Hired help, hourly wage?

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
ddd75
GURU
GURU

Re: Hired help, hourly wage?

Postby ddd75 » Fri May 18, 2018 6:33 am

brute, you must be making more off those cattle then you let on.. cleaning ladies, babysitters, lawn care..

I gotta do all that myself.
1 x

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Fri May 18, 2018 7:15 am

ddd75 wrote:brute, you must be making more off those cattle then you let on.. cleaning ladies, babysitters, lawn care..

LOL....you need to find a better paycheck job.....or some mailbox money. ;)
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

OwnedByTheCow
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby OwnedByTheCow » Fri May 18, 2018 10:51 am

I just joined in on this conversation but this is my tidbit.
I would probably say $5 an hour until he is able do the work himself and do it well. Then I would increase it to $10 if you think his work is worth $10. He's not there to make a living and he's also the one asking you for a job. If it were the other way around it may be different.
If he can do his work well enough to make your life easier and give you less things to do then $10 seems fair. That's what you get around here for horse barns.
0 x
Be decisive, wether right or wrong.
The road of life is paved with many flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision.

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Fri May 18, 2018 11:05 am

I heard China was having unemployment problems... 10% unemployment among 9 year olds.
0 x

rowdyred
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby rowdyred » Fri May 18, 2018 1:35 pm

Started working at a feed mill/cotton gin when I was 10, loading 50lb sacks of feed and fertilizer to customers (dad was the owner). made $10 a week plus breakfast and lunch. At 11, got $20 a week. Today, I mow yards as a side job, if I'm tired, I'll pay $20 an hour for weed-eating, usually don't last over 1 to 1 and half hours. Well worth it!!!!!
0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Fri May 18, 2018 8:23 pm

1982vett wrote:
ddd75 wrote:brute, you must be making more off those cattle then you let on.. cleaning ladies, babysitters, lawn care..

There are times when it feels like it goes in one end and out the other.

A cleaning lady is the best money you will ever spend IMO. There is nothing like coming home from from being gone to fresh sheets, clean floores, no dirty dishes, ect.

Its all about priorities. A lot of people smoke, drink, eat, party, their $$$ away. You have to remember I also don't have cable or satellite tv and live in a house that is less than half my annual income.

If it comes to going to a bar or satellite tv vs my cleaning lady... she will win hands down every time.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

herofan
GURU
GURU

Postby herofan » Fri May 18, 2018 8:42 pm

Brute 23 wrote:
1982vett wrote:

A cleaning lady is the best money you will ever spend IMO. There is nothing like coming home from from being gone to fresh sheets, clean floores, no dirty dishes, ect.

Its all about priorities. A lot of people smoke, drink, eat, party, their $$$ away. You have to remember I also don't have cable or satellite tv and live in a house that is less than half my annual income.

If it comes to going to a bar or satellite tv vs my cleaning lady... she will win hands down every time.

Very well put; it’s all about what is important to you. I had city water ran to my farm last year. Due to the terrain and distance, it cost a pretty penny. I had some people look at me like I was giving up an arm. If I had told them I spent that much on a new boat, vacation, or some other luxury, I’m sure they would have given me their look of approval. Personally, I feel like water is pretty important, and I haven’t for one minute regretted having it put in.

Some of these stories about people working in their youth reminds me of the old story of how our grandparents walked to school in a foot of snow and it was uphill both ways.
0 x

Ryder
GURU
GURU

Postby Ryder » Fri May 18, 2018 9:47 pm

Hero I don't know how old you are but all of those stories about people working in their youth are not tall tales.
Been there. Done that.
1 x
Ryder

Deo Vindice

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Sat May 19, 2018 12:05 am

herofan wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:
1982vett wrote:LOL....you need to find a better paycheck job.....or some mailbox money. ;)

Very well put; it’s all about what is important to you. I had city water ran to my farm last year. Due to the terrain and distance, it cost a pretty penny. I had some people look at me like I was giving up an arm. If I had told them I spent that much on a new boat, vacation, or some other luxury, I’m sure they would have given me their look of approval. Personally, I feel like water is pretty important, and I haven’t for one minute regretted having it put in.

Some of these stories about people working in their youth reminds me of the old story of how our grandparents walked to school in a foot of snow and it was uphill both ways.

Yup, very true.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sat May 19, 2018 4:58 am

Ryder wrote:Hero I don't know how old you are but all of those stories about people working in their youth are not tall tales.
Been there. Done that.

You can usually tell the one's that had to hump it for a living.
1 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sat May 19, 2018 6:44 am

"You can usually tell the one's that had to hump it for a living."
Yep.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Sat May 19, 2018 6:53 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
Ryder wrote:Hero I don't know how old you are but all of those stories about people working in their youth are not tall tales.
Been there. Done that.

You can usually tell the one's that had to hump it for a living.

maybe thats why i get offered jobs all the time by people in stores.

"Hey, you look like you work"

thats the comment i get all the time.. then they want to hire me for some job. works out
0 x

herofan
GURU
GURU

Postby herofan » Sat May 19, 2018 7:26 am

Been there. Done that.

I know. I don't doubt them, I'm always just a little amused at how quickly people like to share such stories.
I heard some stand-up from Jay Leno once; he said that his parents were always quick to let him know how rough it used to be, even if you were at the table and said, "Could you pass the salt," his dad would go into a speech about how "we didn't have salt when I was a kid............."

I'm 50, and I've always enjoyed hearing such stories. I also remember the days when work meant actual physical labor instead of riding in a truck or tractor all day. When I was a kid helping my grandfather, he didn't have a corn or hay elevator, but he did have a corn scoop and some strong backs. When we put a fence around a field, we did it with hand diggers, and when we needed a load of gravel hauled to fix our roads, we had a pick-up bed and a shovel.

I've caught myself a few times saying, "When I was growing up, we............." Then I see the uninterested faces and remind myself that I'm sounding like my grandparents used to sound, and I wrap the story up rather quickly.
0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Sat May 19, 2018 8:42 am

I worked on our family rig as young as 12 years old (no hyd tongues)... mowed my first neighbors lawn at 8 for money... we didn't get round bales, a cab tractor, or post hole auger until I was in my teens. My dad was very clear he wanted us to experience that early on so we would not have any romantic notions about it. We all experienced directly and indirectly the toll that life style takes on a person and their family. My dad did not want that for us and made it blatantly clear.

I think people who have experienced true hard work don't romanticize it. Its the people who who kind of ran down the edge that like to hype it up. You see the same thing with war. The guys that really experienced it in the trenches rarely have much to say about it. Those that kind of dipped their toes in tend to tell all the "war stories".

Thats just my .02
2 x

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Sat May 19, 2018 9:19 am

The rancher I have been helping this winter has a grandson and another young man (both 17) that he can hire. The thing is that paying by the hour just doesn't work. The two of them can work. But they also spend a lot of time playing grab azz with each other. So he pays them by the job. So much to do the job and done right. If it takes them two days they make real good money. If they screw around or don't do it right the first time, well they still make the same money. It will just work out to a lot less per hour.
0 x

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”