Another shot dead by Mpls police

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Re: Another shot dead by Mpls police

Post by Son of Butch » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:17 pm

The jury reached a verdict in the trial of officer Muhamed Noor today in the shooting death of
Justine Damond. Officer Noor guilty on 2 of 3 charges... 2nd degree murder - Not Guilty

3rd degree murder - Guilty
2nd degree manslaughter - Guilty

Noor was taken into custody and sentencing will done another day.

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Post by Son of Butch » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:30 pm

Hook2.0 wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:00 pm
Horrible thing.
Horrible... ? . guilty on 2 counts... so you disagree with the verdict because you thought Noor
should've been found Not Guilty on all 3 counts because he was innocent or bcs a police officer?

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Post by greybeard » Wed May 01, 2019 1:07 am

Or maybe he meant it was a horrible thing that the un-neccessary and unprovoked death of an innocent person happened?
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke
Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Post by wbvs58 » Wed May 01, 2019 3:14 am

Just tragic all round.

Ken

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Post by Son of Butch » Wed May 01, 2019 4:13 am

What I thought was horrible was the behavior of the investigating police sargent after she arrived
on the scene. It came out at trial that she turned her body camera off and on 3 times at the scene,
to make sure neither of the officers statements about what happened would be recorded.
Allowing them a full day to get their stories straight in private for the official report.
She also signed off on having the car cleaned, before a different investigator put a stop to that
by having it impounded the next morning. 51 sets of finger prints were found on the car.
None of them belonging to Justine. Which kind of poked a hole in the official story that the
victim came up and slapped the car, causing officer Noor to react as he did.

To me this sargent's actions and behavior could be viewed 3 ways, corrupt (unlikely)
incompetent (likely) or arrogant in believing police officers have protection not afforded to others.
In effect intentionally or unintentionally elevating police officers to a position above the law.

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Post by Son of Butch » Wed May 01, 2019 6:44 am

There is a segment within the community calling the verdict blatantly unfair and biased against
officer Noor based on the victim being white and his religion. Their activists are planning a rally.
Though it shouldn't matter the sargent mentioned above was white and the jury of 12 who reach the
unanimous decision included 6 persons of color, 2 of whom were musilm and a buddhist.
Last edited by Son of Butch on Wed May 01, 2019 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by True Grit Farms » Wed May 01, 2019 6:53 am

Take it for what it's worth, I don't feel Noor shot her just for the pleasure of killing her. There's some things in life where sorry just doesn't cut it, and this is one of those.
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Post by Son of Butch » Wed May 01, 2019 7:11 am

3rd degree murder is an almost unheard of charge and verdict.
It is my understanding it finds that he intentionally pulled the trigger, but a lesser degree with
intent to murder due extenuating circumstances agitating his state of mind when he decided to fire.

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Post by ga.prime » Wed May 01, 2019 7:22 am

Noor should have never been a policeman, probably got hired to fill a quota. Should have been given a desk job.
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Post by Son of Butch » Wed May 01, 2019 7:23 am

What gets me is it appeared it was well on it's way to being swept under the carpet until the
realization of national/international attention.

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Post by Son of Butch » Wed May 01, 2019 7:28 am

ga.prime wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 7:22 am
Noor should have never been a policeman, probably got hired to fill a quota. Should have been given a desk job.
He was recruited and fast tracked in a special program with a goal of increasing Mpls police force
diversity on the streets asap. It appeared to back fire as the lesbian chief of police was fired...
making the police force even less diverse.

Now they have to try to find a lesbian, Smolian, muslim police officer all because they allowed him to carry a bullet for his gun.

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Post by Son of Butch » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:46 pm

update:

Muhamed Noor was sentenced today, sentencing guidelines called for 11-15 years in prison.
He received 12 1/2 years and he will be eligible for parole in 8 yrs 4 months in 2027.

IF I were the judge: 11 yrs with parole after 7 yrs 4 months.
Incarcerating him beyond 7.33 years serves no real purpose and only costs taxpayers more.

IMO - sentences longer than 6 yrs for crimes without intent risks creating more resentment and
bitterness upon release which makes return to society in a good state of mind more difficult.

The city of Minneapolis settled out of court with Justine's family for 22 million dollars.
Last edited by Son of Butch on Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Post by greybeard » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:06 pm

I think the sentence was more fair than we see most of the time in these type shootings.
What's another year of taxpayer payout for prison time when viewed as the taxpayer paying the $22 million settlement..at very least, the taxpayer boots the bill for the city's liability insurance.
IMO, the shooter should have had to pay a good part of that financial settlement, but I also realize that isn't how it works.
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke
Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Post by Son of Butch » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:20 pm

Son of Butch wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:46 pm
update:

Muhamed Noor was sentenced today, sentencing guidelines called for 11-15 years in prison.
He received 12 1/2 years and he will be eligible for parole in 8 yrs 4 months in 2027.

Incarcerating him beyond 7.33 years serves no real purpose and only costs taxpayers more.

IMO - sentences longer than 6 yrs for crimes without intent risks creating more resentment and
bitterness upon release which makes return to society in a good state of mind more difficult.

The city of Minneapolis settled out of court with Justine's family for 22 million dollars.
Last week Mohamed Noor age 33 was transferred from Mn prison to North Dakota prison due
to concerns regarding his safety. He is scheduled to be released August 30, 2027.

Carpenter2n
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Carpenter2n » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:12 pm

Son of Butch wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:46 pm
update:

Seems to me he has already displayed a level of resentment and a negative state of mind in shooting an unarmed woman. IMO, who gives a rats ____ about his state of mind. He took an oath to serve and protect, and instead he chose to shoot without any attempt to clarify a situation.

This is a red herring. It is completely irrelevant to his sentencing /punishment. I doubt her family feels it compensates them for their loss.
I started out an expert then spent the rest of my life learning all the things I didn't know....

Breathing is highly underrated!