Calving, 2018

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Re: Calving, 2018

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:25 pm

You are more used to looking at them. And, I'm sure you admire the muscling. Not to me.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

lithuanian farmer
GURU
GURU

Postby lithuanian farmer » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:15 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:You are more used to looking at them. And, I'm sure you admire the muscling. Not to me.

Only in photos. Haven't seen a purebred in the real life... I like when it's proportional and the animal is able to move and breed well without any concern. Have only few which could be considered as more extreme muscled animals. Trying to breed something, which would calve well, but also would be able to produce some top priced commercial calves here.
I have chosen these cows for this bull, which are taller and longer, so the bull can add some muscles and it should make quite a nice calf.
Your cattle are what I would consider top quality even if they aren't extremely muscled, but still they a very nice. I want that our animals would earn us top prices as it's already getting harder to make a profit with lower quality. Have felt that a lot this year with a slight drop in quality and selling them at smaller size.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:39 pm

You started with dairy cattle and have come a long way producing really nice muscled cattle. You shipped some "finished" bulls that would make any breeder proud to sell as breeding bulls.
Yes, the market here is also poor. Even though I raise PB cattle, the feeder/carcass price affects everything. Half my calf crop is basically sold as feeders and low price for feeders brings down the price of the bottom end of my heifers.
1 x

lithuanian farmer
GURU
GURU

Postby lithuanian farmer » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:08 pm

Thanks.
Yeah, it looks that everybody had it rough for the past couple years. The feed price is growing here alot, while the cattle price is the same...
Have to admit that we had some bulls during the years, which I would have loved to use as a herd bull, or if we could find such looking bull. Even this year have a young bull calf, which looks just great and it'll be very hard to sell him as a weanling...
We bringing in some fresh blood with AI to improve the herd abit. Now it's a very high % Limo, so want to bring other breeds in, that later could use Limo bull and get more heterosis. So basically I want as many heifers as possible from AI, especially bbx. There will be just these two and one more calving with bb calf. We like our bbx cows alot, as their and their daughters calves always are in the top of the herd.
0 x

lithuanian farmer
GURU
GURU

Postby lithuanian farmer » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:49 am

Probably the last calf before the AI group. Heifer out of the "2nd calver". The cow has aborted her first calf last year. This year it's alive calf. To be fair, not sure where her udder came from. Her dam has a pretty small one. Her granddam and greatgranddam increased in milk during years and have developed big udders at around 9-10years of age, but still abit smaller and prettier looking.
Image Last year just after abortion.
Image Her dam after calving.

Have her full sister calving with her first calf in November. Hopefully, not as milky. I believe this girl won't stay here for long. We like milkier cows, but until they are not causing any trouble.
1 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:15 am

Holy moly - that's a lot of udder!! Calf shouldn't starve if it can find those tiny nipples.
1 x

holm25
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby holm25 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:58 pm

Jeanne we seem to have the same opinion on those heavy muscled beasts. Don’t care for them when they get like that. I’ve posted pics of a beef calf we have and he’s the heaviest muscles calf we have had. I wouldn’t want them any heavier than him.. But we do things differently on our side of the pond..
1 x

lithuanian farmer
GURU
GURU

Postby lithuanian farmer » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:00 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:Holy moly - that's a lot of udder!! Calf shouldn't starve if it can find those tiny nipples.

Hopefully. The calf should grow quite well. I was quite disappointed in the milkness of this girl's group. There are few individuals which could hardly raise a decent lamb. But if they'll improve like this one, it won't be a problem.
We had one cow with very small teats. Most of the time calves managed to find it on their own. The shape of the udder was very similar to this one too.
I joked with my mum that we could switch to dairy farming quite easily with such girls!
1 x

Muddy
GURU
GURU

Postby Muddy » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:36 pm

holm25 wrote:Jeanne we seem to have the same opinion on those heavy muscled beasts. Don’t care for them when they get like that. I’ve posted pics of a beef calf we have and he’s the heaviest muscles calf we have had. I wouldn’t want them any heavier than him.. But we do things differently on our side of the pond..

Well holm25, I don't care for light muscled calves or medicore ones.. you have nice calves but some of them seems too light muscled to me.
0 x

frieghttrain
Rancher
Rancher

Postby frieghttrain » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:06 pm

holm25 wrote:Jeanne we seem to have the same opinion on those heavy muscled beasts. Don’t care for them when they get like that. I’ve posted pics of a beef calf we have and he’s the heaviest muscles calf we have had. I wouldn’t want them any heavier than him.. But we do things differently on our side of the pond..
To each his own

This bull does alot of things right in my opinion
3 x

frieghttrain
Rancher
Rancher

Postby frieghttrain » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:09 pm

Good luck with calving LF hope the all come easy and alive :)
1 x

lithuanian farmer
GURU
GURU

Postby lithuanian farmer » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:28 pm

frieghttrain wrote:Good luck with calving LF hope the all come easy and alive :)

Fingers crossed! A friend of mine told me that this bull has some easy calving genetics in him, so we'll see. Hoping for heifers too!
2 x

holm25
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby holm25 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:54 pm

Muddy wrote:

Well holm25, I don't care for light muscled calves or medicore ones.. you have nice calves but some of them seems too light muscled to me.

Buddy I by no means think our calves are perfect and you’re right. A lot of them are too light muscles. We just culled three cows late raised light muscled calves. Our herd isn’t perfect but it’s gettinng closer to how we want it.
1 x

lithuanian farmer
GURU
GURU

Postby lithuanian farmer » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:33 am

Finally have the first BBx calf on the ground. Bull calf out of Charxdairy cow, 274days gestation.

I think I'll use bb for her again. She has a very good fertility and calving ease. Last year she has calved in the mid of November, went inheat on the Christmas day and stuck on the first AI then.
2 x

lithuanian farmer
GURU
GURU

Postby lithuanian farmer » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:07 am

The little boy today.
3 x

Return to “Breeds Board”