Cowboy Up,fixing an udder?

Breed your cows to the best bulls in the nation!
Ebenezer
GURU
GURU

Re: Cowboy Up,fixing an udder?

Post by Ebenezer » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:16 am

jscunn wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:22 am
I don't see what you guys do, the stride is pretty darn smooth when is passing in front of the grain bin. As far as muscle goes he isn't the heaviest muscled bull I have ever seen but you guys are missing the fact he is in working clothes instead of all fattened up standing in a pen full of straw, a lot of the "muscle" you see in cattle nowadays is the of the white variety.

I thought it took a lot of guts to post a video of a bull that green walking on dirt, hats off to Mogck or whoever did it.
I've no dog in the fight but the bull is proper condition and well balanced. I know nothing of his EPDs, pedigree or owners. The fault I see is in the stride as he does not track rear feet into front tracks. That tells me there is a bone angle issue that I do not want to have if I can avoid it.

Bright Raven
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Bright Raven » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:44 am

That calf is nice. Stout, good bone.
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

southernultrablack
Rancher
Rancher

Post by southernultrablack » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:11 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:44 am
That calf is nice. Stout, good bone.
Thank you!
To be clear, the pic is not the Cowboy Up calf. It is due in about a month. The picture is just to show the caliber of calves the cow has produced.

Richnm
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by Richnm » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:32 pm

I sell hay to the Breeder of 3F Epic. Putting Epic aside, the guy knows cattle and knows how to breed. He told me Enhance calves weaned 100 pounds lighter than all the other calves and were weak mid rib to tail. He used Enhance on 1682 daughters thinking the 1882 daughters would fix Enhances weak rear and depth. He said it didn’t work. He is not keeping any Enhance progeny or selling to his customers. And he LOVES Cowboy up. Corrected to clarify he used 1682 daughters hoping to help Enhances rear and depth. Not Enhance to fix 1682. I wasn’t clear enough.
Last edited by Richnm on Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Epd’s mean nothing without feed, feed your dam cows.”

CreekAngus
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by CreekAngus » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:09 pm

Richnm wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:32 pm
I sell hay to the Breeder of 3F Epic. Putting Epic aside, the guy knows cattle and knows how to breed. He told me Enhance calves weaned 100 pounds lighter than all the other calves and were weak mid rib to tail. He used Enhance on 1682 daughters thinking he could fix the his weak rear and depth. He said it didn’t work. He is not keeping any Enhance progeny or selling to his customers. And he LOVES Cowboy up.
No wonder this guy doesn’t know who is the dam for Epic, he’s attempting to use Enhance to add depth and rear to cattle, both of which 1682 is known for and something Enhance isn’t.....I’m being snarky. Since you know the breeder can you give us some insight as to who the real dam is for Epic?
A brand ins’t something you earn, it’s something you live up to - John Dutton

Richnm
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by Richnm » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:18 pm

I wouldn’t get into that. Wouldn’t want to be nice off a customer. I can vouch he makes $$$$ on cattle. There was a post a while back on Black Magic after Universal said “he looks like a Simmental and doubted he was full blooded angus”. I think some “hybrid vigor” is injected and the sires/dams are switched etc. I know a breeder in Utah that told me he does so.
“Epd’s mean nothing without feed, feed your dam cows.”

CreekAngus
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by CreekAngus » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:03 pm

Richnm wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:18 pm
I wouldn’t get into that. Wouldn’t want to be nice off a customer. I can vouch he makes $$$$ on cattle. There was a post a while back on Black Magic after Universal said “he looks like a Simmental and doubted he was full blooded angus”. I think some “hybrid vigor” is injected and the sires/dams are switched etc. I know a breeder in Utah that told me he does so.
Unfortunately those shenanigans has happened in the breed. Hopefully with dna, it will be a thing of the past.
A brand ins’t something you earn, it’s something you live up to - John Dutton

Stickney94
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Stickney94 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:35 am

Ebenezer wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:16 am
The fault I see is in the stride as he does not track rear feet into front tracks. That tells me there is a bone angle issue that I do not want to have if I can avoid it.
Ebenezer/or others

When you say "does not track" above -- are you looking for the rear hoof to land exactly in the same spot as the front step? Or you speaking that the rear hoof lands not directly behind the front step (laterally/horizontally)? The bull looks fairly long, so wasn't sure how body length factors into assessment of stride?

Always trying to learn myself, so thanks for any knowledge you can share!

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU

Post by Ebenezer » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:34 pm

"...the rear hoof to land exactly in the same spot as the front step?" or within a few inches. I'll try to dig up some recently published info I read the other night. Dr. Robert Long had the most research on it at CSU but it might be too dated to be assumed relevant for modern thinkers. For me, it is a great knowledge base and a way to avoid the problems. I enjoyed corresponding with him after he retired and always enjoyed his books, papers and AJ articles from years back.

The body looks long because the leg bones are set at a different angle than the norm. Few bulls have been documented with an extra set of ribs.

Stickney94
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Stickney94 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:06 pm

Ebenezer wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:34 pm
The body looks long because the leg bones are set at a different angle than the norm. Few bulls have been documented with an extra set of ribs.
Thanks! I will do some looking for those sources.

I have two steers I should take photos of -- one is stubby short -- maybe he has fewer ribs? haha.

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU

Post by Ebenezer » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:51 pm