Safeguard mineral wormer blocks

The place to start if you are new!
tncattle
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1933
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:52 pm
Location: Tennessee

Safeguard mineral wormer blocks

Postby tncattle » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:22 pm

Anyone use them? Like or dislike?
0 x

User avatar
ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 15498
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:16 pm
Location: Alabama the Beautiful

Re: Safeguard mineral wormer blocks

Postby ALACOWMAN » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:18 pm

If I could get em to all stand In line and take their turn at it,,and get the amount they need of it, I'd be for it..to expensive to buy enough of them to do any good.might be a good mid summer"""supplement""" for a smaller herd.but we're on fall worming and I put my money toward a good injectable..bad time of the year for them to go into winter with a parasitic burden...
3 x
there are two ways to argue with a woman.....neither one works..

cjmc
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:52 am

Re: Safeguard mineral wormer blocks

Postby cjmc » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:38 pm

You can buy a concentrated meal you mix into your mineral & cubes as well. Never been around the blocks. I would use whatever form of supplement the cows are used to consuming. If they have never eaten a block before consumption might be pretty variable between cows.
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4745
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas

Re: Safeguard mineral wormer blocks

Postby callmefence » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:48 pm

I use them. Not the best way to work cattle but they definitely have their place. Like when their on a pasture with no pens. Imo they do work.
0 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.




You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

User avatar
Brute 23
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7410
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:59 pm
Location: South Texas Gulf Coast

Re: Safeguard mineral wormer blocks

Postby Brute 23 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:31 pm

I tried using them in the same application as fence but the cattle would never eat the recommended amount per day it says on the label to be effective. Its all just averages like that any ways but they never disappeared fast enough. Then again I question worming as often as they say any ways.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

tncattle
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1933
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:52 pm
Location: Tennessee

Re: Safeguard mineral wormer blocks

Postby tncattle » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:44 pm

Is it harmful if you put the block out and just leave it for two or three weeks?
0 x

5S Cattle
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 394
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:55 am
Location: Brenham, Tx

Re: Safeguard mineral wormer blocks

Postby 5S Cattle » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:12 pm

I’ve heard good things about the cube wormers
0 x

User avatar
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 29620
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:18 pm
Location: Heart of Texas

Re: Safeguard mineral wormer blocks

Postby TexasBred » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:50 pm

5S Cattle wrote:I’ve heard good things about the cube wormers

Even with cubes you never know who got the recommended amount and who got more or less. And we're all usually guessing at weights so there's nothing scientific about it. The active ingredient is effective. Just put out enough to do the job. One block "supposedly" worms 8 cows over a 3 day period. (Give a half a cow and +/- a half a day. :lol2:
1 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

5S Cattle
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 394
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:55 am
Location: Brenham, Tx

Re: Safeguard mineral wormer blocks

Postby 5S Cattle » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:22 pm

TexasBred wrote:
5S Cattle wrote:I’ve heard good things about the cube wormers

Even with cubes you never know who got the recommended amount and who got more or less. And we're all usually guessing at weights so there's nothing scientific about it. The active ingredient is effective. Just put out enough to do the job. One block "supposedly" worms 8 cows over a 3 day period. (Give a half a cow and +/- a half a day. :lol2:

Right, but at least with the cubes the cows will stand around and eat until they’re done with them. Just dump an extra bag and you’re probably golden. With the tubs they’re gonna walk off. At least that’s how my cows are
0 x

User avatar
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 29620
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:18 pm
Location: Heart of Texas

Re: Safeguard mineral wormer blocks

Postby TexasBred » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:30 pm

5S Cattle wrote:
TexasBred wrote:
5S Cattle wrote:I’ve heard good things about the cube wormers

Even with cubes you never know who got the recommended amount and who got more or less. And we're all usually guessing at weights so there's nothing scientific about it. The active ingredient is effective. Just put out enough to do the job. One block "supposedly" worms 8 cows over a 3 day period. (Give a half a cow and +/- a half a day. :lol2:

Right, but at least with the cubes the cows will stand around and eat until they’re done with them. Just dump an extra bag and you’re probably golden. With the tubs they’re gonna walk off. At least that’s how my cows are

True but you're still overdosing some and underdosing some . An extra bag is a pretty darn good chunk of change.
1 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

User avatar
snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 710
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:16 am
Location: ne oklahoma

Re: Safeguard mineral wormer blocks

Postby snoopdog » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:42 am

We have used them in the past , and had trouble getting them to eat the recommended amount also . I would take up what's left , then reintroduce it a little later . Worms cost money .
1 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

Texas Gal
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 497
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:49 pm
Location: Montague County, TX

Re: Safeguard mineral wormer blocks

Postby Texas Gal » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:29 am

I prefer the loose Safeguard mineral. I usually let them run out of regular mineral for a day or two and then put out the wormer mineral. From casual observation, it appears the distribution more even that with blocks or cubes. I do like to use the cubes when I have just a small group who are routinely being fed, i.e. weaned heifers, etc.
0 x

User avatar
Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU
Posts: 9175
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:46 am
Location: Central Upstate New York
Contact:

Re: Safeguard mineral wormer blocks

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:46 pm

My guess would be IF you had a very uniform group (like all heifers, same age range) the cubes would be the best bet IF you were unable to work them thru a chute. Still, no matter what, some will get more, some will get less.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Coosh71
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 259
Joined: Sun May 01, 2016 8:32 am
Location: Texas Panhandle

Re: Safeguard mineral wormer blocks

Postby Coosh71 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:13 am

I may be missing something here but, why would you mess with additives in feed or mineral to worm? We work spring calves in May, and wean fall calves in May (worm everyone), then we work fall calves in October and wean spring calves in October (worm everyone). We never have the need to rework due to worms during the summer. So why is it so important to have a somewhat constant supply of wormer out? I know some parts of the country never have a true winter so this may not apply. Thanks!
0 x

User avatar
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 29620
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:18 pm
Location: Heart of Texas

Re: Safeguard mineral wormer blocks

Postby TexasBred » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:41 am

Coosh71 wrote:I may be missing something here but, why would you mess with additives in feed or mineral to worm? We work spring calves in May, and wean fall calves in May (worm everyone), then we work fall calves in October and wean spring calves in October (worm everyone). We never have the need to rework due to worms during the summer. So why is it so important to have a somewhat constant supply of wormer out? I know some parts of the country never have a true winter so this may not apply. Thanks!

Coosh it's really not a constant supply but most fenbendezol (active ingredient in Safeguard) products have a 3 day worming protocol. They also make a drench which works well. As far as I know it is just not available as an injectable.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????


Return to “Beginners Board”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests