Colic

Help Support CattleToday:

papavillars

Reaction score
Granddaughter horse got the colic. She called me Monday night said her horse seemed in distress. Had the vet out and tubed him. Two hours later same procedure. No relief so took him to an equine hospital at lone star race track. Appears it is going to be a slow process to get him back in racing form. She had just started ( cashing checks) placing in her division. I am new to the horse game. Guess I need to get a bigger wallet.

Kinda rare for a horse with no history to colic. What went on that was a little different.

Bigfoot":21o1hmnq said:
Kinda rare for a horse with no history to colic. What went on that was a little different.

That's what I would wonder as well.

What type of colic? Impaction, gas, sand,ulcers, issues with the cecum, torsion?
I've known some horses that would colic every time the barometric pressure changed. :roll:

As delicate as their digestive tract can be, I think it's a wonder they're not extinct.

We lost a nice mare on the operating table in Paducah probably fifteen yrs ago. I had hauled her a bunch and gave her to my daughter to high school on. She got down at a HS rodeo in Eddyville for some reason and the vet center there couldn't save her. Big loss for us. We had raised her and I had started her/finished her myself. One of the family, and had won quite a good chunk on her.

Maybe you all will have better luck in the treatment/recovery.

papavillars":2y3hubbv said:
Granddaughter horse got the colic. She called me Monday night said her horse seemed in distress. Had the vet out and tubed him. Two hours later same procedure. No relief so took him to an equine hospital at lone star race track. Appears it is going to be a slow process to get him back in racing form. She had just started ( cashing checks) placing in her division. I am new to the horse game. Guess I need to get a bigger wallet.
Find out what kind of feed ration the horse is on. Could be an overload of starches from a ration high in grain and low in fiber.