Storing DDG's

Help Support CattleToday:

ddd75

Reaction score
Whats the cheapest way to store these?

I must buy in bulk (22 ton roughly) to get it from the plant.

I'm thinking a 40' shipping container? weld a hatch on top.

or feed bins?

Use a auger to auger it in as I think they will just come dump it?

Anyone have any input on this? Thanks.

ddd75":a248wlod said:
Whats the cheapest way to store these?

I must buy in bulk (22 ton roughly) to get it from the plant.

I'm thinking a 40' shipping container? weld a hatch on top.

or feed bins?

Use a auger to auger it in as I think they will just come dump it?

Anyone have any input on this? Thanks.

The only thought I have, is--------Does the savings of buying it 22 tons at a time, justify the storage/equioment to handle it? I cant remember off the top of head for some reason, but I have it delivered here 6 tons at a time for either $140 or $160. Couple gravity wagons takes care of it, and I can move it around with ease.

Have seen it is:
in open front commodity shed
in overhead bin
in hay shed
in gravity boxes

Trade offs seem to be waste & labor vs. investment.

main goal is to be able to feed it out pretty quickly and run the number of head required to do so. I'd like to buy a few groups a year to feed out.

Buying it in that quantity cuts the cost in half.

jedstivers":2gr6lou3 said:
Mine comes in on a live floor trailer. I dump it on the ground under a shed. I do make a wall of hay bales at one end.
Pretty much how most around here do it as well.

jedstivers":btrk1sfn said:
Mine comes in on a live floor trailer. I dump it on the ground under a shed. I do make a wall of hay bales at one end.

How much would you estimate for shrinkage losses with this storage system?

Stocker Steve":10h34iji said:
jedstivers":10h34iji said:

How much would you estimate for shrinkage losses with this storage system?
I'd say almost none. The stuff is dry as can be so no moisture loss. Might even gain moisture and we get all of it up off the ground. I was putting tarps on the ground but this summer I covered the floor in packed lime. It's almost like concrete.

So you just have them dump it in front of the shed, then push it in with a loader?

what size trailer are bringing it? 38' ? or full size?

thanks

ddd75":1gxdm51g said:
So you just have them dump it in front of the shed, then push it in with a loader?

thanks
No. The trailer backs into the shed and unloads.
They are prol 53' trailers.
When I ever build a real comitity shed it will have a concret floor and a apron out front so I can take any kind of trailer. Either back in with a live floor or end dump or dump a hopper bottom on the apron and push it in.
Will also be big enough I can mix a weeks worth and unload it inside. Load as I need it all week.

Awesome info.

What size shed do you think would be necessary?

jedstivers":f7krwhe1 said:
ddd75":f7krwhe1 said:

thanks
No. The trailer backs into the shed and unloads.
They are prol 53' trailers.
When I ever build a real comitity shed it will have a concret floor and a apron out front so I can take any kind of trailer. Either back in with a live floor or end dump or dump a hopper bottom on the apron and push it in.
Will also be big enough I can mix a weeks worth and unload it inside. Load as I need it all week.
Agree....and accept a hopper bottom as a last resort.

Question for those of you in humid areas.... do you have issues with mold over time with DDG's stored on the ground in a shed? Already have a barn with concrete floor, figured up blocks for a bin would take me less than $1k to set up. I am a little worried about going through 20-25 tons quick enough to not end up with spoilage.

Latest posts