Hired help, hourly wage?

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard":1n1dppv3 said:
Nesikep":1n1dppv3 said:
msplmtneer":1n1dppv3 said:
I started in the hayfields when I was 12 got paid .75 cents a hour paid for my school clothes :tiphat:
Lucky you.. I started doing the same thing at the same age.. I didn't get paid though (well, there was food on the table).

Lucky you indeed. Brother and I were talking a few weeks ago..reminiscing about hauling hay for 3 cents/bale in the mid '60s..we wuz in high cotton..all the baled up skunks, thorns, snakes and dusty low overhead haylofts we could stand.

Peanut hay. A bale of sticks and sand. The edges will eat you up. The bales are extremely heavy Cows will fight to get to it. Once they smell the hay, they'll jump coral fences or get hung up in them trying to get over. Just leave the gate at the road open; the cows are coming after you and trying to drag bales off.

When we hired out hauling grass hay, it was like taking a break.

greybeard":jw142xqz said:
Brother and I were talking a few weeks ago..reminiscing about hauling hay for 3 cents/bale in the mid '60s..
we wuz in high cotton..all the baled up skunks, thorns, snakes and dusty low overhead haylofts we could stand.
You really were in high cotton!
3 cents a bale in '60s = nearly 25 cents a bale today
100 bales = $25
200 bales per hour and you were making $25 hr EACH

Son of Butch":tdib6dt3 said:
greybeard":tdib6dt3 said:
Brother and I were talking a few weeks ago..reminiscing about hauling hay for 3 cents/bale in the mid '60s..
we wuz in high cotton..all the baled up skunks, thorns, snakes and dusty low overhead haylofts we could stand.
You really were in high cotton!
3 cents a bale in '60s = nearly 25 cents a bale today
100 bales = $25
200 bales per hour and you were making $25 hr EACH

We worked in teams. There was a split. The truck got the biggest cut. When they started paying 12 cents a bale, I was making $30 to $40 a day and it was tax free money too.

When I said I started in hayfields at 12 I was already doing hay work for uncles, grandfather and our own place. I meant I hired out to other people helping put up their hay, build fence and work their cattle.
I also sold a weekly newspaper and received 5 cents a copy, by the time I was 14 I had my own checking account.

msplmtneer":yc5w69bv said:
When I said I started in hayfields at 12 I was already doing hay work for uncles, grandfather and our own place. I meant I hired out to other people helping put up their hay, build fence and work their cattle.
I also sold a weekly newspaper and received 5 cents a copy, by the time I was 14 I had my own checking account.
By the time I was 14 I had already written a hot check. My check writing abilities exceeded my math abilities. :lol: :lol: The bank did pay it and charged me $2.00 service charge. :???:

Brute 23":1qh23d6b said:
The bad part about hiring help is not the $10 or $12 an hour... it's hoping they don't break some thing expensive.

hah.. pretty much.. i always use the equipment, and work with them near 100% of the time.

I had a farm worker for a couple years @ 10.00 / hr.. he was very good at helping me and did a great job. had a lot of good ideas as well.

I drove a tractor all summer as soon as I was big enough ( about 10) for my dad mostly cutting and raking hay. Didn't get paid 1 dime but at the end of the summer just before school started, he told me how good of a help id been and took me to the gun store and bought me a Ruger 10-22. At the time, it was better than all the money in the world. My dad was proud of me and I had my own gun. To a 10 year old ranch kid, it doesn't get much better!!

TexasBred":yk2whh15 said:
ez14.":yk2whh15 said:
i started at 14 for $8.20 i now make $9.00 but there is not very many kids willing to do the work i do for the pay i get

M-5":yk2whh15 said:
You can get min wage to about 9bucks here at the swimming hole as a life guard or concession stand and watch bikini clad teenagers all day. I pay 10 /hr to pick up limbs or rake hay
where do i sign up to be a lifeguard? is there going to be a swimming test? im not real good at swimming so that could be a problem! :lol:
You're spoiled son. Do your "near drowning" thing close to one of the girls in the bikini...she'll take it from there. :lol: :lol: I started at 14 for $1 an hour. Only good thing was we worked 55 hrs. a week so I got a lot of overtime. End of summer I could buy all my school clothes etc and when college started I could pay for the 1st semester of college which was only a bit over $400 per semester, room and board included. Guess those were the "good ol' days". :nod:
Yes, but Grant was President.

