God Bless America! SAV America 8018 to be exact.

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Re: God Bless America! SAV America 8018 to be exact.

Post by True Grit Farms » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:23 pm

It sure would be nice if some of these high falutin Angus breeders would put their bulls in some of these independent bull evaluation test. Anyone can run their mouth, but between EPD'S, HD 50K testing and a real ADG numbers based on feed intake, the truth isn't hard to see.
Who knows maybe SOB would come up with some different ways to bet a bulls performance numbers and someone could make a little side money.

If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

kentuckyguy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by kentuckyguy » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:30 pm

I’ll weigh in here and say that I believe AI using good bulls really fits my goal. Truthfully I just jumped into it last year due after deciding my goals for my cattle.

What it really came down to for me was cost. If I was swimming in money I would just go spend $50-60,000 on the best of the best females and go from there. I don’t have that option so I buy semen from bulls that I feel will better my herd and try to make my cattle better every year.

Last year I had a chance to go look at some of Bright Ravens cattle and right then I decided I needed to start using AI. Having as many good looking cattle as he does didn’t happen by accident. Yes he manages his herd great but he starts with a key ingredient great genetics.

Good genetics is the cheapest input you can invest in. It’s the gift that keeps on giving.

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:32 pm

kentuckyguy wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:30 pm
I’ll weigh in here and say that I believe AI using good bulls really fits my goal. Truthfully I just jumped into it last year due after deciding my goals for my cattle.

What it really came down to for me was cost. If I was swimming in money I would just go spend $50-60,000 on the best of the best females and go from there. I don’t have that option so I buy semen from bulls that I feel will better my herd and try to make my cattle better every year.

Last year I had a chance to go look at some of Bright Ravens cattle and right then I decided I needed to start using AI. Having as many good looking cattle as he does didn’t happen by accident. Yes he manages his herd great but he starts with a key ingredient great genetics.

Good genetics is the cheapest input you can invest in. It’s the gift that keeps on giving.
You speak the truth but let’s not go and give Raven the big head. Lol.
Making Cattle Today Great Again!
Sometimes you do have to throw out the babies with the bath water.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by True Grit Farms » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:33 pm

Brookhill Angus wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:49 pm
Since we are posting pics, here is a bull we have for sale right now, he's 16 months old and ready to go, he is a grandson of OCC Unmistakable 946U, and son of McCumber Unmistakable 573, a bull that sold for I think $14k, at the McCumber sale.

Moral of the story, he's a fine bull, he will do a great job, his dam is massive, his sire and grandsire are both from highly respected programs, he's DNA tested, no recessives, great feet, been developed well, never a bad day. Looks like a bulldozer in person

BUT..........

If he were a SAV President or SAV America son, he wouldn't be heading out the door for $3k as this bull will to some lucky buyer. He would be priced much higher, and I seriously think would look much better, and he would sell much faster.

I rest my case for using AI sires, especially SAV.
Does this mean Harvestor and International are HasBeens already?
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Post by Caustic Burno » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:38 pm

Brookhill Angus wrote:
Since we are posting pics, here is a bull we have for sale right now, he's 16 months old and ready to go, he is a grandson of OCC Unmistakable 946U, and son of McCumber Unmistakable 573, a bull that sold for I think $14k, at the McCumber sale.

Moral of the story, he's a fine bull, he will do a great job, his dam is massive, his sire and grandsire are both from highly respected programs, he's DNA tested, no recessives, great feet, been developed well, never a bad day. Looks like a bulldozer in person

BUT..........

If he were a SAV President or SAV America son, he wouldn't be heading out the door for $3k as this bull will to some lucky buyer. He would be priced much higher, and I seriously think would look much better, and he would sell much faster.

For a 16 month bull he is nice will he still be doing the job at 9 like Obama maintaining BCS BSE. Will he hold together. Looking good today is nice looking good way down the road taking care of business is more important.
Money doesn’t buy happiness, but the lack does buy misery.

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:40 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:38 pm
Brookhill Angus wrote:

BUT..........

