Spring Breeding, What's Everyone Using?

Breed your cows to the best bulls in the nation!
YoungAngusCattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Spring Breeding, What's Everyone Using?

Post by YoungAngusCattle » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:44 am

I saw the thread for fall breeding, but I can't be the only one that is starting too narrow down my semen selection and AI protocol for spring. As of right now I am considering using these bulls:

SAV Bruiser (already have in tank, love the Circle A Alliance data, semen used to be cheap but I heard they are gonna start running low now that he is gone so I may have too pivot off my "commercial" cow semen, daughters aren't going to be front pasture quality but are probably my most profitable.)

KCF Southside (already have in tank, good numbers with high accuracy, that HP EPD is very intriguing, a good option too add frame on some smaller cows, might add too much frame.)

SAV Extension (already have heifer semen in tank, like the double EXT on the top side combined with 4136 on the bottom, would be interesting to bred the heifers with my SAV bull having 4136 on the top and bottom of his pedigree, would like to see a better DMI and RADG but the low acc doesn't have me that concerned.)

Kramers Apollo (the HP is great, the moderate DMI and RADG is nice, good $M, the milk might be a little much for me, haven't really heard much about this bull and can't figure out why.)

TEX Playbook (affordable semen, powerful looking phenotype with a good set of maternal EPDs too back it up, a positive $EN which is hard to find nowadays, terrible foot EPDs but I don't think we have enough data collected on that to use that as a selection tool yet.)

Duff Goose (attracted to the phenotype of this bull, like the heavy OCC influence on the top side combined with useable EPDs, could be used to bring down those large framed cows that aren't as easy doing as we'd like, the HP is a little scary, looks like he will take quite a bit of frame off which could contribute to the CEM there.)

ZWT Summit (like the cow power in the pedigree, sexed semen available, can moderate milk, haven't really looked too heavily into this bull yet.)

As of right now I'm leaning toward using the rest of my sexed Extension semen, using the rest of my Bruiser and getting some Playbook.

As far as my plan, I'm gonna get all my cows up in early April/end of March to worm them, like I do every year, but this time I'm gonna give multimin. Then proceed with the 7 day synch too breed in May, AI anything that comes into natural heat before the synch, and turn the bulls out in June.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright
"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence." - Lombardi

Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Spring Breeding, What's Everyone Using?

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:59 pm

Simmental bulls:
I plan to narrow my semen purchase down this year also. I have quite a few great bulls in the tank that I need to use up. This year's calf crop is 2 or 3 of this bull & 2 or 3 of that bull.
W/C Executive Order - plan to use quite a bit. Have a couple coming
MR CCF 20-20 - have a few coming and plan to use heavier.
TKCC CLASSIFIED - Love his calves - not a CE bull - will continue using
Mr CCF Clarified - a 20-20 son - 1st calves coming
LLSF PAYS TO BELIEVE ZU194 - few coming - not planning to buy more
W/C Bankroll - 3 or 4 coming. Not planning to buy more
Mack AF - (red bull) - go to red bull but not a calving ease bull - got 4 coming & will continue to use
Kappes Pendleton - only had 1 coming and it was a heifer (will be in the Stars & Stripes Sale. Would breed a bunch to him,
but semen not available
W/C HOC HCC Red Answer 33B - 3 bred to him. 1st one born - top notch heifer!! Don't think his semen is available. (edit: he is hetero polled, so I'm not crazy about that).

Looking for a great red bull to replace Pendleton. Looking at Felt Last Call. There are TONS of great BLACK bulls available, but limited GREAT red bulls. Looking for structure, volume, muscling, growth with great feminine front ends.
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Purebredanguscattle
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Purebredanguscattle » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:15 pm

Sav emblem
Mohnen South Dakota
Ext
Byergo Black magic
Cowboy up
Dually
Diesel
Enhance
Sensation
Schieflebein attractive

LCBulls
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by LCBulls » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:20 pm

Emblem looks really promising.
Shiefelbein Attractive sure produces nice calves. I really like his son Showman.

We will probably try to sample SAV Emblem, use some America to flush and use our remaining U-2 Coalition. We also will use Sitz Accomplishment again if his calves look nice this Spring

Franke
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by Franke » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:21 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:59 pm
Simmental bulls:
Looking for a great red bull to replace Pendleton. Looking at Felt Last Call. There are TONS of great BLACK bulls available, but limited GREAT red bulls. Looking for structure, volume, muscling, growth with great feminine front ends.
Last Call looks pretty good. I think he should throw plenty of white with the white foot and all the white underneath him. I see there are a couple more red bulls out of Executive Order that showed up recently from Altenbergs and Paint Brush.

