When to move the wire?

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
southernultrablack
Rancher
Rancher

When to move the wire?

Post by southernultrablack » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:42 am

For those that strip graze, how do you know when to move the wire? They still seem to have a bit of forage in the paddock, but it’s kinda patchy and I’m not sure how hard to push them to clean it up.

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU

Re: When to move the wire?

Post by Ebenezer » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:50 am

If you have the article that was posted earlier or use a grazing stick approach, estimate the daily needs of the herd and move the fence on the # days rotation you choose to meet that herd need. Somewhere about 3% body weight per cow and 70% utilization on daily moves works.

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Post by 1982vett » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:48 am

Remember...the tops feed the roots. Weak roots leads to weak tops.... may look like you are under utilizing your grass but your also aiding it’s recovery.

In effect, the taller the tops the deeper and more vigorous the roots. Deeper stronger roots help get you through the dry spells in better shape.
Aug 7, 2019 22:51GMT -5 the illustrious potentate said:
Because you have the freedom to say what you think, doesn't always mean that you should.

The right to speak freely is not free of consequences.

Banjo
GURU
GURU

Post by Banjo » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:48 pm

southernultrablack wrote:For those that strip graze, how do you know when to move the wire? They still seem to have a bit of forage in the paddock, but it’s kinda patchy and I’m not sure how hard to push them to clean it up.

If you are allowing them to backgraze (where they have access to what they have already grazed) your previously grazed areas will serve as an overflow. As you move the wire each time your backgrazing area gets bigger. You just have to use your own judgment most of the time. If there is a lot left when you get over it all you can give them the whole thing for a few days if need be.
if there seems to be a lot left, but you think you need to give them a new strip....just make the new area smaller.

That's my opinion.....feel free to make it yours.

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Post by wbvs58 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:52 pm

A lot of work done on ryegrass. The plant uses the root reserves for the initial grow back of the leaves and then when sufficient leaf area photosynthesis takes over. It is suggested that cattle be moved off the grazed area after 3 days as after this they start eating the regrowth and this stifles the replenishment of the root reserves. I apply these principles to most forages I graze.

Ken

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Post by Stocker Steve » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:46 am

Effective biology can get complicated. Depends on what and why and when:

dry cows or pairs or stockers ?
annuals or perennials ?
at spring turnout or growing well or dormant ?
regenerating or maintaining soil?

A common mistake is to give them too big of a strip and then leave them too long to make residual look uniform.
Stocker Steve

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU

Post by Ebenezer » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:15 am

You need to be more lenient or generous with cows nursing calves to be sure the cows are able to produce enough milk. The residual height will be different (higher) that in a slower moving system as in bred cows but some have mentioned that it favors the regrowth of some species of forage. If you want a visual rule, the so-so watch and see of 2 hours of grazing per move 2X day is pretty useful info in beef cattle. Something I have noticed in the long run.