okra

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
BRYANT
GURU
GURU

okra

Postby BRYANT » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:23 pm

First I am no gardener. I plant very few things mostly a few peppers, few tomatoes mainly for salsa. But we eat a lot of Okra so I plant around a 125 okra plants my plants usually get around 8 to 10 tall and the seed I use are seeds I have saved from my okra for the last few years. This year they are not doing to well I got some very pretty, healthy looking plants that are 3' tall with big dark green leaves but no okra and not even any blooms. The okra that I let go to seed to save I always try to get off of the plants that do the best, but this year its not looking to good, I was a little late getting them planted but still I got plants that look good but no okra and the plants that don't look as good is starting to produce some okra.
0 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

M-5
GURU
GURU

Re: okra

Postby M-5 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:29 pm

Take switch and beat the leaves damaging them some. . Trust me, what do you have to loose they are not producing now.
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

willow bottom
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby willow bottom » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:03 pm

every time you cut a piece of okra off cut the entire leaf stem and all off thats directly under the okra. Also go ahead and cut the first couple of leaves off the plant
0 x

willow bottom
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby willow bottom » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:04 pm

every time you cut a piece of okra off cut the entire leaf stem and all off thats directly under the okra. Also go ahead and cut the first couple of leaves off the plant
0 x

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:19 pm

M-5 wrote:Take switch and beat the leaves damaging them some. . Trust me, what do you have to loose they are not producing now.

Many years ago I had a garden beside the house and we weren't getting much okra out of it. My mom's housekeeper said "you need to beat it with the broom". I thought she was joking. Later on I saw her out in the garden swinging away at the okra with the same broom she used to sweep floors with. Okra production picked up after that.
0 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:53 pm

They used to do the same thing to cotton . It will work if you have enough faith to try it .
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:24 pm

ga.prime wrote:
M-5 wrote:Take switch and beat the leaves damaging them some. . Trust me, what do you have to loose they are not producing now.

Many years ago I had a garden beside the house and we weren't getting much okra out of it. My mom's housekeeper said "you need to beat it with the broom". I thought she was joking. Later on I saw her out in the garden swinging away at the okra with the same broom she used to sweep floors with. Okra production picked up after that.

I’m still just as dumb as I was when I woke up this morning but at least I know something now that I didnt know this morning.
1 x
“Watch your top knot” - Will Geer as Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

BRYANT
GURU
GURU

Postby BRYANT » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:11 pm

JMJ Farms wrote:
ga.prime wrote:

I’m still just as dumb as I was when I woke up this morning but at least I know something now that I didnt know this morning.

I think my okra is getting a good ol fashion whooping come morning :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse:
1 x

BRYANT
GURU
GURU

Postby BRYANT » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:48 am

Ok, so now my Okra is producing BUT I now have thousands of small ants on the plants looks like they are going for the blooms right before they open. what can I do about this problem???
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:48 am

Spray with your favorite pesticide or dust
1 x

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:52 pm

Ants love to climb up okra stalks and chew on the pods at the stem end. I spray my whole garden area with ant repellant prior to planting and ants don't get on anything.
1 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:27 pm

JMJ Farms wrote:
ga.prime wrote:

Same here, and the mental visuals I have about this okra whuppin are comical as he//
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

Return to “Gardening”