Franke
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by Franke » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:25 pm

We will use a bunch of different bulls to match up to cows. Some on the list are Oracle, Epic, Bankroll, Executive Order, Sure Bet, Milestone, Ironhide, Brilliance, Cowboss, and some others on cows with Black Hawk, Big Timber, and High Stakes on the heifers.

Josher
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Josher » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:35 pm

From the tank
Resource
Stunner 316

Bulls I’m considering:
Attractive
Tourqe
Roughrider
Barricade
Peak dot undisputed
Unanimous
Roper
Chap heifer semen
Rainmaster heifer semen
Bruiser

rollinhills
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by rollinhills » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:14 pm

Josher wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:35 pm
From the tank
Resource
Stunner 316

Bulls I’m considering:
Attractive
Tourqe
Roughrider
Barricade
Peak dot undisputed
Unanimous
Roper
Chap heifer semen
Rainmaster heifer semen
Bruiser
Do you have any Stunner calves? I've got 2 bulls really like them so far, couldn't find any semen to use him again really hurt my feelings.

Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:09 pm

Franke - funny you would mention Paint Brush - Cattle Vision just announced carrying PBF Red Paint. Picture and numbers looks good. I will have to try to find someone that has seen him for structure. Although, so far, EO has proven to sire some really nice ones. I am checking out whether they are testing him for Homo Polled. Right now, he is just listed Polled.
As I was typing this, I got a call from Paint Brush Farm. They are testing him now. Dam & Granddam are polled and have never produced anything horned, so they are "assuming" he is Homo, but awaiting test results.
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Franke
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by Franke » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:02 pm

Jeanne - I had seen that cattle visions announced him on Facebook and thought he looked good...didn’t surprise me that he was an Executive Order though.

torogmc81
GURU
GURU

Post by torogmc81 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:12 am

rollinhills wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:14 pm
Josher wrote:
From the tank
Resource
Stunner 316

Bulls I’m considering:
Attractive
Tourqe
Roughrider
Barricade
Peak dot undisputed
Unanimous
Roper
Chap heifer semen
Rainmaster heifer semen
Bruiser
Do you have any Stunner calves? I've got 2 bulls really like them so far, couldn't find any semen to use him again really hurt my feelings.
Stunner is done producing. Use his son Crackerjack at ST

Jake
GURU
GURU

Post by Jake » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:47 am

Renown
Resource
Supercharger
Ajax

Thinking about breeding the heifer crop to S Powerpoint. I struggle every year to find a heifer bull that I like and he has been on my watch list since he was a yearling.

I'm going to continue to stay away from using the Charlo sons. Have plenty of his genetics in the cows we bought so I'll evaluate how they work for us before we think about using any of them.

Josher
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Josher » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:35 am

rollinhills wrote:
Josher wrote:
From the tank
Resource
Stunner 316

Bulls I’m considering:
Attractive
Tourqe
Roughrider
Barricade
Peak dot undisputed
Unanimous
Roper
Chap heifer semen
Rainmaster heifer semen
Bruiser
I got 3 bull calves and 3 heifer calves from him. I would say they’re all good. My favourite might be one of the heifer calves. But the bulls are growing good. Nice shape to them. I’m kinda amazed how consistent they are. I thought genex had him in 2020 catalogue but there sold out already?

torogmc81
GURU
GURU

Post by torogmc81 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:37 pm

Musgrave Exclusive (sorted)
TEX Playbook
Musgrave Crackerjack (sorted)
SAV Rainfall
SAV Resource
Deer Valley Growth Fund
SAV Territory

rollinhills
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by rollinhills » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:06 pm

Josher wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:35 am
rollinhills wrote:
Josher wrote:
From the tank
Resource
Stunner 316

Bulls I’m considering:
Attractive
Tourqe
Roughrider
Barricade
Peak dot undisputed
Unanimous
Roper
Chap heifer semen
Rainmaster heifer semen
Bruiser
I got 3 bull calves and 3 heifer calves from him. I would say they’re all good. My favourite might be one of the heifer calves. But the bulls are growing good. Nice shape to them. I’m kinda amazed how consistent they are. I thought genex had him in 2020 catalogue but there sold out already?
My understanding he got hurt in a breeding pasture no semen anywhere for him. Supposedly Musgraves don't even have any, don't know if you can believe any of what I was told. info is from my AI guy, he's a Genex Rep.