Best New Tractor 45-60 HP

Help Support CattleToday:

Jabes0623

Reaction score
Due to an unforeseen matter I'm going to be needing to buy a new midsize tractor in the next few months.

The tractors primary use will be to mow a large, kind of rough, yard pulling an 84" finish mower. It will also be used for brushogging & snow removal.

I know the recommendation is always to buy based on your local dealers. I have two dealers within 20 mins of me one deals in Massey Ferguson & New Holland but seems to stock just about everything for every make of tractor based on the conversations I hear in there. The other is a Kubota dealer.

Cost really isn't a factor in this purchase. Basically I'm looking at this as the last tractor of this type I'll ever be purchasing & I want to ensure it's of the highest quality & do what I need it to do.

Thanks.

A used tractor, non tier 4 with low hours and taken care of would be your best. I would look for a John Deere, Kubota in that HP range in a model 2012 or before.

Yeah it's the "taken care of" part that's my concern. I've gone the used tractor route a few times with mixed results. This one I'd like some peace of mind to come with my purchase.

I don't need 4x4 or a FEL. Just a solid reliable tractor to do, for a tractor, light work.

Of the three I would choose Kubota, provided that the dealer is decent to deal with.

John Deere in Newberry, IN has about a hundred low hour lease tractors that size dirt cheap. They do have the emissions BS to deal with, but cheap.

jltrent":3pn0ux04 said:
A used tractor, non tier 4 with low hours and taken care of would be your best. I would look for a John Deere, Kubota in that HP range in a model 2012 or before.
Agree...

That said... Yanmar might be an option. They build a lot of the smaller tractors...

YT359_ROPS_NAKED_34_Flat_CMYK_3.jpg

https://www.yanmartractor.com/tractors/yt3-series

Got a Branson dealer handy? Might check them out. Solid machines, priced right. I have 2. One of the things that sold me on my 6530C back in 2007 was that it had a deluxe, air compressor operated air seat, high back, HD cloth upholstery, armrests, tilting back, adjustable fore and aft, and Lumbar squeeze bulb. Just doesn't get more comfortable that this.

To go with that it has a tilting but also telescoping steering wheel standard. Controls are within easy reach, ingress and egress very easy with flat floor, 24 speed shuttle F and R and on and on. Hydrostat steering, wet brakes and 4wd are standard as is the case with a lot of mfgrs these days. They don't make any that aren't....that I know of. Comes from Kukje in Korea with Cummins (licensed) engines.

Kubota hands down in that size, Deere or Massey next. Oh and you do need MFWD and a loader trust me! Power shuttle not HST! Yanmars are great but dealers for them come and go.

SmokinM":25s5utqr said:
Kubota hands down in that size, Deere or Massey next. Oh and you do need MFWD and a loader trust me! Power shuttle not HST! Yanmars are great but dealers for them come and go.

I have a MF2680HD with MFWD & a loader.

This tractor is for mowing & pushing snow, nothing more.

Resale makes it worth it. I would think the loader would be pretty handy in the snow and I am amazed at how often I use the loader I didn't need. How do you like the Massey? FIL bought one last spring, I haven't run it much but seems like a nice tractor. Hard to beat kubota in that size but it seems it could be close.

SmokinM":4hxy4ygu said:
Resale makes it worth it. I would think the loader would be pretty handy in the snow and I am amazed at how often I use the loader I didn't need. How do you like the Massey? FIL bought one last spring, I haven't run it much but seems like a nice tractor. Hard to beat kubota in that size but it seems it could be close.

The Massey does everything I need it to do, has about 1500 hours on it & still going strong. Have had some minor electrical issues but overall I'm happy with it. I mostly use it to bale hay as that's all we do around the farm anymore.

As far as the FEL it would certainly be handy but I try to weigh out the cost vs. return aspect of every purchase I make & around here we may go 4-5 years without a major snow storm & that's a lot of extra money for something that may only get used 8-10 times in 20 years.

Kubota seems to be the clear favorite here. It looks like the MX series will be the one I would be buying from. I think the 4800 would do everything I need but the 5200 doesn't seem to be much more & the 5 extra HP may come in handy one of these days. Anyone here have experience with either?

Jabes0623":2hs9siwv said:
SmokinM":2hs9siwv said:

The Massey does everything I need it to do, has about 1500 hours on it & still going strong. Have had some minor electrical issues but overall I'm happy with it. I mostly use it to bale hay as that's all we do around the farm anymore.

As far as the FEL it would certainly be handy but I try to weigh out the cost vs. return aspect of every purchase I make & around here we may go 4-5 years without a major snow storm & that's a lot of extra money for something that may only get used 8-10 times in 20 years.

Kubota seems to be the clear favorite here. It looks like the MX series will be the one I would be buying from. I think the 4800 would do everything I need but the 5200 doesn't seem to be much more & the 5 extra HP may come in handy one of these days. Anyone here have experience with either?
Probably not much more money if any I would look at the "M" series, possibly a Kubota 2wd M6040, M7040, M4900, M5700 or M6800

Latest posts