Shooting Dogs

Help Support CattleToday:

another dog shooting story from Fl. This nut job really did it good, shot two hounds with GPS tracking collars hid the collars and gun in his house and said he had nothing to do with it. Sheriff got search warrant, man goes to jail and looking like he is going to get a felony. The world has changed.

BRYANT":275yvc32 said:
another dog shooting story from Fl. This nut job really did it good, shot two hounds with GPS tracking collars hid the collars and gun in his house and said he had nothing to do with it. Sheriff got search warrant, man goes to jail and looking like he is going to get a felony. The world has changed.

People are insane

True Grit Farms":315g6hll said:
https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/free-books/dog-book/chapter11-12.html
https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia ... er9-2.html
This pretty much sums up all you need to know if you want to kill dogs legally on your property. I put "shooting dogs in Florida" in a Google search and haven't found the story, could you pass a link on please. I'm always interested in this dog issue. We've had a few good trouble free years now so it's probably only a matter of time .
I am on several Squirrel hunting and Mountain Cur dog sites that is where I first got the info but I had a hard time verifying it seem no one wanted to say what state or county it was in and no one had a court docket number. I kept researching and found it by Googling ''man shoots 2 hunting dogs'' found it happened on Dec. 18. 2017 in Fl. the news story I read was on WFTV9 news page. It tells about what happened and the charges. I HAVE NOT SEEN the final trial release. Some of the squirrel hunting pages are reporting that they just had the trial and he received some felons out of it. Seems a little fast for it to be done in the courts ??? If you find any more info I would like to know about it also.

I post these dog stories because it seems to interest some on here. I have and will shoot a dog for bothering my stuff BUT it sure looks more and more like you had better have proof now days. Just a few weeks back I had 3 Llamas killed by dogs, they were well taken care of probably pure bred dogs ,not hunting dogs, They are not a problem anymore but I sure was concern, even though I was perfectly in the right to dispose of them, With all the tracking devices and chips and all the other stuff that is out there now I just thought way it is now days the right person could still sue me and even if I beat them in court , which I think I could have, it still can cost a bunch of money and be a big problem

been thru the dog shooting thing many times..sheriff watched me do the last one in front of the owner when it was chasing my calfs

I just saw a horrific picture on Facebook of a (formerly) beautiful heifer that was mauled by a neighbors Pitt. The owners primary concern was getting her heifer doctored and she should be okay with enough antibiotics & hopefully not end up blind, although will clearly have scars. Don't know the status on the Pitt, neighbors, etc but I believe she's filing a report with the Sheriff - I'm still following the story, she's providing updates periodically. IMO if that dog isn't euthanized it will be back. I've never shot a dog but if one attacked my cattle I wouldn't hesitate.

Dogs are a lot like teenagers. When they're by their self they don't usually cause much of a problem. Get three or four together..... look out.

BRYANT":1b47xrjf said:
I post these dog stories because it seems to interest some on here. I have and will shoot a dog for bothering my stuff BUT it sure looks more and more like you had better have proof now days. Just a few weeks back I had 3 Llamas killed by dogs, they were well taken care of probably pure bred dogs ,not hunting dogs, They are not a problem anymore but I sure was concern, even though I was perfectly in the right to dispose of them, With all the tracking devices and chips and all the other stuff that is out there now I just thought way it is now days the right person could still sue me and even if I beat them in court , which I think I could have, it still can cost a bunch of money and be a big problem

You know me and how I am about my hounds... The problems we have here are people move here from the city and don't realize dogs have roaming rights in my county and if a dog has a gps or tracking collar on him the animal control cant touch them. We have had several issues and home owners get the britches sued off of them and often do jail time and lose their jobs. Its a very fine line here and you better have all your ducks in a row you can still be sued and cost you a lot of money even if your right but the county will stand behind you in court if you are in the right. If you are wrong they will make your life miserable and you will wish you never seen a dog.

JMJ Farms":3m07lxk3 said:
Dogs are a lot like teenagers. When they're by their self they don't usually cause much of a problem. Get three or four together..... look out.

Yep..it becomes a big contest of some kind between them.

But I hear "Oh my dog would never do that" all the time. :bs:

My neighbours found a stray dog in their place , they have sheep and poultry free range. Anyhow they saw it before it did any damage and chased it out on the road, they then got in their car and followed it well back to see where it lived which was about 2 km away. They knocked on the door and informed the owner that it was harassing their sheep and if it returned it would be a dead dog. The owner swore black and blue it wasn't their dog, he had been in his yard the whole time, my neighbours said they had just followed it back to your place, that was an argument that was a bit hard to counter.

Ken

Now that there are electronic wireless and GPS containments, there is no reason anyone's dog should be loose..
I would have one in the city too, then your dog could dash out the front door and not disappear or dig under the fence...

cowgirl8":hqg6frw6 said:
Now that there are electronic wireless and GPS containments, there is no reason anyone's dog should be loose..
I would have one in the city too, then your dog could dash out the front door and not disappear or dig under the fence...
That would be responsible, a rare trait in today's world.

The Fish and Wildlife has these big wild dogs that they are fond of. I would think that the same rule applies to domestic dogs. It is referred to as SSS. If a tracking collar is involved then relocation to a spot several miles away is recommended.

