Those of you with Sheep ?

The place to start if you are new!
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Those of you with Sheep ?

Post by skyhightree1 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:44 pm

willow bottom wrote:What kind of hay do hair sheep need high or low quality? I feed filler hay to my cows and supplement with WCS throughout the winter, but what about getting the sheep through winter? Trying to figure out if I can feed the same hay I feed to cows to my sheep.

Mine eat same as cows before they are killed or sold I don't keep them all year not because of any particular reason just don't keep goats sheep or pigs through winter. If my animals cant all survive on the same feeds I won't have them this isn't burger king and they can't have it their way they can only have it my way. :2cents:

Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Backbone Ranch
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Those of you with Sheep ?

Post by Backbone Ranch » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:24 am

When we first bought our sheep, we had them in a dry lot for 6 to 8 weeks, and fed them the same hay that we feed to our cattle. It consists mostly of bluestem, bermuda grass, with some legumes. They would eat that when it was the only thing around. Once we turned them out on pasture, they would not touch it. Even when there was an inch of sleet on the ground, they would walk by the hay without a second glance.
Backbone Ranch- Murray Greys
http://www.backboneranch.com/