Joint ill?
0 x

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Re: Guess the Diagnosis

Postby wbvs58 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:55 am

Bright Raven wrote:
wbvs58 wrote:Ron, I am pretty sure it is an umbilical hernia, intestines are only involved very rarely and they have to be a big one. Usually it is only the falciform fat that finds its way down there and it can get strangulated off as the animal matures and the muscle tightens up and the hernial ring closes up hence you can't find the hernial ring.

I had one like that a few years ago and I slit up between hernia and prepuce to give a bit of bite for one of those heavy duty elastrator bands to get around it. It came off in about 10 days then the wound healed up quickly giving a smooth profile to the belly.

Ken

I want to confirm this - you are saying the umbilical ring has closed, therefore, why I did not find an orifice. Correct? Therefore, the prognosis would be good. All I need to do is have the vet deal with the mass. The important point is - You are suggesting the abdominal wall is not defective!!!

Yep that is correct Ron, maybe not completely closed but greatly reduced from how it was and often plugged with a bit of fat and won't allow anything important to drop out. What you have in the sac has been strangulated off and tends to increase in size with extra fluid and fat over time.

When I was at Uni a very good equine vet used to use deal with umbilical hernias in some very expensive thoroughbred weanlings using the cherio bands. He would tip them on their back and as long as he could get no more than 2 fingers into the hernial ring he would put 2 large safety pins (diaper pins) into the base in a criss cross fashion after first working the contents of the sac back into the abdomin and then put the band over the pins which held it close to the abdomin. By the time it fell off there was tightening of hernia and other healing and adhesions filled the defect, worked very well.

Ken
1 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:23 am

Silver wrote:Joint ill?

No. Silver, he has no sign of illness. Joint ill is systemic. He moves like an athlete. No temperature. I think Ken is right.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:59 am

Abscess. I got back last night from Missouri. First one I checked was the bull. Noticed it was only as big a a golf ball. Squeezed it and pus came out. I palpated abdominal wall. All seems fine.
1 x
Diogenes.

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:16 am

Bright Raven wrote:Abscess. I got back last night from Missouri. First one I checked was the bull. Noticed it was only as big a a golf ball. Squeezed it and pus came out. I palpated abdominal wall. All seems fine.

you forgot to give the uneducated one the credit for the diagnosis But I realize you think its impossible for someone without formal learning to ever be right.
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:19 am

M-5 wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:Abscess. I got back last night from Missouri. First one I checked was the bull. Noticed it was only as big a a golf ball. Squeezed it and pus came out. I palpated abdominal wall. All seems fine.

you forgot to give the uneducated one the credit for the diagnosis But I realize you think its impossible for someone without formal learning to ever be right.

Do you want a medal? ;-)

Hey. You forgot. I gave you a free psychoanaylsis a while back . We are even. ;-)
0 x
Diogenes.

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:28 am

Bright Raven wrote:
M-5 wrote:

Do you want a medal? ;-)

Hey. You forgot. I gave you a free psychoanaylsis a while back . We are even. ;-)

no medal , But as with most things people overthink and create problems where there arn't any. In a vast majority of pastures this would not have ever been noticed and would have went away on it on or the first time he mounted a herd mate it would have likely drained .
2 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:29 am

M-5 wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
M-5 wrote:

Do you want a medal? ;-)

no medal , But as with most things people overthink and create problems where there arn't any. In a vast majority of pastures this would not have ever been noticed and would have went away on it on or the first time he mounted a herd mate it would have likely drained .

100 % agree
0 x
Diogenes.

MtnCows93
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby MtnCows93 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:53 pm

imagine if it was a hurnea and somebody thought it was a abscess and lanced it with a knife
0 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”