john250":31l2lkw3 said:
TexasBred":31l2lkw3 said:
ez14.":31l2lkw3 said:
i started at 14 for $8.20 i now make $9.00 but there is not very many kids willing to do the work i do for the pay i get

where do i sign up to be a lifeguard? is there going to be a swimming test? im not real good at swimming so that could be a problem! :lol:
You're spoiled son. Do your "near drowning" thing close to one of the girls in the bikini...she'll take it from there. :lol: :lol: I started at 14 for $1 an hour. Only good thing was we worked 55 hrs. a week so I got a lot of overtime. End of summer I could buy all my school clothes etc and when college started I could pay for the 1st semester of college which was only a bit over $400 per semester, room and board included. Guess those were the "good ol' days". :nod:
Yes, but Grant was President.
You just had to tell of on me. They had no idea. :lol: :lol:

Stat published in Hoard's Dairyman this month...

Serious injury/death of employees under the age 16 is 33 times higher in agriculture than all other industries combined.

number 1 cause: Machinery

Son of Butch":bk7w4jwn said:
Stat published in Hoard's Dairyman this month...

Serious injury/death of employees under the age 16 is 33 times higher in agriculture than all other industries combined.

number 1 cause: Machinery
agriculture is the only job you can have under 16 in Michigan! doesn't make much sense to me but their the state they know all things we should just listen to them :nod:

you got to be carefull on a farm no matter how old you are

National News Story Today, the outrageously high price of babysitters, $10-$20 hour
(Not licensed child care, babysitting only)

Highest in nation
San Francisco $15-$20 hr average $17.50 hour
Dinner and movie = 17.50 x 4 = $70 for a baby sitter just to get a 4 hour break from the kids.

Lowest
Phoenix 10-12.50 hr average $11.80

Twin Cities 12-15 hr average $14.25

I'm sure prices paid are lower in rural areas as survey was only conducted in major cities.
But teenagers can make a sizeable chunk of change baby sitting just a couple times a week in their neighborhoods.
Having Grandparents nearby is so much cheaper. :)

I guess this shows the difference beteeen the big operations and the small fries like me. I don't have a hired hand. I probably couldn't find someone to work for what I could afford, which might be $1.00 a day.

Son of Butch":1nfvle2b said:
National News Story Today, the outrageously high price of babysitters, $10-$20 hour
(Not licensed child care, babysitting only)

Highest in nation
San Francisco $15-$20 hr average $17.50 hour
Dinner and movie = 17.50 x 4 = $70 for a baby sitter just to get a 4 hour break from the kids.

Lowest
Phoenix 10-12.50 hr average $11.80

Twin Cities 12-15 hr average $14.25

I'm sure prices paid are lower in rural areas as survey was only conducted in major cities.
But teenagers can make a sizeable chunk of change baby sitting just a couple times a week in their neighborhoods.
Having Grandparents nearby is so much cheaper. :)

Not sure about other areas but every thing is higher in our rural areas... not lower. There is greater demand per skilled persons. Plus, we may have to factor in travel vs a neighbor girl walking from across the street.

My baby sitter gets around $10-15/ hr if you average it out. Its actually a day rate but if I get off early that day or work from home she still gets paid her daily rate.

My cleaning lady is $25 an hour, 4 hr minimum to come out.

My dad is booked solid with people who have zero problems paying in excess of $35/ hr for lawn work.

I figure my cleaning lady costs me about $35k/year, but I've had her for 23 years now and it would cost me a heck of a lot more (1/2 of everything) to let her go.....

I have a few guys that are good help, and have worked full time for me at some point. When I'm desperate, they come to the rescue for $30-40/hr. All of them are well worth it. I gave up on $12/hr help years ago.

That $12/hr help can get expensive and most of them can only work with one hand because the other hand is too busy working the phone.

Jogeephus":1v8wlmrj said:
That $12/hr help can get expensive and most of them can only work with one hand because the other hand is too busy working the phone.
Ain't that the truth!! My own wife is as bad as any of them too.

Latest posts