can look forward to another recession , and possible economic collapse . In the depression , a good laying hen was worth more than a beef . Smoot/Hawley and isolationist / protectionist policy made matters worse, not better .

That is very interesting Snoop. I’ve never heard this. I know I’m a little slow, but reckon why? I know the hen will keep laying until the farmer or a varmint ate her, but it would take a lot of eggs to equal a side of beef.
1 x
“Watch your top knot” - Will Geer as Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:12 pm

But you don't need storage facilities for a few eggs a day, eat them as they're laid.. A side of beef, well, need freezers, etc
2 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby snoopdog » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:42 pm

Eggs brought a premium for eating /baking if sold as well as butter from the family milk cow. In rural areas , electricity was still very uncommon and storage of a large meat animal wasn't very viable.
0 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:13 pm

JMJ Farms wrote:
snoopdog wrote:If I'm not mistaken, the majority of beef in this country is produced by farmers with less than 30 mommas . That is a lot of small guys , who get hurt the worst . With fuel prices rising , and the other factors associated , you can look forward to another recession , and possible economic collapse . In the depression , a good laying hen was worth more than a beef . Smoot/Hawley and isolationist / protectionist policy made matters worse, not better .

That is very interesting Snoop. I’ve never heard this. I know I’m a little slow, but reckon why? I know the hen will keep laying until the farmer or a varmint ate her, but it would take a lot of eggs to equal a side of beef.

Got .35 a pound on kill cow yesterday.

In Texas 92% of the beef raised is in herds of less than 35. That’s roughly 10 million head.
That is according to the last TAMU workshop I attended.

Many a hog was cured and never saw refrigeration.
1 x
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

kentuckyguy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby kentuckyguy » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:28 pm

That’s why I love the security that we get from the 35-40 ewes we run. Sheep were very popular in the days before refrigeration.

About half of them have twins. That leaves you with about lamb a week till the next crop.
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:15 pm

Never go hungry here you could trap rooters from here to eternity.
0 x
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:35 pm

i just read cattle exports were up .. i think it said 23% from a year ago which is a new export record.
0 x

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:08 pm

ddd75 wrote:i just read cattle exports were up .. i think it said 23% from a year ago which is a new export record.

I flunked math but my figuring says that prices should be up 23% as well :?:
0 x
“Watch your top knot” - Will Geer as Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

Return to “Cattle Sales”