Yield on a young cow -- for burger

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Re: Yield on a young cow -- for burger

Postby Son of Butch » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:11 pm

I always ask for the tenderloin (center cut Tenderloin = filet mignon) and let the butcher decide any other steaks.

My order sheet on this cow, tenderloin, (3) 3 lb roasts, slice the liver if good, NY Strip steaks only if you'd eat them
otherwise grind all into hamburger.

I'm hoping for 277 lbs take home from this cow, 100 lbs less than the 1st cow, but afraid she might be more bone
than meat.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:14 pm

I rode with one of my neighbors when he took an old cull cow to butcher (all grind) and the processor refused. Said it wouldn't be worth the time - effort he would have to take to do it. "That thing wouldn't even make good buzzard bait.."
She did look pretty bad tho.

(this is a good thread...good info and glad to see it being updated)
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:34 pm

Posted by Son of Butch:
Butchering fees totaled $448.50 or 69 cents lb hanging weight or $1.19 lb of finished product.
Butchered another cull cow... 14 hr over night stand with no feed or water before weighing
Live Weight Empty: 1,090 lbs
Body Condition Score 4... a thin cow and limping on a sore rear foot (probable Hoof Abscess)
Slaughter Value $400 (39 cents lb live weight = $425 minus commission and selling fees = $400)
1st cow was BCS 6 so I do not expect this one will do nearly as well as her.
I'll update in about 10 days when I get the rest of the information and pick up the meat from our butcher.

Did you get any calves out of her at all?
If you had to answer yea or nay, would you say before butchering, you had already gotten your input costs back on her?

I understand it isn't "all about $$" but just looked, and a regional grocer here (H-E-B) sells 3 lb chubs of 73/27 ground beef for $7.44 or $2.48/lb.
I realize the 1st one wasn't all ground into burger, and you didn't say what lean:fat ratio you wanted but your $1.19/lb looks pretty dang good in comparison to our local retail prices of 'cheap' beef burger.

https://www.heb.com/product-detail/hill ... ean/312964

Product Description
73% lean. 27% fat. All natural (Minimally processed with no artificial ingredients). US inspected and passed by Department of Agriculture. Fresh roll. Our product is packed in this wrapper to protect its freshness, natural juices and flavor. When you first open this package, you will notice a darker color. This is the natural color of meat until it is exposed to the air. Once air does reach the meat, you'll notice it blooms to a bright cherry red. Product of US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and Mexico.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

Covet Not!

NonTypicalCPA
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NonTypicalCPA » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:26 pm

Ok maybe I overstated her roundness a little. She does have a 4 month old calf on her though.

0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:31 pm

Good thread. I was just talking to a neighbor and asked if they needed any hamburg. I have quite a bit left over and will be picking up 1/2 a steer tomorrow. She is taking 15# at $4.50/lb based on price she has been paying at store.
And yes, Quality grade & Yield grade are the same as many years ago.
A COW does not grade. Can't remember the cutoff age - 18 months I believe. They go by when the cartilage or bone calcifies??? Anyway, a cow is graded - boner, cutter, etc - not Select, Choice or Prime.
Yield grades are 1-4 - 1 is lean - 4 is fat. Prime 1 or 2 is rare, because the Prime is based on marbling and the YG is based on fat vs red meat.
So, like one of Nesi's heavy muscled meat wagons with .5" of fat might be a YG 1, but a light muscled animal like a holstein with .5" of fat might be a YG 3. Big exaggeration, but you can get the picture.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:32 pm

Processing plant here in Minnesota buys cows on grade and yield, they're currently paying 1.00 lb hanging for good
slaughter cows and 90 cents lb for the thin or boning quality cows

1,090 lb bcs 4 cow.... 515 lbs h.w. or 47.2% of live weight.... butcher said there ain't much meat on her bones
515 lbs x 90 cents = $463.50
Seems I probably would have been better off selling her, processing costs might make her expensive hamburger...
We'll see, but it sure wouldn't be the first time I did things wrong.

