Headed to the barn

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher

Headed to the barn

Postby snoopdog » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:19 am

Hauled my calves last night , 60 days weaned to the barn , 6 steers and 5 heifers. Kept 3 girls . I would have liked to kept them a little longer , but it's dry, and we really need to cut everything we have for a second cutting of hay. It looks like a slight upwards movement in the market , so we'll see. I know they will do as good as any , just hope buyer confidence is up. Can't wait for sale barn food !
0 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Re: Headed to the barn

Postby farmerjan » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:00 am

Good luck. Prices here are down .10 to .25 on most everything but that is typical for July. Best to sell by june or wait til later in august here. We are getting a little dry in spots but there has been rain around. 40-50% chance here today, spotty, then sun and near 90 through saturday, then several days of typical t-storms. We have about 4 acres of alfalfa mix pasture hay on the ground so I hope we are in the missed part of hit or miss showers today. Will get it made before the weekend and then the rain will be welcome on the cut fields.
1 x

BRYANT
GURU
GURU

Postby BRYANT » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:06 am

snoopdog wrote:Hauled my calves last night , 60 days weaned to the barn , 6 steers and 5 heifers. Kept 3 girls . I would have liked to kept them a little longer , but it's dry, and we really need to cut everything we have for a second cutting of hay. It looks like a slight upwards movement in the market , so we'll see. I know they will do as good as any , just hope buyer confidence is up. Can't wait for sale barn food !

Where you take them to ,El Reno ? Watched them sell some cows Mon. and they look to be doing better than they were a couple weeks ago at Bristow ??? never know its kind of luck of the draw. Hope they do well for you.
0 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

BRYANT
GURU
GURU

Postby BRYANT » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:10 am

Forget that last post I thought you were from NW Okla. El Reno would probably be to far away.
0 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:19 am

Good luck! There was a ton of early consignments for our sale today, including 550 700-850 lb. heifers from one producer.
0 x

bird dog
GURU
GURU

Postby bird dog » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:57 pm

I sold some at OKC on Monday. 600 lb steers brought $1.50. 550 lb heifers brought $1.38. 625 lb heifers brought $1.30.

Only weaned 3 weeks as my grass has burned up and I had to get some animals off the place. With the hot weather and being short weaned they also shrunk more than I am used to, about 4%. I am not a big fan of selling in the hottest part of the year but sometimes you just don't have a choice.
0 x

snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby snoopdog » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:15 pm

Pretty happy , steers avg 650lb @ 1.51, heifers 568lb @ 1.33. Mine brought .02 more than any there , so that was a real source of pride. Its raining now and my truck windows are down , I do not care , I ain't rolling them up!
3 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:12 pm

bird dog wrote:I sold some at OKC on Monday. 600 lb steers brought $1.50. 550 lb heifers brought $1.38. 625 lb heifers brought $1.30.

Only weaned 3 weeks as my grass has burned up and I had to get some animals off the place. With the hot weather and being short weaned they also shrunk more than I am used to, about 4%. I am not a big fan of selling in the hottest part of the year but sometimes you just don't have a choice.

Nothing wrong with that. I hauling about the same size calves tomorrow and hoping to get the same results.
1 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby snoopdog » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:06 pm

Brute 23 wrote:
bird dog wrote:I sold some at OKC on Monday. 600 lb steers brought $1.50. 550 lb heifers brought $1.38. 625 lb heifers brought $1.30.

Nothing wrong with that. I hauling about the same size calves tomorrow and hoping to get the same results.
I think you will , the buzz was the futures , but they held steady all day . Good Luck .
1 x

Allenw
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Allenw » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:12 pm

snoopdog wrote:Pretty happy , steers avg 650lb @ 1.51, heifers 568lb @ 1.33. Mine brought .02 more than any there , so that was a real source of pride. Its raining now and my truck windows are down , I do not care , I ain't rolling them up!

Sounds good especially the rain. I have a three week calf to pull and take tomorrow, I've had the cow and her twins shut up for about two weeks now. She has straightened up and is doing good, just can't take good care of two calves.
0 x

snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby snoopdog » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:35 pm

Allenw wrote:
snoopdog wrote:Pretty happy , steers avg 650lb @ 1.51, heifers 568lb @ 1.33. Mine brought .02 more than any there , so that was a real source of pride. Its raining now and my truck windows are down , I do not care , I ain't rolling them up!

Sounds good especially the rain. I have a three week calf to pull and take tomorrow, I've had the cow and her twins shut up for about two weeks now. She has straightened up and is doing good, just can't take good care of two calves.
We got 1.1 inches , more than we got in all of june!
1 x

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:43 pm

snoopdog wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:

I think you will , the buzz was the futures , but they held steady all day . Good Luck .

Feeder calf futures dropped bad today. Ended the day about 2.50 down
1 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby snoopdog » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:52 pm

kenny thomas wrote:
snoopdog wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:

Feeder calf futures dropped bad today. Ended the day about 2.50 down
What I meant to say kenny, was the prices stayed steady at the barn , so apparently there was demand. I only stayed about 4hrs, and they were still selling calves .
0 x

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:46 pm

Futures were back up today.
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:12 pm

kenny thomas wrote:Futures were back up today.

We need to figure out how to get the paper pushers out of the cattle market.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Return to “Cattle Sales”