Feeding out a couple steers

Backgrounding & feeding questions.
BC
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2455
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2004 6:55 am
Location: Van Zandt County, TX
Has thanked: 36 times
Been thanked: 30 times

Re: Feeding out a couple steers

Post by BC » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:55 am

shaz wrote: ↑
Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:53 pm
Is there any reason to ever take them off grass? Seems like grazing and 10-15lbs of feed per day would work well and be cost effective in the later development stages.
10 to 15 bs of feed is not enough. Full feed means 2.5 to 3% of body weight. At 2.5% of body weight a 750 calf would eat 18.75 lbs per day, at 1000 lbs they eat 25 lbs/day and at1200 lbs they eat 30 lbs/day. All this in addition to hay.



User avatar
Son of Butch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6356
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:44 pm
Location: Frost Bite Falls, Minnesota
Has thanked: 209 times
Been thanked: 417 times

Re: Feeding out a couple steers

Post by Son of Butch » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:13 pm

BC wrote: ↑
Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:55 am
shaz wrote: ↑
Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:53 pm
Is there any reason to ever take them off grass?
Seems like grazing and 10-15 lbs of feed per day would work well and be cost effective in the
later development stages.
Full feed means 2.5 to 3% of body weight.
At 2.5% of body weight a 750 calf would eat 18.75 lbs per day...
All this in addition to hay.
ahhh no... eating 2.5% of body weight includes whatever hay they eat, not in addition to.
2.5% - 3% = 18.75 - 22.5 lbs at 750 lbs.
18.75 lbs + 1.25 lbs of hay = 20 lbs or 2.67% at 750 lbs

12 lbs of feed AND grazing 10 lbs (dm) per day = 22 lbs or 2.93% of body weight at 750 lbs.
Last edited by Son of Butch on Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
FarmerShell
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 637
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:06 pm
Location: Kentucky
Has thanked: 374 times
Been thanked: 60 times

Re: Feeding out a couple steers

Post by FarmerShell » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:15 pm

Porkchopfat wrote: ↑
Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:48 pm
I am working on a steer feed out myself right now. If I have interpreted Texas Bred's post correctly I should be successfull. I am feeding loanstar 1025. It is less than 10% Crude fiber, it is the first thing I look at on the feed tag. It should indicate by the by that you are getting a good high grain supplement. I feed 1 lbs of 1025 and 1 lbs of corn twice a day to start. After 10 days I add another 1 lbs of corn. Keep adding corn and possibly 1025 till he is on full feed. Make sure to have plenty of long fiber hay available to control/slow digestion and keep the rumen nice and healthy. But I could be off so ... how close is that TB.
Ok explain where the porkchopfat came from? It's not a beer gut but porkchopfat? 🀣

User avatar
shaz
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1656
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:04 pm
Location: Middle Tn
Has thanked: 25 times
Been thanked: 89 times

Re: Feeding out a couple steers

Post by shaz » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:14 am

Son of Butch wrote: ↑
Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:13 pm
BC wrote: ↑
Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:55 am
shaz wrote: ↑
Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:53 pm
Is there any reason to ever take them off grass?
Seems like grazing and 10-15 lbs of feed per day would work well and be cost effective in the
later development stages.
Full feed means 2.5 to 3% of body weight.
At 2.5% of body weight a 750 calf would eat 18.75 lbs per day...
All this in addition to hay.
ahhh no... eating 2.5% of body weight includes whatever hay they eat, not in addition to.
2.5% - 3% = 18.75 - 22.5 lbs at 750 lbs.
18.75 lbs + 1.25 lbs of hay = 20 lbs or 2.67% at 750 lbs

12 lbs of feed AND grazing 10 lbs (dm) per day = 22 lbs or 2.93% of body weight at 750 lbs.
Correct, 10-15lbs per day AND grazing. Never meant to imply this was full feed.
"The Pope? How many divisions does he have?" Joseph Stalin

