What to look for when buying Brahman

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

smoothmule
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: What to look for when buying Brahman

Postby smoothmule » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:57 am

1 x

Mossy Dell
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Mossy Dell » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:43 pm

Has anyone any experience will Kallion Farms Brahma. Claim high marbling, tender meat, calm temperament, working on polled:

http://kallionfarms.com/
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:25 pm

Mossy Dell wrote:Has anyone any experience will Kallion Farms Brahma. Claim high marbling, tender meat, calm temperament, working on polled:

All that..and able to keep them pure Brahman.. bet they come black too :cowboy:
0 x
that awkward moment,when the zombies are searching for brains.and pass you by..

Mossy Dell
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Mossy Dell » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:19 pm

Mossy Dell wrote:Has anyone any experience will Kallion Farms Brahma. Claim high marbling, tender meat, calm temperament, working on polled:

I went back to his site. I checked the EPDs on two or three of his featured bulls with the Brahman assn. They are good looking (for Brahmans) but below average for docility and marbling. Since that's what he's advertising, I'd be cautious.

Any time there is variation, there can be selection. But the fact those EPDs exist indicates others are working on those issues too. Does anyone know if Hudgins has made much progress there? Certainly Hudgins' size indicates you might find a subset that interests you from their herd.
0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:32 pm

I like them. They look like actual working cattle. Some of the big Brahman breeders have gone over board with the show cattle stuff. Their bulls are obese when you go look at them. They also produce such a high volume that I don't think they cull as hard as they should.

Epds are nice but when it comes to docility I would check that in person no matter what. On marbling, that another one that is kind of iffy.

Nothing wrong with Hudgens or V8 or the other variation I just wouldn't write those people off because of the issues listed.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

Mossy Dell
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Mossy Dell » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:01 am

Brute 23 wrote:I like them. They look like actual working cattle. Some of the big Brahman breeders have gone over board with the show cattle stuff. Their bulls are obese when you go look at them. They also produce such a high volume that I don't think they cull as hard as they should.

Epds are nice but when it comes to docility I would check that in person no matter what. On marbling, that another one that is kind of iffy.

Nothing wrong with Hudgens or V8 or the other variation I just wouldn't write those people off because of the issues listed.

Good points. Kallion's do look like show cattle. But it is difficult for me to evaluate Brahmans because they have so much frame anyway and are inherently showy with those ears and all that leather.

Not attacking those who show cattle, but I run the other way from show stock. And when I see show pictures on a web site, I tend to cross off that breeder. Just my experience.
1 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:00 pm

Lot of the good breeders show their cattle..its part of the game..
0 x
that awkward moment,when the zombies are searching for brains.and pass you by..

Return to “Breeds Board”