For a 16 month bull he is nice will he still be doing the job at 9 like Obama maintaining BCS BSE. Will he hold together. Looking good today is nice looking good way down the road taking care of business is more important.
For a registered Angus hater you sure do brag on your bull a lot.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Post by Caustic Burno » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:43 pm

I don’t hate Angus just a majority of the obnoxious breeders.
When you find one that is not a shyster stick with em.
Money doesn’t buy happiness, but the lack does buy misery.

lithuanian farmer
GURU
GURU

Post by lithuanian farmer » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:44 pm

The news have spread quite quickly already. Also saw how some people reacted to it. That's some mad money for sure. He might be perfect for American industry, but he's lacking for what market needs in Europe. Maybe some will order straws. I believe some will want to have some progeny from a world record bull. But he doesn't look too eye appealing for a commercial farmer. Short in height, too much of the belly and lack of meat in the rear. He sure has some extraordinary growth and I'd be tempted to try him out if he was available here for a smaller cost for a straw. One farmer has mentioned under this bull's sale video that he has some very similar looking angus heifers and he was told that market doesn't need such type animals...

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:01 pm

lithuanian farmer wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:44 pm
The news have spread quite quickly already. Also saw how some people reacted to it. That's some mad money for sure. He might be perfect for American industry, but he's lacking for what market needs in Europe. Maybe some will order straws. I believe some will want to have some progeny from a world record bull. But he doesn't look too eye appealing for a commercial farmer. Short in height, too much of the belly and lack of meat in the rear. He sure has some extraordinary growth and I'd be tempted to try him out if he was available here for a smaller cost for a straw. One farmer has mentioned under this bull's sale video that he has some very similar looking angus heifers and he was told that market doesn't need such type animals...
What is it that the European market wants, lean, stringy beef? We could load you up with Brahman genetics. :banana:

Brookhill Angus
GURU
GURU

Post by Brookhill Angus » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:16 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:40 pm
Caustic Burno wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:38 pm
Brookhill Angus wrote:

For a registered Angus hater you sure do brag on your bull a lot.
I love all my haters, love em! seriously, I somewhat judge my success by how many people are upset at what I’m doing.

If I didn’t have haters, I would be seriously concerned that I was slacking off in the cattle biz.
"When someone tells you it can't be done, it's more a reflection of their limitations, not yours"

lithuanian farmer
GURU
GURU

Post by lithuanian farmer » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:17 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:01 pm

What is it that the European market wants, lean, stringy beef? We could load you up with Brahman genetics. :banana:
Not lean. No market for lean animals at least here. But it has to be higher yielding animal, with more meat. Not necessary double muscled animals, but round shaped animals, bringing good grade for muscularity. Plus good layer of fat. In general properly finished animal with a good shape.
Angus aren't profitable to raise here if you won't sell meat yourself or sell pure animals for breeding. Not talking about all European countries on this fact, but angusx cattle don't sell well in most. There was an auction this week of weanling calves. No angus.

sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU

Post by sim.-ang.king » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:18 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:23 pm
It sure would be nice if some of these high falutin Angus breeders would put their bulls in some of these independent bull evaluation test. Anyone can run their mouth, but between EPD'S, HD 50K testing and a real ADG numbers based on feed intake, the truth isn't hard to see.
Who knows maybe SOB would come up with some different ways to bet a bulls performance numbers and someone could make a little side money.
There is a reason they don't. They have to much invested in the game, to change the rules. :tiphat:

Also, never bet against SOB when it comes to stats and data. :hide:
Why should I apologize for becoming a monster?
Did anyone apologize for making me one?

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Post by ALACOWMAN » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:22 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
lithuanian farmer wrote:
when did you start raising Brahman ?
as an adult,it's clear to me now...why Ernest T Bass, threw rocks at people..

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:26 pm

lithuanian farmer wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:17 pm
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:

Not lean. No market for lean animals at least here. But it has to be higher yielding animal, with more meat. Not necessary double muscled animals, but round shaped animals, bringing good grade for muscularity. Plus good layer of fat. In general properly finished animal with a good shape.
Angus aren't profitable to raise here if you won't sell meat yourself or sell pure animals for breeding. Not talking about all European countries on this fact, but angusx cattle don't sell well in most. There was an auction this week of weanling calves. No angus.
That’s interesting. Thank you for a well thought out reply.

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:28 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:22 pm
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
lithuanian farmer wrote:
when did you start raising Brahman ?
10 minutes after Hades dropped below 32 degrees, and you?