Should I use Gar Prophet?

Breed your cows to the best bulls in the nation!
wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Re: Should I use Gar Prophet?

Postby wbvs58 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:50 am

I got an eagerly awaited Prophet heifer calf today, it will probably be my last Prophet calf, I have used him for 4 years now. 2 of my 1st 2 Prophet heifers just had their 2nd calf, it is the middle of winter here and yes they are doing it a bit tough but they weaned phenominal bull calves and went back into calf on cue so we will see how they do this time, I am sure they will do OK.

Ken
0 x

Air gator
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Air gator » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:29 am

Wbvs58,
I think with any bull you have to match him with the right cow.
If I need to add frame and milk then I will use him...but I don't think I would use him on a heifer.
I think he is one of the oldest bulls in the top 25 Angus bulls by registrations so he has to have quality calves.
0 x

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:57 pm

Air gator wrote:Wbvs58,
I think with any bull you have to match him with the right cow.
If I need to add frame and milk then I will use him...but I don't think I would use him on a heifer.
I think he is one of the oldest bulls in the top 25 Angus bulls by registrations so he has to have quality calves.

Yes I agree, I have used him on heifers in the past and they have been bigger and a bit tougher calvings than I would have liked and not like his numbers would have suggested. The cow that calved yesterday was on her 5th calf and I weighed the heifer this morning at 38.5kg which is fine for me but I have had heifers with Prophet calves up around 45kg. Maybe in the cow herd where they are left to their own devices to survive the BW is acceptable but when I give my heifers a bit of support the calf takes it all and grows. The certainly grow well on mum"s milk so maybe they respond likewise in the womb to a bit of nutrition as well.

Ken
0 x

Air gator
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Air gator » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:37 pm

Virginia Cattle,
Thanks for the info. Nice calf.
I think he will be pretty nice when he's full grown.
1 x

Return to “Artificial Insemination (AI) for Cattle”