Bad or good idea buying few light Breds or heavies

The place to start if you are new!
Bfields30
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Bad or good idea buying few light Breds or heavies

Postby Bfields30 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:28 pm

Is it bad idea to get few light or heavy breds at this time prices I’m looking are some 6-8 yr olds 700-1k or maybe even a few pairs possibly. Few 4 yrs old around 800-850 3-5 months bred.
Not really worried about hay or feeding i have both and I still have good amount of gras still left that I haven’t had to put out hay just yet
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Re: Bad or good idea buying few light Breds or heavies

Postby callmefence » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:56 pm

Good idea as long as you don't pay to much. And right now that's to much.
0 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:07 pm

Probably somebody that ain't wanting to lose money taking them to the stockyard... And trying to unload them by advertising first.. Been seeing a bunch like that lately...
0 x
that awkward moment,when the zombies are searching for brains.and pass you by..

Bfields30
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Bfields30 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:27 pm

callmefence wrote:Good idea as long as you don't pay to much. And right now that's to much.

What’s good prices to buy at ?
0 x

kentuckyguy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby kentuckyguy » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:46 pm

Looks like here they are only bringing $3-700 depending on age and how long they have been bred.

Culling cows is a rough endeavor right now. Older cows selling for .30- .40

https://www.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/sv_ls161.txt
0 x

bird dog
GURU
GURU

Postby bird dog » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:25 pm

Send a PM to Texas PaPaw. He can fix you up. He had a nice group last week that he offered me but I just don't have the room. His will be a little better than the average sale barn animal and probably will have been worked recently.
1 x

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:30 am

We are seeing breds here from $400 to $700 for just average cows. Bought 2 a couple weeks ago, short mouths, for $950 total for both. Bred 4+ months, will calve in the spring. They are bigger cows, 12-1300 lbs with not alot of fat on them. They will probably be one and done, but should gain some weight so will be in the 13-15 wts for cull cows. Maybe by next fall there won't be as many culls around and prices will get better. Culls here are in the .25 to .40 range. And feeder prices fell off this past week from .10 to .40. 3 weeks ago we sold some lt weight heifers off some old cull cows that brought in the 1.10 to 1.25. This past week they were in the mid .80's for some nice heifer calves. Am thinking about buying some heifers, especially herefords or char x as they were in the .70's when the blacks were in the 1.20's so are probably in the basement now. We might be holding most of the feeders until after the first of the year...will see how things go.
Might try to pick up a few more breds if the prices keep falling. Have culled about 25 this past year that were OLD and could do with a few more to fill in the gaps.
1 x

Bfields30
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Bfields30 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:56 pm

farmerjan wrote:We are seeing breds here from $400 to $700 for just average cows. Bought 2 a couple weeks ago, short mouths, for $950 total for both. Bred 4+ months, will calve in the spring. They are bigger cows, 12-1300 lbs with not alot of fat on them. They will probably be one and done, but should gain some weight so will be in the 13-15 wts for cull cows. Maybe by next fall there won't be as many culls around and prices will get better. Culls here are in the .25 to .40 range. And feeder prices fell off this past week from .10 to .40. 3 weeks ago we sold some lt weight heifers off some old cull cows that brought in the 1.10 to 1.25. This past week they were in the mid .80's for some nice heifer calves. Am thinking about buying some heifers, especially herefords or char x as they were in the .70's when the blacks were in the 1.20's so are probably in the basement now. We might be holding most of the feeders until after the first of the year...will see how things go.
Might try to pick up a few more breds if the prices keep falling. Have culled about 25 this past year that were OLD and could do with a few more to fill in the gaps.
yeah I’m looking at a Brahman/Brangus cross around 15-1600 lbs due in feb for a calve and she’s 8 yrs old for 950 weans big calves think probably get about 2-3 more calves out of her or I can get a red angus about 8 yrs old for 750 4 months bred 1300 lbs really big cow and lite bred.

Or should I go the light weight heifer route and buy some of those and sell them late spring.
0 x

5S Cattle
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby 5S Cattle » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:09 pm

:2cents: I’d recommend getting a couple more years of owning/being in the general vacinity of cattle before you start messing with trader cattle.
4 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:39 pm

What do you have to sell?

If you are not trading -- than this is a better time than most to dollar cost average your way into a hungry herd. :cowboy:
0 x
Stocker Steve

BRYANT
GURU
GURU

Postby BRYANT » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:35 pm

If I remember right we had a thread a whole lot like this a few days back. I think it would be helpful as for giving you advise to know how much cattle experience you have and is it in raising them or in trading as in buying today selling with in a week, or have you bought and sold after a few months. If you don't have a lot of sale barn experience it can be a costly adventure or could I say you can loose your britches real fast !! I set in sale barns weekly with my ''trader Grand pa'' for years growing up and I see them pull things today that's hard to believe, you better know what your doing or have a lot of money you don't really need.
I am not trying to be a smarty toward you or a know it all but it is what it is and there can be money made in what you are asking but its not for everyone, even some people that knows cattle wont mess with sale barn cattle.
2 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

Bfields30
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Bfields30 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:53 pm

5S Cattle wrote::2cents: I’d recommend getting a couple more years of owning/being in the general vacinity of cattle before you start messing with trader cattle.

All the cows I’m looking at are from people that I know and live close to me I never bought from sale barn
0 x

Bfields30
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Bfields30 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:54 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:What do you have to sell?

If you are not trading -- than this is a better time than most to dollar cost average your way into a hungry herd. :cowboy:
I have two heifers that Im feeding now 500 plus
0 x

Bfields30
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Bfields30 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:55 pm

BRYANT wrote:If I remember right we had a thread a whole lot like this a few days back. I think it would be helpful as for giving you advise to know how much cattle experience you have and is it in raising them or in trading as in buying today selling with in a week, or have you bought and sold after a few months. If you don't have a lot of sale barn experience it can be a costly adventure or could I say you can loose your britches real fast !! I set in sale barns weekly with my ''trader Grand pa'' for years growing up and I see them pull things today that's hard to believe, you better know what your doing or have a lot of money you don't really need.
I am not trying to be a smarty toward you or a know it all but it is what it is and there can be money made in what you are asking but its not for everyone, even some people that knows cattle wont mess with sale barn cattle.
I have messed with the sale barn yet I’m loooking at cows from some of my buddies that have larger herds.
0 x

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:51 pm

If you can buy them direct you might be better off from a health standpoint. I am not in an area that brahma, or any kind of "ear" cattle would bring any money. Really, here, they wouldn't bring $500 bred. So I can't help you with prices on them. But if you are real good at feeding and getting growth, the smaller ones would be good. However, if you are not willing to put the feed into them, then older breds are better. I would go to the sale barn and see what some are bringing in your area, or get a few of the market reports for your closest sales and then determine if what the neighbors are asking is halfway close to fair. Do you want to be putting feed into a growing young animal, or do you want to do the "calving thing"? It just depends on what you really want to do. We are better at breds and calving in general.
0 x

Return to “Beginners Board”