Kleingrass is poison to horses. Spread the word!!

All about horses.
wbwiles
Beginner
Beginner

Kleingrass is poison to horses. Spread the word!!

Post by wbwiles » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:06 am

I've had a few friends just tell me about the death :shock: of their horses ( Weatherford Texas ) because the hay was contaminated with Kliengrass. It spreads into adjacent fields and ruins the hay for equine forage. Please tell your friends to stop planting this foreign African species.

Also the cattle pasture forum is ripe with people advocating planting this poison and evidently unaware how toxic is is and what a problem this is becoming for horse owners.

Seriously, these side affects are what happens when you introduce foreign plants.

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Re: Kleingrass is poison to horses. Spread the word!!

Post by callmefence » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:13 am

wbwiles wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:06 am
I've had a few friends just tell me about the death :shock: of their horses ( Weatherford Texas ) because the hay was contaminated with Kliengrass. It spreads into adjacent fields and ruins the hay for equine forage. Please tell your friends to stop planting this foreign African species.

Also the cattle pasture forum is ripe with people advocating planting this poison and evidently unaware how toxic is is and what a problem this is becoming for horse owners.

Seriously, these side affects are what happens when you introduce foreign plants.
Like coastal Bermuda???
Klien grass was never toxic to horses before the internet. Don't believe everything you read.
Support your local hardworking white boy.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

bird dog
GURU
GURU

Post by bird dog » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:54 pm

On the road to the salebarn there is a pasture with a excellent stand of Klein that I envy every time I drive past. It stays knee deep all summer long except when the farmer cuts & bales it up. There are four horses that spend their life in that field.

Maybe these horses just got use to it? Maybe the answer to the horse folks is to plant it when their horses are young and get them used to it. By the way, its an excellent drought hardy grass that reseeds itself and doesn't require many inputs.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Post by greybeard » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:28 pm

I've heard the 'Kliengrass is toxic' thing (bon jour) but my neighbor's 5 horses been on Klien hay for 5 years now.
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke
Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.