Porkchopfat
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 61
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:19 pm
Location: North east Texas
Has thanked: 51 times
Been thanked: 15 times

Re: Feeding out a couple steers

Post by Porkchopfat » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:44 pm

FarmerShell wrote: ↑
Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:15 pm
Porkchopfat wrote: ↑
Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:48 pm
I am working on a steer feed out myself right now. If I have interpreted Texas Bred's post correctly I should be successfull. I am feeding loanstar 1025. It is less than 10% Crude fiber, it is the first thing I look at on the feed tag. It should indicate by the by that you are getting a good high grain supplement. I feed 1 lbs of 1025 and 1 lbs of corn twice a day to start. After 10 days I add another 1 lbs of corn. Keep adding corn and possibly 1025 till he is on full feed. Make sure to have plenty of long fiber hay available to control/slow digestion and keep the rumen nice and healthy. But I could be off so ... how close is that TB.
Ok explain where the porkchopfat came from? It's not a beer gut but porkchopfat? 🀣
Well long story made short. I grew up in Iowa and at the fair they had these very greasy, thick porkchop sandwiches. Oh they were the best eats around. I grew up moved away and sorely missed those chops. Came up with the name from that. I haven't had a great pork chop in years.
Usmc retired.
Producing a product for a market rather than producing a product and trying to find a market for it are two separate activities.

Jeffrey W. Savell TAMU

User avatar
sstterry
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1887
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:04 am
Location: Bulls Gap, TN
Has thanked: 584 times
Been thanked: 363 times

Re: Feeding out a couple steers

Post by sstterry » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:32 am

Porkchopfat wrote: ↑
Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:44 pm
Well long story made short. I grew up in Iowa and at the fair they had these very greasy, thick porkchop sandwiches. Oh they were the best eats around. I grew up moved away and sorely missed those chops. Came up with the name from that. I haven't had a great pork chop in years.
I have no idea how old you are, but hogs are a lot leaner these days than they used to be. They used to have sandwiches like that at the Louisville Farm Show.

Porkchopfat
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 61
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:19 pm
Location: North east Texas
Has thanked: 51 times
Been thanked: 15 times

Re: Feeding out a couple steers

Post by Porkchopfat » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:59 am

sstterry wrote: ↑
Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:32 am
Porkchopfat wrote: ↑
Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:44 pm
Well long story made short. I grew up in Iowa and at the fair they had these very greasy, thick porkchop sandwiches. Oh they were the best eats around. I grew up moved away and sorely missed those chops. Came up with the name from that. I haven't had a great pork chop in years.
I have no idea how old you are, but hogs are a lot leaner these days than they used to be. They used to have sandwiches like that at the Louisville Farm Show.
I will be 50 next month so yep hogs have changed a bunch over the years. My daughter raises one every year for the FFA show. It is very interesting helping her with feed and all that goes into a hog now.
Usmc retired.
Producing a product for a market rather than producing a product and trying to find a market for it are two separate activities.

Jeffrey W. Savell TAMU

Bcompton53
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 193
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:03 pm
Location: Kansas
Has thanked: 67 times
Been thanked: 84 times

Re: Feeding out a couple steers

Post by Bcompton53 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:42 pm

Porkchopfat wrote: ↑
Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:59 am
sstterry wrote: ↑
Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:32 am
Porkchopfat wrote: ↑
Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:44 pm
Well long story made short. I grew up in Iowa and at the fair they had these very greasy, thick porkchop sandwiches. Oh they were the best eats around. I grew up moved away and sorely missed those chops. Came up with the name from that. I haven't had a great pork chop in years.
I have no idea how old you are, but hogs are a lot leaner these days than they used to be. They used to have sandwiches like that at the Louisville Farm Show.
I will be 50 next month so yep hogs have changed a bunch over the years. My daughter raises one every year for the FFA show. It is very interesting helping her with feed and all that goes into a hog now.
They hardly look like the same animal from the neck back.

