Cattle Prices Going Forward

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Re: Cattle Prices Going Forward

Post by JMJ Farms » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:24 pm

snoopdog wrote:If I'm not mistaken, the majority of beef in this country is produced by farmers with less than 30 mommas . That is a lot of small guys , who get hurt the worst . With fuel prices rising , and the other factors associated , you can look forward to another recession , and possible economic collapse . In the depression , a good laying hen was worth more than a beef . Smoot/Hawley and isolationist / protectionist policy made matters worse, not better .

That is very interesting Snoop. I’ve never heard this. I know I’m a little slow, but reckon why? I know the hen will keep laying until the farmer or a varmint ate her, but it would take a lot of eggs to equal a side of beef.
Until we remember that the left wing and the right wing belong to the same bird and we come together as a nation then this country is in for more turmoil - Jogeephus

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Nesikep » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:12 pm

But you don't need storage facilities for a few eggs a day, eat them as they're laid.. A side of beef, well, need freezers, etc
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher

Post by snoopdog » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:42 pm

Eggs brought a premium for eating /baking if sold as well as butter from the family milk cow. In rural areas , electricity was still very uncommon and storage of a large meat animal wasn't very viable.
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Post by Caustic Burno » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:13 pm

JMJ Farms wrote:
snoopdog wrote:If I'm not mistaken, the majority of beef in this country is produced by farmers with less than 30 mommas . That is a lot of small guys , who get hurt the worst . With fuel prices rising , and the other factors associated , you can look forward to another recession , and possible economic collapse . In the depression , a good laying hen was worth more than a beef . Smoot/Hawley and isolationist / protectionist policy made matters worse, not better .

That is very interesting Snoop. I’ve never heard this. I know I’m a little slow, but reckon why? I know the hen will keep laying until the farmer or a varmint ate her, but it would take a lot of eggs to equal a side of beef.

Got .35 a pound on kill cow yesterday.

In Texas 92% of the beef raised is in herds of less than 35. That’s roughly 10 million head.
That is according to the last TAMU workshop I attended.

Many a hog was cured and never saw refrigeration.
When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat. Ronald Reagan

kentuckyguy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by kentuckyguy » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:28 pm

That’s why I love the security that we get from the 35-40 ewes we run. Sheep were very popular in the days before refrigeration.

About half of them have twins. That leaves you with about lamb a week till the next crop.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Post by Caustic Burno » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:15 pm

Never go hungry here you could trap rooters from here to eternity.
When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat. Ronald Reagan

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Post by ddd75 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:35 pm

i just read cattle exports were up .. i think it said 23% from a year ago which is a new export record.

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by JMJ Farms » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:08 pm

ddd75 wrote:i just read cattle exports were up .. i think it said 23% from a year ago which is a new export record.

I flunked math but my figuring says that prices should be up 23% as well :?:
Until we remember that the left wing and the right wing belong to the same bird and we come together as a nation then this country is in for more turmoil - Jogeephus