Opinion?

Help Support CattleToday:

holm25":3edm0xmy said:
The bull she is going to be bred to is a SimAngus. He has a 75-80 pound nothing weight. She will be 3 years old when she first calves. And she is over 5ft tall at 2 so I think she's gonna be a big cow.
Ya think? :D
5 x 12 = 60 inches

That comment confuses me a little. Lol I am not the brightest bulb in the box!

VCC":2voyp3gf said:
The bull you pictured has an excess amount of skin from the brisket to his throat. A Simmental trait.
Most of your show calves are clean necked, sometimes to the extreme.
Are looking to breed show steers or heifers? If it is heifers you need to try and breed something you can paper, steers, it does not matter.

The Crossbred heifers that do well in shows tend to look like this one:
walks_alone.png

the hard part is trying to get the look and keep them real world at the same time.
Good posting VCC
A picture certainly is worth a 1,000 words.

Son of Butch":1auwg8gu said:
VCC":1auwg8gu said:
The bull you pictured has an excess amount of skin from the brisket to his throat. A Simmental trait.
Most of your show calves are clean necked, sometimes to the extreme.
Are looking to breed show steers or heifers? If it is heifers you need to try and breed something you can paper, steers, it does not matter.

The Crossbred heifers that do well in shows tend to look like this one:
walks_alone.png

the hard part is trying to get the look and keep them real world at the same time.
Good posting VCC
A picture certainly is worth a 1,000 words.

Very true!

Son of Butch":2nu0q1zs said:
holm25":2nu0q1zs said:
That comment confuses me a little. Lol I am not the brightest bulb in the box!

59" female at 30 months of age = frame score 9
at 60" we're talking top 1% with 1600+ lb mature weight

Ooh I see now. Thanks!

This heifer looks nothing like the one you pictured! And the bull is cleaning up nicely! We brushed him down and used a show comb to fluff him up a little bit.

Jus thought I would update this... The heifer had a huge 90+ pound heifer calf the beginning of April. We did have to do a little pulling but other than that the cow did great.

Here is a pic of her calf a few weeks ago.. I'll try get new pics tonight

I think you guys were right in saying she would produce a more commercial looking calf... I think we will keep this heifer back... We are more commercial anyways :D

She had her second calf the other day. Big bull calf unassisted.

OwnedByTheCow":2glt92ec said:
Pictures? What did you breed to?

We bred her back to a SimAngus again. She raised a really nice commercial heifer out of the bull last year so we bred her back to him. I can't upload pictures right now (CT problems) but the second I can I will!

Latest posts