She calved twice and weaned both calves... so no, life time production vs expenses = below break even life time
I would've been better off selling her as a feeder heifer 3 years ago.
I could have penned her and fed her, but with her sore foot she probably would've gotten worse for little gain
and I didn't want to spend time and money treating her foot too.
Last edited by Son of Butch on Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:43 pm

"I would've been better off selling her as a feeder heifer 3 years ago.
Well I suppose, we'd all been better off selling lots of our stock 3 years ago.......Oct 2015 is when the slide began...
1 x

Covet Not!

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:55 pm

Son of Butch wrote:
Son of Butch wrote:
Son of Butch wrote:We butchered an open 1st calf cull cow last week and she stood 18 hours with no feed or water before weighing,
so no gut fill and about as hollow as could be.
2 yrs 5 mos old 1120 lbs live wt 650 lbs hanging wt = 58%
I plan to pick up the meat next week. I will weigh the total pounds packaged and post the results here.

Update: received 377 lbs of meat.
Instructed butcher to cut as he thought best and when in doubt grind it into hamburger. Yesterday I picked up.
264 lbs of hamburger, 50 lbs were processed as patties and 214 lbs in 1 lb plastic tubes.
113 lbs wrapped meat consisting of steaks (94 lbs) 4 roasts totaling 10 lbs and four packages of soup bones totaling 9 lbs
377 lbs take home from 650 lbs hanging
I did not include the liver, heart or tongue in the weights, the butcher wrapped them and cut the liver at no extra charge.
Butchering fees totaled $448.50 or 69 cents lb hanging weight or $1.19 lb of finished product.
Bottom line: My 1120 lb live weight cow = 377 lbs of take home meat.

Retail Yield on the above cow was 33.7% of live weight or 58% of her 650 lb hanging weight

Butchered another cull cow... 14 hr over night stand with no feed or water before weighing
Live Weight Empty: 1,090 lbs
Body Condition Score 4... a thin cow and limping on a sore rear foot (probable Hoof Abscess)
Slaughter Value $400 (39 cents lb live weight = $425 minus commission and selling fees = $400)
1st cow was BCS 6 so I do not expect this one will do nearly as well as her.
I'll update in about 10 days when I get the rest of the information and pick up the meat from our butcher.

UPDATED
with actual cost and results on the thin 1,090 lb cull cow 515 lb hanging weight (47.3%) 284 lbs Take Home (55.1%)
of the hanging weight and take home = 26.1% of live weight

$2.82 lb for 284 lbs take home consisting of 265 lbs hamburger over 90% lean and 19 lbs in roasts and steaks
Cow $400 + paid butcher $380 for processing = $780 + $20 in trucking to butcher = $800 div by 284 lbs = $2.82 lb
(and the liver was cut and wrapped as no charge courtesy of the butcher, we did not take the tongue or heart)
50/50 split on costs with $400 cow and $400 butcher/delivery

Showed my numbers to a good friend and manager of a wholesale beef processor, he told me they currently pay
$3.10 lb for 90% lean beef trimmings delivered and it costs them 5 cents lb to grind, process and package as 91% lean hamburger. = wholesale production cost of $3.15 lb for 91% lean hamburger.
3.15 - 2.82 = 33 cents
Local retail price for 91% lean hamburger ranges from 3.99 when on sale to 5.19 lb

Bottom Line: my cost per pound was 33 cents under wholesale. :) and will do it again when we need hamburger
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:45 pm

SOB - worked out in your favor. Neighbor ended up taking 50#, so I sold for $4.25
I, fortunately, have a guy marketing cull cows into VT. He pays me $1.30/HW. Just got a check for 2 culls for $1785. I'm happy with that with what the market is.
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:48 pm

By the way: It's 30 months of age when bone/cartilage closes and the spine of all cattle 30+ months is required to be
discarded for food safety because of potential mad cow disease.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:05 pm

Son of Butch wrote:By the way: It's 30 months of age when bone/cartilage closes and the spine of all cattle 30+ months is required to be
discarded for food safety because of potential mad cow disease.

Yes, that is why 24 months of age is better. 30 mo = 2.5 yrs
0 x

Return to “Coffee Shop”