Porkchopfat
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 61
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:19 pm
Location: North east Texas
Has thanked: 51 times
Been thanked: 15 times

Re: Feeding out a couple steers

Post by Porkchopfat » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:44 pm

Bcompton53 wrote: ↑
Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:42 pm
Porkchopfat wrote: ↑
Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:59 am
sstterry wrote: ↑
Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:32 am


I have no idea how old you are, but hogs are a lot leaner these days than they used to be. They used to have sandwiches like that at the Louisville Farm Show.
I will be 50 next month so yep hogs have changed a bunch over the years. My daughter raises one every year for the FFA show. It is very interesting helping her with feed and all that goes into a hog now.
They hardly look like the same animal from the neck back.
You are right on there. I remember the old man would put his thumb on the flat part of his pocketknife. Then slide the blade into the hog untill he squealed, mark the spot and pull the blade out. He was looking for more than an inch of fat on the back of them hogs. That's how we liked to eat them back then. Now they are a big old mass of muscle. Make good eating too. But the lard back then was so much better. My dad's mom ate sliced bread with a smear of lard and a sprinkle of sugar. I was not trying that though.
Usmc retired.
Producing a product for a market rather than producing a product and trying to find a market for it are two separate activities.

Jeffrey W. Savell TAMU

User avatar
FarmerShell
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 637
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:06 pm
Location: Kentucky
Has thanked: 374 times
Been thanked: 60 times

Re: Feeding out a couple steers

Post by FarmerShell » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:32 pm

So am I the youngest (adult) farmer here? I'm only 21 😁

User avatar
FarmerShell
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 637
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:06 pm
Location: Kentucky
Has thanked: 374 times
Been thanked: 60 times

Re: Feeding out a couple steers

Post by FarmerShell » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:47 am

FarmerShell wrote: ↑
Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:32 pm
So am I the youngest (adult) farmer here? I'm only 21 😁
Yea I'm far from 21! :lol: :lol: :lol2: Forever 21 in my head. Haha Sure don't feel like it.

Bcompton53
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 193
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:03 pm
Location: Kansas
Has thanked: 67 times
Been thanked: 84 times

Re: Feeding out a couple steers

Post by Bcompton53 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:57 am

Well as a follow up to the steer feeding. Here is what it produced. For an S Summit steer, I think he turned out looking alright. He's like a barrel with feet. I don't have a picture from the back, but he's wide (a little bit of the angus hatchet, but oh well). We will have to see how he looks with the hide removed. He goes to the locker today. Thanks for all of the above advice. I'm guessing he weighs about 1320 live weight
Image

User avatar
MurraysMutts
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 285
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:51 pm
Location: N. Central boonies, Oklahoma
Has thanked: 67 times
Been thanked: 111 times

Re: Feeding out a couple steers

Post by MurraysMutts » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:00 am

Thanks for the update.
Always like to hear the outcome.
How old is he?
Looks like he'll make good supper
Crossbred for high bread vinegar....

User avatar
sstterry
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1887
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:04 am
Location: Bulls Gap, TN
Has thanked: 584 times
Been thanked: 363 times

Re: Feeding out a couple steers

Post by sstterry » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:35 pm

What is the average cost to butcher one (I realize it may vary by location)? I will be taking one soon, but have never paid to have it done.

Bcompton53
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 193
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:03 pm
Location: Kansas
Has thanked: 67 times
Been thanked: 84 times

Re: Feeding out a couple steers

Post by Bcompton53 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:21 pm

MurraysMutts wrote: ↑
Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:00 am
Thanks for the update.
Always like to hear the outcome.
How old is he?
Looks like he'll make good supper
He is 18-19 months now.

We will see on the cost to butcher. The locker told me they average about $1/lb total cost (all fees). Which seems high, but it was the only place we could get in to.

Post Reply