Feed Out Steers Profitable

Help Support CattleToday:

BK9954

Reaction score
Okay, didnt quite get answer long time ago and answers vary on google, I am getting 1 ton of brewers grain, 28% protien at $60 a ton. Can I feed out steers bought from the auction, along with 13% rye hay, $20 for 4×5.5 round bales. Cant quite figure the calculation. The data says to feed anywhere from 10-20 pounds of brewers grain a fay mixed with hay for 2-3 pounds a day gain.

BK9954":6s6e96p0 said:
Okay, didnt quite get answer long time ago and answers vary on google, I am getting 1 ton of brewers grain, 28% protien at $60 a ton. Can I feed out steers bought from the auction, along with 13% rye hay, $20 for 4×5.5 round bales. Cant quite figure the calculation. The data says to feed anywhere from 10-20 pounds of brewers grain a fay mixed with hay for 2-3 pounds a day gain.

I think you can just have to pay attention to your imputs and such... I feed mine free choice brewers grain

BK9954":2b0dpju3 said:
Think about it backwards. How much money do you want to make? What risks are you willing to take? That will answer your question.

Well I am weighing my options on what to do with all the grain. If I cant feed out and cash in on animals, I may just mark it up and sell it on craigslist like the other guys. They are selling 55 gal. for $40. And that guy is selling 20-30 a week. I can beat that price and sell at $30. I dont have many animals on my place need to feed that much right now.

i would think you'd make quite a profit with those feed costs.

BK9954":qou5jxsn said:
Well I am weighing my options on what to do with all the grain. If I cant feed out and cash in on animals, I may just mark it up and sell it on craigslist like the other guys. They are selling 55 gal. for $40. And that guy is selling 20-30 a week. I can beat that price and sell at $30. I dont have many animals on my place need to feed that much right now.
It would take 2 steers to make as much profit as selling 1 barrel weekly. :2cents:

BK9954":w8jawky9 said:

Dag I wish I were closer I could rack up since im getting all my tons of grain... Free.. .Yea I may just be a grain dealer there as was said :lol:

RanchMan90":1d5ysmu9 said:
BK9954":1d5ysmu9 said:
It would take 2 steers to make as much profit as selling 1 barrel weekly. :2cents:
Selling it may be the option. This company just got a deal with Specs Liquor and another large retailer. They are about to go into full swing. So I may be up to my ears in grain. The stuff I cant feed now I have been drying in the sun for longer storage. It doesnt come soaking wet like the beer grain. This stuff is just damp, has some corn thats almost whole.

You can fill up a barrel with a lid on it and make sileage. I've done that and fed it 6 mo Later. Cows loved it.

quartermeter":2vjxuuv0 said:
You can fill up a barrel with a lid on it and make sileage. I've done that and fed it 6 mo Later. Cows loved it.
I am having them put it in 55 gal blue food grade barrels with lids. It gets white mold on the top layer. You can keep it for that long without the whole thing turning? We are also going through some 100 degree days. But heck the buckets cost $30 so they are worth more then the feed. Thats been the biggest investment in getting this stuff. I drop off buckets when I pick up the full ones.

Latest posts