How does the bull look?

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

herofan
GURU
GURU

How does the bull look?

Postby herofan » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:03 pm

This bull is 19 months old and is Angus/Gelbvieh. What do you think about his appearance?

0 x

Gators Rule
Rancher
Rancher

Re: How does the bull look?

Postby Gators Rule » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:45 pm

I think he needs to show more masculine characteristics. Looks a little cowy to me.
4 x
I stand for the flag, and kneel for the cross...

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:23 pm

Gators Rule wrote:I think he needs to show more masculine characteristics. Looks a little cowy to me.

I tend to agree with Gator, here. He looks more feminine than masculine.
3 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:39 pm

Those small coconuts in the rear might be the culprit......
0 x
there are two ways to argue with a woman.....neither one works..

Muddy
GURU
GURU

Postby Muddy » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:28 pm

Looks like a steer with nuts
1 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:03 pm

Lots of better bulls.. hard pass. I just posted some Gelbvieh bulls, 10 months old that look more masculine than he does
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:25 am

Looks like you took the photos at nighttime.

Ken
0 x

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU

Postby Ebenezer » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:53 am

Never cared for a low headed bull.
0 x

herofan
GURU
GURU

Postby herofan » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:29 am

So, total loser??
0 x

Redgully
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Redgully » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:13 am

He may be late maturing and beef up yet. Has strong legs. Interesting in the second pick looks like he only has three legs.
0 x

herofan
GURU
GURU

Postby herofan » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:23 am

I don’t think I have ever gotten a glowing critique from bull I have ever posted, but my calves have always sold above the average prices of the time for the last several years. My calves even brought higher than my neighbor’s one year who had a registered bull; I don’t know about other years, we only discussed the one year. So, with all the negatives mentioned in this bull, if he produces a calf and it sells at a good price, do the negatives really matter? Would there be any gains in selling him and getting one that someone would appear to have all the right stuff?
0 x

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:51 am

herofan wrote:I don’t think I have ever gotten a glowing critique from bull I have ever posted, but my calves have always sold above the average prices of the time for the last several years. My calves even brought higher than my neighbor’s one year who had a registered bull; I don’t know about other years, we only discussed the one year. So, with all the negatives mentioned in this bull, if he produces a calf and it sells at a good price, do the negatives really matter? Would there be any gains in selling him and getting one that someone would appear to have all the right stuff?

Therein lies a conundrum. I've been on both sides of that argument and still don't have a good answer. From what I can tell, when you takes calves to market, there are a few things that make calves bring a bit more than average. First would be number, more calves in a group simply sell at a premium over one and two. Saw a graph at a cattle meeting last year, even 5 head will do some better. Quality comes into play too, but sometimes what the feeder calf buyers are looking for may not always be what you or I think is best. Around here the higher priced calves are in good shape but not over conditioned, and not thin. I think that from the feeder standpoint they want calves that will gain weight and that have enough frame to grow out. My opinion only, if you like the bull and are happy with the results that's fine. If I were keeping several replacements, then that is where I think a purebred bull of good quality may be more justifiable.
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:14 am

KYhills, I agree.. The more you want to make genetic progress in your herd the more important the bull is going to be in the long run.

What the buyers want seems to change by the year.. Usually in these parts they really like 5 weights... This year they paid more for my 6 weights though

Here are some of the black Gelbvieh bulls from the breeder I went to, 10 months old, 8-900 lbs
2 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

ez14.
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ez14. » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:28 am

herofan wrote:I don’t think I have ever gotten a glowing critique from bull I have ever posted, but my calves have always sold above the average prices of the time for the last several years. My calves even brought higher than my neighbor’s one year who had a registered bull; I don’t know about other years, we only discussed the one year. So, with all the negatives mentioned in this bull, if he produces a calf and it sells at a good price, do the negatives really matter? Would there be any gains in selling him and getting one that someone would appear to have all the right stuff?
if the calves are topping the sale then he'd be a fine terminal bull. But not something I'd want to keep replacements from. Mainly due to his apparent late maturing
1 x

Muddy
GURU
GURU

Postby Muddy » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:53 pm

In my honest opinion, I won't use him if I didn't want some medicore steers that probably finish longer in the feedlot. It doesn't matter if the bull is a registered, purebred or mutt as long as the calves are high quality...I don't think I ever seen poor quality calves outsells high quality calves before.
0 x

Return to “Breeds Board”