Chain grab boundary strainers vs come alongs

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
Tonka
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Chain grab boundary strainers vs come alongs

Postby Tonka » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:20 pm

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:I wish Tonka would come back and give us an update........

So what you really want to hear is I told you so. Ok so you did .
They work good . Nice to have enough pull to not have to re hitch like I was having to do with the comealongs .
Quick learning curve after getting poped in the arm . Better than the mouth. Make dang sure both dogs are latched before you let go of the handle !
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:45 am

Tonka wrote:
Farm Fence Solutions wrote:I wish Tonka would come back and give us an update........

They work good . Nice to have enough pull to not have to re hitch like I was having to do with the comealongs .
Quick learning curve after getting poped in the arm . Better than the mouth. Make dang sure both dogs are latched before you let go of the handle !

Naw. Just like to hear honest outside opinions. Fencing is a good way to get new front teeth if you ain’t careful.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:48 am

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:
Tonka wrote:

Naw. Just like to hear honest outside opinions. Fencing is a good way to get new front teeth if you ain’t careful.

Not to fire this back up. What kind of comealongs are y'all using?
You should have about 12' of cable.
0 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Tonka
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Tonka » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:26 am

All comealongs I know of are rated on a double line pull . So your 12’ of cable just became 6’ .
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:03 pm

Tonka wrote:All comealongs I know of are rated on a double line pull . So your 12’ of cable just became 6’ .

That rating is also on a rolling load, if I’m not mistaken.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:27 pm

Tonka wrote:All comealongs I know of are rated on a double line pull . So your 12’ of cable just became 6’ .

That's what I thought your using a double cable. Through it away and buy a maasdan power pull. Stock 12' cable. And you'll bend the handle on your strainright trying to out pull it. At least i did. Everything in one package. Truth is either one is plenty strong. A GOOD comealongs is a superior tool. I've used both , and I don't sale either... fwiw
0 x

David Crockett

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:09 pm

0 x

David Crockett

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:39 pm

callmefence wrote:

That's what I thought your using a double cable. Through it away and buy a maasdan power pull. Stock 12' cable. And you'll bend the handle on your strainright trying to out pull it. At least i did. Everything in one package. Truth is either one is plenty strong. A GOOD comealongs is a superior tool. I've used both , and I don't sale either... fwiw

For what it’s worth, you don’t have a Strainrite boundary strainer. You have a 502 strainer. Pretty big difference in the two. The handle on the Boundary Strainers don’t bend. (Dancing jalapeño) And yes, I have some good comealongs that ain’t for sale. Still have some freebies though. Lol
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:12 pm

502 on top. Boundary on bottom.
0 x

fence_it
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby fence_it » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:30 pm

We use the masdaam and they work well, but dont last very long. We probably go through 15 or 20 a year. Key is to keep them oiled.

They will outpull a regular chain grab, I actually prefer the come-along for long runs of barb.
0 x
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:42 pm

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:
callmefence wrote:

For what it’s worth, you don’t have a Strainrite boundary strainer. You have a 502 strainer. Pretty big difference in the two. The handle on the Boundary Strainers don’t bend. (Dancing jalapeño) And yes, I have some good comealongs that ain’t for sale. Still have some freebies though. Lol

So you chunked a pos on the back of my truck and then billed me for it.....wink
0 x

David Crockett

Return to “Tips 'n Tricks”