Wild pears

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Wild pears

Postby skyhightree1 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:16 pm

Trees loaded

0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Wild pears

Postby skyhightree1 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:02 pm

0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:13 pm

I have an old tree that was loaded this year also. Only need so many canned pears and pear preserves so I took the surplus and made perry with it. If you unfamiliar with perry is it is similar to hard apple cider only made with pears. This was a popular drink of our forefathers before the era of prohibition. Typically perry was dry but I chose to make this sparkling with a very light sweetness which if you are familiar with fermentation is a contradiction. It was a little more difficult but the effort was rewarded with roughly $120 worth of a pleasant libation with a tax savings of roughly $30. I thought the return favorable given an investment in time of about two hours and some patience. I just hope I don't go blind.

0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:18 pm

Jogeephus wrote:I have an old tree that was loaded this year also. Only need so many canned pears and pear preserves so I took the surplus and made perry with it. If you unfamiliar with perry is it is similar to hard apple cider only made with pears. This was a popular drink of our forefathers before the era of prohibition. Typically perry was dry but I chose to make this sparkling with a very light sweetness which if you are familiar with fermentation is a contradiction. It was a little more difficult but the effort was rewarded with roughly $120 worth of a pleasant libation with a tax savings of roughly $30. I thought the return favorable given an investment in time of about two hours and some patience. I just hope I don't go blind.

Nice I could make a ton of everything with these. I never canned the pears only made preserves since there like rocks. I may look into Perry
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:30 pm

If they are hard it sounds like what we call horse pears or sand pears. These are hard as a rock but this is great for canning since their hardness makes them withstand canning and they will end up nice and soft once canned but they won't be mush.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:43 pm

Jogeephus wrote:If they are hard it sounds like what we call horse pears or sand pears. These are hard as a rock but this is great for canning since their hardness makes them withstand canning and they will end up nice and soft once canned but they won't be mush.

That's what these are there ridiculously hard I like them for preserves for the same reason
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:45 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:
Jogeephus wrote:If they are hard it sounds like what we call horse pears or sand pears. These are hard as a rock but this is great for canning since their hardness makes them withstand canning and they will end up nice and soft once canned but they won't be mush.

That's what these are there ridiculously hard I like them for preserves for the same reason

Can you some. You'll like them. Make perry out of the rest. If it don't blind you it will cure all sorts of aches and pains and if you drink enough you can wrestle alligators or tornadoes.
3 x

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:48 pm

Use them to bait bears and deer with.
0 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:54 pm

They make afine pear cobbler too
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:04 pm

ga.prime wrote:Use them to bait bears and deer with.

I have a stand within 40yds of that tree on both sides of the tree is my corn field
1 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:04 pm

M-5 wrote:They make afine pear cobbler too

These hard ones do?
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:14 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:

These hard ones do?

Yes. Slice them thin .
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:18 pm

M-5 wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:

These hard ones do?

Yes. Slice them thin .

Thanks I'll try it
0 x

sstterry
Rancher
Rancher

Postby sstterry » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:53 pm

Jogeephus wrote:with a tax savings of roughly $30. I thought the return favorable given an investment in time of about two hours and some patience. I just hope I don't go blind.

So, untaxed liquor? That is a Federal Crime........ (Of course I have a source that gets me a case of quart jars of some of East Tennesse' finest on a routine basis. But I do pay the tax..." wink" "wink") ;-)
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:57 pm

sstterry wrote:
So, untaxed liquor? That is a Federal Crime........ (Of course I have a source that gets me a case of quart jars of some of East Tennesse' finest on a routine basis. But I do pay the tax..." wink" "wink") ;-)

my kind of guy :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:
1 x

Return to “Gardening”