Automatic waterer

The place to start if you are new!
BFE
Cowhand
Cowhand

Automatic waterer

Postby BFE » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:18 am

What brand do you all recommend for automatic waterers? I'm planning on going with the unheated kind. I've been told Pride of the Farm are good, and a local guy deals in Ritchie. What do you use and why do you like or dislike it?
0 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Automatic waterer

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:20 am

Love Ritchie and Behlen.
1 x
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:22 am

I use the double basin heated Ritchie. It has been in for 7 years and never had a problem.

Good installation is the secret.
1 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

pricefarm
GURU
GURU

Postby pricefarm » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:36 am

I have a couple Ritchie's I like mine. Like Ron said the installation is the key in having one work right.
0 x

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:47 am

Bright Raven wrote:I use the double basin heated Ritchie. It has been in for 7 years and never had a problem.

Good installation is the secret.

+1. I keep basic repair parts on hand just in case. Haven't used any yet. Been in 3 winters now.
0 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are. -Anais Nin
Happy people build their inner world; unhappy people blame their outer world. -Dalai Lama

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:23 am

Canarm for heated troughs. Unheated is not an option here unless you go this route. https://www.sundogsolarwind.com/solar-winter-watering-
I have this and it is a pretty good deal.
0 x

littletom
Rancher
Rancher

Postby littletom » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:34 pm

Got 4 four ball miramount and one 2 ball. Been in several years and half of them bought used 1 froze up once.
0 x

littletom
Rancher
Rancher

Postby littletom » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:40 pm

Got 5 4 ball forgot one. Keep the gravel up arond the concrete after they walk it down every couple years. I have never had another brand. Only complaint some times weaning calves take a bit to catch on when they come out of pond only fields i take a ball out for a few days.
0 x

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:26 pm

I have a mirafount, I really like it. It’s gravity fed from a spring. Only thing is that up here we have to keep a few head on it or it will freeze up over time.
1 x

kdhansen
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby kdhansen » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:00 pm

We put in Cobett waterers https://cobett.com this past summer. So far, so good. We have only been in the low to mid 'teens, and not even an ice crystal in the water. We used the one with a float (recommended because of water quality). Calves and yearlings went right to it (curiosity?); cows now don't fight over who gets the fresh water by the float (like in the old water trough). Have enjoyed not having to break ice, cows lined up to get water, unthawing water hydrants, hoses ... Will see how it works when it gets really cold. Was told might have to break a little ice on top sometimes when it stays below 0*...Really EASY to clean. Have the large model, have seen 3 cows drinking at the same time. Was told: "Bury them so top is 20" above ground level.. looks too low, but TRUST instructions! Works way better if tops do't stick out too high."
0 x

BigBear
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby BigBear » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:23 pm

Mirafount lil spring 3900 is what I just bought. Has a removable tank heater which is why I got it. I can replace easily if it goes bad. I do not believe the Ritchie’s have a removable heating element. I also added a secondary ground rod to go along with my GFI outlet. But as Raven said, a good installation is the key. This will be my first winter with it but since you are going the non heated route, it has worked great since spring and install was a very simple. Uncle has had both Mirafount and Ritchie for many years on a 400 head dairy and has had zero problem with either.
0 x
Well he's tall in the saddle, short on the cash
The last to quit, the first to buy the beer

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:34 am

I think I might look into a non-powered waterer at some point.. I do have power, but if I can avoid the bills I'd like to.. only need it in the corrals, other places with the gravity water they just have a bathtub with constant flow, never have freezing problems down to -10F
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Return to “Beginners Board”