Dave":aituqksf said:
The Fish and Wildlife has these big wild dogs that they are fond of. I would think that the same rule applies to domestic dogs. It is referred to as SSS. If a tracking collar is involved then relocation to a spot several miles away is recommended.
Trouble is they have every place that dog was before you SSS and after you relocated it on a controller and you are in worse shape than before for trying to cover it up. That kind of what this last person did in the story I posted.
Your best option now days is to ONLY shoot dogs that are bothering you stock and ALWAYS get documentation, cell phone video, pictures and get the sheriff involved immediately. Not wait till they arrive at you place then say they killed 5 calves and I hauled all the evidence a thousand miles away and sunk it in the ocean, if you know what I mean your probably fixing to get in a heap of trouble. And as soon as you get a felon your life will never be the same.
A lot of these stories I get with dogs being shot with tracking devices are hounds , and hounds are not as app to be a problem as just yard dogs. in all my years hunting hounds mine would NEVER bother livestock and if one would have it would have only did it once and you would not have had to shoot it because I would have did it myself.

cowgirl8":aituqksf said:
hunting dogs would still be loose

SSS, is the best option, but I'll take my chances using the courts. A land owner has so many rights that they give away because they don't know the law, and they speak without consulting an attorney. If you have cattle you can legally kill any dog you want on your own property. And besides the livestock protection act, I've never seen a dog that couldn't bite.
I've fought this issue before and will again if need be. The simple fact is, if people would just do what's right and keep their dogs where they belong there'd be no conflicts.

wbvs58":1rd045a0 said:
My neighbours found a stray dog in their place , they have sheep and poultry free range. Anyhow they saw it before it did any damage and chased it out on the road, they then got in their car and followed it well back to see where it lived which was about 2 km away. They knocked on the door and informed the owner that it was harassing their sheep and if it returned it would be a dead dog. The owner swore black and blue it wasn't their dog, he had been in his yard the whole time, my neighbours said they had just followed it back to your place, that was an argument that was a bit hard to counter.

Ken

Reminds me of a previous thread on this subject. (Sorry don't remember who said it.) Neighbor comes over mad that somebody shot his dog and asks the farmer if it was him? Farmer asks "Does your dog chase cattle?" Neighbor: "No! He never leaves our yard!" Farmer: "Well, then I didn't shoot YOUR dog."

True Grit that is another reason I post these stories , I think this makes 3 I have posted where people got a felony for shooting dogs I have others with close to same results or still in court. The more there is with this out come the more likely it is for the end results to be like these. One court sets a precedent for what the others rule. The shooting every dog for no reason can be a big problem now, and there is animal rights people that will fund the case and they got LOTS OF MONEY to fight them with.

True Grit Farms":2jaanb2z said:
SSS, is the best option, but I'll take my chances using the courts. A land owner has so many rights that they give away because they don't know the law, and they speak without consulting an attorney. If you have cattle you can legally kill any dog you want on your own property. And besides the livestock protection act, I've never seen a dog that couldn't bite.
I've fought this issue before and will again if need be. The simple fact is, if people would just do what's right and keep their dogs where they belong there'd be no conflicts.
Texas is pretty understanding about killing dogs that harass livestock, but even here, they HAVE to be causing or have recently caused a problem..not just be on the property. The letter and intent of the law is pretty clear on this. Just seeing a dog on my property is not cause to kill it.

§ 822.013. Dogs or Coyotes That Attack Animals
(a) A dog or coyote that is attacking, is about to attack, or has recently attacked livestock, domestic animals, or fowls may be killed by:

(1) any person witnessing the attack; or

(2) the attacked animal's owner or a person acting on behalf of the owner if the owner or person has knowledge of the attack.

(b) A person who kills a dog or coyote as provided by this section is not liable for damages to the owner, keeper, or person in control of the dog or coyote.

(c) A person who discovers on the person's property a dog or coyote known or suspected of having killed livestock, domestic animals, or fowls may detain or impound the dog or coyote and return it to its owner or deliver the dog or coyote to the local animal control authority. The owner of the dog or coyote is liable for all costs incurred in the capture and care of the dog or coyote and all damage done by the dog or coyote.

(d) The owner, keeper, or person in control of a dog or coyote that is known to have attacked livestock, domestic animals, or fowls shall control the dog or coyote in a manner approved by the local animal control authority.

(e) A person is not required to acquire a hunting license under Section 42.002, Parks and Wildlife Code, to kill a dog or coyote under this section.

BRYANT":8v467npr said:
True Grit that is another reason I post these stories , I think this makes 3 I have posted where people got a felony for shooting dogs I have others with close to same results or still in court. The more there is with this out come the more likely it is for the end results to be like these. One court sets a precedent for what the others rule. The shooting every dog for no reason can be a big problem now, and there is animal rights people that will fund the case and they got LOTS OF MONEY to fight them with.

Not just animal right groups... I will personally help fund it... as will other working dog owners who own land and livestock. If I remember correctly you did/ will too.

I will shoot the dog for you if it is causing a problem but not for just crossing or being on the property. Now I do think there should be some thing where if you document the dog being on your property more than X amount of times in a given time period you should be able to take recourse against the owner no matter if it is causing problems or not.

Latest posts