Long lines

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
sstterry
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Long lines

Postby sstterry » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:42 am

kenny thomas wrote:
sstterry wrote:I don't remember A Greenville owner being on the Board, but they were concerned about how close it was to the Greenville Mkt. Jonesville is a curvy ride when Greenville is only 15 minutes away and I am friends with one of the owners. But my last calves I sold may change my mind. :roll:

Good people at Greenville, if I was closer I would go there. The barn manager Issac is a very good friend. But its 2 hard hours if I'm loaded no matter how I go. Im 11 miles or 15 minutes here and rarely wait over 5 minutes to unload.

I completely understand not wanting the long haul! I am about the same distance from Greenville. Phil, one of the owners has been a friend of my family for probably 50 years. In fact his ex-wife and my mother are still very close.
0 x

sstterry
Rancher
Rancher

Postby sstterry » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:13 pm

CCCowman wrote:
sstterry wrote:They had a proposal to build a new Sale Barn in Baileyton, Tn just off I 81. The reason is that the Kingsport Barn has lost its lease and they wanted approval for a new site. State Commission denied the permit because it was too close to the Greenville Barn.

I go to the Kingsport sale about every Saturday. Haven't heard they lost the lease. Overheard some of the regular buyers talking/grumbling......Definitely need to make some changes over there. I know it's just a cattle sale barn but if they stay around the least they could do is clean the place up a little. Bet there's 500 lbs of cobwebs hanging in the sale arena.

I need to correct what I said about them losing their lease. The article I read was from a few years ago, I did not check the date when I read it. Kingsport has not lost their lease. My apologies.
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:15 pm

our barn was expecting 2500 head yesterday, had to wait for one truck to unload.. happened to be my neighbor!.. I never waited for more than 2 or 3 trucks.. the liners have several of their own docks
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:41 pm

sstterry wrote:
CCCowman wrote:
sstterry wrote:They had a proposal to build a new Sale Barn in Baileyton, Tn just off I 81. The reason is that the Kingsport Barn has lost its lease and they wanted approval for a new site. State Commission denied the permit because it was too close to the Greenville Barn.

I go to the Kingsport sale about every Saturday. Haven't heard they lost the lease. Overheard some of the regular buyers talking/grumbling......Definitely need to make some changes over there. I know it's just a cattle sale barn but if they stay around the least they could do is clean the place up a little. Bet there's 500 lbs of cobwebs hanging in the sale arena.

I need to correct what I said about them losing their lease. The article I read was from a few years ago, I did not check the date when I read it. Kingsport has not lost their lease. My apologies.

The issue actually was that Indian Path Hospital bought the Kingsport stockyard property reportedly to stop the expansion of Holston Valley Medical Center. Nobody was really sure what would happen. Now both hospitals have combined i think. I have been at Kingsport, Greenville, Mascot, when the sales lasted till morning.
1 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

jltrent
GURU
GURU

Postby jltrent » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:10 am

kenny thomas wrote:
sstterry wrote:
CCCowman wrote:

The issue actually was that Indian Path Hospital bought the Kingsport stockyard property reportedly to stop the expansion of Holston Valley Medical Center. Nobody was really sure what would happen. Now both hospitals have combined i think. I have been at Kingsport, Greenville, Mascot, when the sales lasted till morning.

Kenny how did the cow sale go last night, I thought about coming. I have also heard Kingsport is closing for years as I will believe it when I see it. I have taken cattle there as well to Mascot and been to Greenville. Greenville has a good market as I wish I was closer.
0 x

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:15 pm

Cow sale looked too cheap but hardly any going to slaughter so guess that says they brought all they were worth. Not much interest it seemed. I bid 1 time.
0 x

jltrent
GURU
GURU

Postby jltrent » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:19 pm

kenny thomas wrote:Cow sale looked too cheap but hardly any going to slaughter so guess that says they brought all they were worth. Not much interest it seemed. I bid 1 time.

I can't understand that. When they are cheap nobody wants them, and when they were going 2-3 thousands dollars bidders galore. I heard Jonesville had a good sale last Saturday. After the remodel the building sure looks nice as I like how you can walk over top of the cattle and look down on them before the sale.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:51 pm

I can't understand that. When they are cheap nobody wants them, and when they were going 2-3 thousands dollars bidders galore.

That's why they're going for 2-3 thousands dollars.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:13 pm

greybeard wrote:
I can't understand that. When they are cheap nobody wants them, and when they were going 2-3 thousands dollars bidders galore.

That's why they're going for 2-3 thousands dollars.

I think I bought 1 pair during the high time. It just didn't make sense to me. I been buying a few lately but I was sick last night plus my truck has a water pump out so it gave me 2 reasons not to buy.
0 x

Return to “Coffee Shop”