Free Time

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
alisonb
GURU
GURU

Free Time

Postby alisonb » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:04 pm

I was wishing that I had more free time earlier, just seem to be busy all the time. Have decided to make an effort and see if things can be streamlined, get the old flowchart going :P

How much free time do you have? What do you do in your free time? I'd like to have more time for my hobbies...
0 x
Few is the number who think with their own minds and feel with their own hearts. Albert Einstein
Never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you!

herofan
GURU
GURU

Re: Free Time

Postby herofan » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:46 pm

I am usually doing something, but I do feel like I am in control of my time a lot more than most people. Aside from my public career, I’m not involved in anything with a tight schedule. I don’t have to be here, there, or yonder at a certain time every day. I also don’t have too many “iron in the fire” so to speak. My farm is set up so that not a lot is “pressing.” I just don’t run that big of an operation because I don’t want to be on the go all the time. If I’m in hay, or if cattle are sick, that needs to be done then, but if I bush-hog the back fields today, tomorrow, or next week, it really isn’t going to make that much difference, and there isn’t a bunch of other stuff piling up if I do wait until next week; so, I don’t feel like I’m running at 10mph and chasing something running 20mph all the time.

As for how to slow down and have more free time, I really wouldn’t know what to suggest to people who have been in the rat race all their life. I never took part in it from the beginning, so it just seems natural to me to not be super busy all the time. It never made sense to me to have so much going on in my life that I could barely take a deep breath, so I never participated.
I think it seems logical that with all the modern advancements that makes things more efficient and less time consuming, we would have more free time on our hands than our grandparents generation, but most have figured out how to not let that happen.
0 x

Lucky
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Lucky » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:47 pm

Every time I get caught up to have more “Free Time” I end up thinking of some other project to get myself into. I’m my own worst enemy I guess. I have been riding my horse more this year. Not much you can do on a horse but sit and look at what’s around you, pretty relaxing.
0 x

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:11 pm

My free time is usually spent figuring out how to get more free time.
3 x
I wish my brain could forget what my eyes have seen.

"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:36 pm

Sometimes you have to force free time. I have more because I'm not on a couple charitable boards anymore (limit of my terms) but I also have less because I'm doing the majority of maintaining the ranch/cattle, etc. I learned that if I don't take "me time" every once in a while I morph into a raging, um, witch - which isn't pleasant for anyone. So I now make sure I have at least one hour every day to do whatever I want, which can be nothing more than scrolling CT, reading, taking a hike, finally getting a pedi, whatever. As far as hobbies, redecorating the house is a fave so I fit that in during my "me time". That said, come calving time, all bets are off and I'm happy if I make it into town for milk once a week.
1 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:50 pm

If you have to force free time, is it really free or simply bought/rented/borrowed at the expense of whatever you would otherwise be engaged in?
4 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

herofan
GURU
GURU

Postby herofan » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:32 pm

greybeard wrote:If you have to force free time, is it really free or simply bought/rented/borrowed at the expense of whatever you would otherwise be engaged in?

I’m the opposite. If I were busy all the time like a lot of people, I’d really be making things up to be busy. I suppose a person could always be doing something. My parents neighbor mows his lawn at least three times a week, for example. I’m just not that into being busy.
0 x

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:51 pm

I don't have any free time and don't want any.
0 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

herofan
GURU
GURU

Postby herofan » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:06 pm

ga.prime wrote:I don't have any free time and don't want any.

Maybe we all define free time differently. I can’t imagine not having any free time. When you say you don’t have any free time, does that mean you never have time to watch a ballgame or go out to eat with your family? What I consider to not be free time is time that I absolutely have no choice but to be doing the particular thing that I’m doing.

I may not always be in a coma on the sofa, but I feel like I’m in charge of my time more than most. For example, I may be planning to do some fence repair tomorrow; then my daughter in college may call and say, “Dad, I’m off tomorrow. Would you like to come down and hang out?” More times than not, I will take her up on it. Being with my daughter sounds better than fencing, and the fence will be there tomorrow.
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:09 pm

ga.prime wrote:I don't have any free time and don't want any.

Me too neither..be plenty of time for that when I'm dead..
1 x
there are two ways to argue with a woman.....neither one works..

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:11 pm

I'll use my free time on the streets of gold. In the meantime I will stay busy and active , I leave home around 5 Every morning and get back home around 5 then I spend 3 to four hours working at home. Free time is usually when it's raining and I don't have alot to do.
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:21 pm

There's no free time around here unless you make it by saying screw it I'm outta here. There's always something that needs doing, I can't even enjoy going hunting because I know I have stuff I should be doing. I tell myself you only have one life to live, live it like you want. Easier said than done.
2 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

herofan
GURU
GURU

Postby herofan » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:23 pm

Like I asked before, for those of you who don’t want free time or ever have free time, how do you define free time? Are you never able to just relax a few hours before bed? Do you never get to watch a ballgame? Do you never get to grill out in the back yard? Do you always feel stressed and pressed for time?
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:32 pm

I'm relaxing right now listening to the rain . It's flooding on 30 acres of hay. So I'm thinking about the hours it's gonna take to get it dry enough to bale tomorrow. I will likely toss and turn all night.
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:34 pm

I might start tedding around 4 am . I haven't made my mind up yet.
0 x

Return to “Coffee Shop”