Protein Tubs

The place to start if you are new!
BRYANT
GURU
GURU

Re: Protein Tubs

Postby BRYANT » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:18 pm

angus9259 wrote:Wonder how many times you can find this argument on these boards.....

who's in a argument??
0 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Postby Aaron » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:33 pm

BRYANT wrote:
angus9259 wrote:Wonder how many times you can find this argument on these boards.....

who's in a argument??

Anyone in any thread that goes for more than one page. Look at the beginners board - half the people that join are looking for a fight. :D
0 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

BRYANT
GURU
GURU

Postby BRYANT » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:29 pm

Aaron wrote:
BRYANT wrote:

who's in a argument??

Anyone in any thread that goes for more than one page. Look at the beginners board - half the people that join are looking for a fight. :D

that's a new one on me :bang: if I was part of the argument I sure did not know it.
2 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:04 am

Argument?? Where?? Always takes at least two to have a conversation and it's usually more enjoyable and productive if you have more than one point of view. Not trying to prove one is right adn the other wrong.
2 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:23 am

I don't think Angus really meant people were arguing about this topic. Just the fact that there are a lot of pros & cons and has been brought up before.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

JSCATTLE
GURU
GURU

Postby JSCATTLE » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:26 am

I used the pvm tubs from positive feeds. I like them for late summer and early fall before the grass goes dormant. In my area August and sept the grass really declines . During the winter I fed cubes . I don't think they get enough out of the tubs .
1 x
God bless America .. 1/20/17 ..

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:07 am

JSCATTLE wrote:I used the pvm tubs from positive feeds. I like them for late summer and early fall before the grass goes dormant. In my area August and sept the grass really declines . During the winter I fed cubes . I don't think they get enough out of the tubs .

You pretty much nailed it IMO.
I use the pvm 28 percent tubs.
Best tub I've used and I've used a bunch.
0 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

angus9259
GURU
GURU

Postby angus9259 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:15 pm

Sorry. Didn't realize I had to choose my words so carefully.

ar·gu·ment
ˈärɡyəmənt/Submit
noun
an exchange of diverging or opposite views, typically a heated or angry one.
"I've had an argument with my father"
synonyms: quarrel, disagreement, squabble, fight, dispute, wrangle, clash, altercation, feud, contretemps, disputation, falling-out; More
a reason or set of reasons given with the aim of persuading others that an action or idea is right or wrong.
"there is a strong argument for submitting a formal appeal"
synonyms: reasoning, justification, explanation, rationalization;

I meant "argument" is the second definition of the word but it certainly would have been more accurate if I had used the word "conversation" or "debate" than "argument".
2 x

angus9259
GURU
GURU

Postby angus9259 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:19 pm

Correction to previous posting:

Wonder how many times you can find a civil dialogue on the value of using protein tubs relative to the costs associated with feeding grain or other high protein feedstuffs on these boards....
3 x

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:28 pm

My way of thinking is that it comes down to cost vs convenience. I have done both and am using a few tubs this winter for the first time in several years. The way that our setup is we can feed 3 groups at different times in the same barn lot. That makes feeding grain rations easy and fairly cost effective. Then we have some cattle in other places that have to take feed to, the tubs come in handy in those situations as I don't have to take as much feed to them.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:13 pm

I have to say that I am "surprised" at how many of you feed your cows. I'm always accused of "pampering" my cows because I "show" (oops - that's a bad word) but I do NOT feed my cows. I do feed my replacement heifers from weaning and until they get bred & turned out on grass. And, I do put out "creep" feed to my fall calves from now to March when I wean them.
But, I have to admit, here in NY we do (normally) have great hay, especially since I am able to hire someone that has always put mine up as baleage. So, they don't need grain. I'm not opposed to anyone feeding grain, just can't afford to do that. At 5#/hd/day of wsc to my heifers, I feel like they are eating me out of house & home. :shock:
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:14 pm

angus9259 wrote:

Correction to previous posting:

Wonder how many times you can find a civil dialogue on the value of using protein tubs relative to the costs associated with feeding grain or other high protein feedstuffs on these boards....

Angus that's part of the problem. There is much more to comparing the two than cost. But I guess that's about all that matters to most folks. In that case I'd strong suggest anyone simply determine the cost per pound irregardless of the levels of crude protein, fat, fiber, or energy and buy what's cheapest. That's the way so many people already buy hay so do supplement purchases the same way. Can't get any more simple than that, no need for an argument or even a discussion.
2 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:40 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:I have to say that I am "surprised" at how many of you feed your cows. I'm always accused of "pampering" my cows because I "show" (oops - that's a bad word) but I do NOT feed my cows. I do feed my replacement heifers from weaning and until they get bred & turned out on grass. And, I do put out "creep" feed to my fall calves from now to March when I wean them.
But, I have to admit, here in NY we do (normally) have great hay, especially since I am able to hire someone that has always put mine up as baleage. So, they don't need grain. I'm not opposed to anyone feeding grain, just can't afford to do that. At 5#/hd/day of wsc to my heifers, I feel like they are eating me out of house & home. :shock:

What benefits do you get by feeding baleage? The benefits I see of baleage is to the producer, saves time. Here's a very good guide to use for feed values. http://www.ingredients101.com/cottonwhole.htm
WCS cost $150 a ton here and is about the best cattle feed available anywhere.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:12 pm

The benefit is that we can make hay when we need to. It is rare to get 3 days of sunshine here. So, trying to wait to dry hay ends up waiting until July. Then you have hay like I have this year. My cows are not holding their weight like normal, but they are doing "OK". They will get fat & happy when we get grass.
I'm paying $175 bulk delivered. Oops, just caught you said wcs I said wsc (corn). I sooooo wish I could get wcs. I used to add it to my show feed. Great feed - except cannot feed to bulls, especially growing young bulls.
0 x

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:45 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:I have to say that I am "surprised" at how many of you feed your cows. I'm always accused of "pampering" my cows because I "show" (oops - that's a bad word) but I do NOT feed my cows. I do feed my replacement heifers from weaning and until they get bred & turned out on grass. And, I do put out "creep" feed to my fall calves from now to March when I wean them.

For me supplementing the cows with some feed is a necessity, our hay is mainly lower quality fescue. It does run into money, but it seems like the most effective way to run more cows.
0 x

Return to “Beginners Board”