Early Heifer Maturity ?

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
Texas Gal
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Early Heifer Maturity ?

Postby Texas Gal » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:33 am

Coosh71 wrote:We run some Gelbvieh over Angus/Angus Hereford and Char cross cows. We have seen some not all, heifers start cycling at 7+ months. We do not breed at that age, but they are cycling. By 12-13 months our heifers are 750+ and we have no reservations putting our LBW RA bull on them. We do synch them to try to tighten the calving window. Last year we put a bull on 20 heifers at 12-14 months old and got 100% bred in 60 days. We like the Gelbvieh influence on our heifers fertility so far. This year we will do the same with 18-20 heifers that we like.

I've a group of 8 -9 month old super baldie heifers who are cycling regularly now. It's playing be nice on my grazing rotation since i don't want them near any bulls yet. We're trying to hold off until they're 13-14 months to breed. It appears my cattle did better through the droughty summer than I expected them to. :shock:
1 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:44 am

T & B farms wrote:Maybe I’m just picky, but I won’t keep anything under 160 square cm.

The lowest score I have gotten is 162. That was at 12 month score. I have had as high as 222.7.

I think 160 is the minimum I would want on my farm with the birthweights I get. In fact, I want about 180.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:22 pm

I have always thought of 14-15 months being the ideal breeding age, regardless of when they start cycling. However have calved out several younger with not much problem at all. I like for our Angus/Hereford heifers to be at the very least 700 lbs and preferably 750-800 at breeding time. We have our heifers pelvic measured and the sale that we participate in has a requirement of 150 cm at yearling. Typically our calves are from 12-15 months at that time and usually anywhere from 1 to 5 out of 35 or so won't pass that. That is usually the younger or thinner calves but not always. I would say that on average most of ours will go 180 or better several usually measure over 200. We use low birthweight Angus bulls for our sale heifers, and most of what I retain as well. Have used a moderate Hereford bull on Hereford Heifers with no problems, but prefer to use Angus bulls on Angus or crossbred heifers.
On an average year we usually have some of our heifer calves cycling as early as 5 months, and have been getting them weaned by that time if the bulls are still with the cows. Used to let our Charolais calves stay on the cows for 7-8 months, with none getting bred early, then started using different bulls and some heifers were cycling by or before 7 months so started weaning them sooner. With Angus, or Hereford bulls our heifers will sometimes start cycling at 5 months.
1 x

76 Bar
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby 76 Bar » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:50 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe 160 square cm. was traditionally the minimum acceptable PM for yrlg bulls and heifers and sans an extreme regarding height versus width ratio.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:02 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
All my heifers get a birth canal measurement at 12 months. I sell bred heifers under the Kentucky CAIP program and a Certified pelvic minimum score of I think 130 square centimeters is required.

I checked the criteria for approval of funding for heifers under The Kentucky CAIP (Cost Share Program). It is as follows:

All heifers must have a 12 month pelvic score of 150 square centimeters or greater and/or a 18 month score of 180 square centimeters or greater.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:28 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
T & B farms wrote:Maybe I’m just picky, but I won’t keep anything under 160 square cm.

The lowest score I have gotten is 162. That was at 12 month score. I have had as high as 222.7.

I think 160 is the minimum I would want on my farm with the birthweights I get. In fact, I want about 180.

150 is my minimum but they're measured at 11 months when they get their BANGS & I use a pretty low BW/high CED bull.
1 x

gcreekrch
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby gcreekrch » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:52 am

Breed at 14 months. Bulls in for 35 to 40 days from July 1 on. Pull bulls when haying allows.

We let the heifers decide who wants to stay.
2 x
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:25 am

gcreekrch wrote:Breed at 14 months. Bulls in for 35 to 40 days from July 1 on. Pull bulls when haying allows.

How didi do you come up wth 35 to 40 days?
What is your % open?
0 x
Stocker Steve

gcreekrch
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby gcreekrch » Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:00 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:
gcreekrch wrote:Breed at 14 months. Bulls in for 35 to 40 days from July 1 on. Pull bulls when haying allows.

How didi do you come up wth 35 to 40 days?
What is your % open?

35 days is roughly 2 cycles. It stretches up to 42 days if the haying weather is too good to stop but no longer. Empty rate is between 12 and 18%.

Being that tough on them has sure grouped the cow herd closer calving. 80 to 85% calved in 30 days on 650+ works just fine.
1 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:03 pm

gcreekrch wrote:35 days is roughly 2 cycles. It stretches up to 42 days if the haying weather is too good to stop but no longer. Empty rate is between 12 and 18%.

Are they straight bred heifers, or ?
0 x
Stocker Steve

gcreekrch
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby gcreekrch » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:46 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:
gcreekrch wrote:35 days is roughly 2 cycles. It stretches up to 42 days if the haying weather is too good to stop but no longer. Empty rate is between 12 and 18%.

Are they straight bred heifers, or ?

Red or Black Angus base, a little Sim, Gelbvieh or Horned Hereford mixed in.
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:32 pm

gcreekrch wrote:[35 days is roughly 2 cycles. It stretches up to 42 days if the haying weather is too good to stop but no longer. Empty rate is between 12 and 18%.

Have a friend who breeds quite a few BA heifers on native short grass range. He averages 17% open.

I have seen maternal F1s do much better, but they were on stocker quality MIG pasture. Maybe too good.

Selling open heifers in August may be a better than late calving 3 year olds about 16 months later.
0 x
Stocker Steve

Bovine breeder
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Bovine breeder » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:05 am

Nesikep wrote:For me, I've never had a problem with the first timers breeding back.. in fact I found they breed back easier if they're exposed to the bull shortly after calving, I find milking for a long time before exposure runs them down, so breeding them before the rest of the herd might have the opposite effect you'd like, at least it did in my herd. I had one heifer that was really late one year, she's calved in 11 month windows ever since.

I agree. Breeding heifers earlier sounds good in theory, but I’ve always found they become milked down by the time it’s time to breed back and don’t do well. The same can be said for my cows. It’s a careful balance of calving when feed resources match nutrient needs, having an old enough calf to work with in the fall, and breeding season not being in The dead of summer when it’s hard for Anything to get pregnant. The circumstances might be different if I had anything better than junky hay to feed in February and March. lol.
1 x

elkwc
GURU
GURU

Postby elkwc » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:18 pm

Here is a link to what I feel is a good article about some great cattle people in our area. Coosh knows about them I'm sure. I found the reading interesting. They have done an excellent job of breeding cattle to fit their environment and that work for the area commercial breeders. There is a some general discussion about going to tighter breeding windows ect. https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A% ... EvB8i-lKWx
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:49 am

Nesikep wrote:For me, I've never had a problem with the first timers breeding back.. in fact I found they breed back easier if they're exposed to the bull shortly after calving, I find milking for a long time before exposure runs them down, so breeding them before the rest of the herd might have the opposite effect you'd like, at least it did in my herd.

Sounds like yours have a lot of milk. I see a few like that - - biggest calves but may breed back late. Usually some continental in the mix. Seems like commercial cattlemen are leary about going more than 25% continential.
0 x
Stocker Steve

Return to “Breeding / Calving Issues”