Deer season

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
Well deer season came and went. I didn't get my deer but I really didn't need the meat so I was mostly hunting because I enjoy hunting. I hiked my tail off, saw a lot of deer, and bucks every day. I did see one buck three times that I sure would have shot the first time I saw him. It was a good thing he was on the neighbor's property the first time I saw him. Walking straight away he was flat huge. But this is a 3 point or better area and when he turned broadside he was the biggest 2 point I have ever seen. I guess I could go out to the ranch and hike around any day I want to just looking for deer. But it is just not the same as doing it during season even if I don't shoot one.

Youth season opens this weekend here in MO. My kids are both pretty excited and I can't wait! We've seen some good bucks that would make a kid grin ear to ear but nothing great. Boy will be picky for the first morning or so and I'd guess my little girl will be hammer down.

Seasons in here. Haven't felt like going because its been to hot and sitting in a tree swatting mosquitoes isn't my idea of fun.

Jogeephus":1bm5n7tc said:
Seasons in here. Haven't felt like going because its been to hot and sitting in a tree swatting mosquitoes isn't my idea of fun.
You better get hunting we've been seeing a lot of good bucks with does. I've let two big 8pt's go that needed killing, I'm trying to hold out for a big 10pt with split G2's. This has been our best season in 25 years.

Good looking buck on the truck. You guys have a lot better quality bucks than we do. Our problem is mostly age. Between the farmers shooting deer during the summer and people shooting "trophy spikes" our age structure is only around 1.5 years. I don't get the fixation some have with shooting poor quality bucks.

True Grit Farms":22m7427g said:
Jogeephus":22m7427g said:
You better get hunting we've been seeing a lot of good bucks with does. I've let two big 8pt's go that needed killing, I'm trying to hold out for a big 10pt with split G2's. This has been our best season in 25 years.

Took your advice and went this afternoon and got this buck. He was in full rut which surprised me.

19598734_1784306271867264_166006581978942563_n.jpg

Nice bucks grit and jo!!! Can't wait to get out there in a few weeks!

Side note: I noticed neither of you field dressed them..you do that back at the house?

Jogeephus":qjbq5v5w said:
True Grit Farms":qjbq5v5w said:
Jogeephus":qjbq5v5w said:

Took your advice and went this afternoon and got this buck. He was in full rut which surprised me.

19598734_1784306271867264_166006581978942563_n.jpg

Good deal, I'm sure you have plans for some exotic meals.

bball":3ndss5v4 said:

Side note: I noticed neither of you field dressed them..you do that back at the house?

Yes we clean, gut and hang at the barn. I have a meat room and Joe has a full blown processing plant.

True Grit Farms":2rdf82yk said:
bball":2rdf82yk said:

Yes we clean, gut and hang at the barn. I have a meat room and Joe has a full blown processing plant.

I find it to be a real wrestling match to get one loaded on the quad that has been gutted. I don't think I could get a mature buck loaded guts, feathers, and all on the quad without help. I am pretty certain I couldn't have loaded that big two point by myself. But these northern Mule deer are a lot bigger than your whitetails.

Dave":1bl1bmdh said:
I find it to be a real wrestling match to get one loaded on the quad that has been gutted. I don't think I could get a mature buck loaded guts, feathers, and all on the quad without help. I am pretty certain I couldn't have loaded that big two point by myself. But these northern Mule deer are a lot bigger than your whitetails.

I sure wouldn't have turned down some help getting mine loaded. That dead limp weight is a chore and makes me feel my age.

Jogeephus":2i2rspxk said:
Dave":2i2rspxk said:

I sure wouldn't have turned down some help getting mine loaded. That dead limp weight is a chore and makes me feel my age.

Last year I shot a medium size 3x4 buck. Walking up to get my quad I ran into the wife's uncle. He is 89. He offered to come help me load the deer up. I turned him down. Told him to stay where he was and I would see if I could run a deer by him. I wish I had taken him up on his offer. Just holding a leg or something while I wrestled the other end would have been good.

True Grit Farms":ziisxptn said:
bball":ziisxptn said:

Those are nice bucks grit. I found it odd them not being gutted. We generally get out and dress the deer immediately right where it falls. Often climb back in and keep hunting. But I like to gut asap.

No pics but my my son shot a spike and my daughter shot a doe. Daughter was with my Dad, her Pop, and he was like a kid he was so excited for her. It was great!

Brute 23":2jfg2y7u said:
The bucks started rutting last week here. From the beginning of the week to the end I watched the bucks necks swell and them start chasing does on the cameras.

There chasing here started in the last couple days.
Activity was good this week my grandkid and the three neighbors grandkids all got one on youth weekend.

Latest posts