Herd bull selection time

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
gizmom
GURU
GURU

Re: Herd bull selection time

Postby gizmom » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:47 pm

I will try to get some pictures. The boss has been cracking the whip pretty hard so haven’t had much time. It may be after Thanksgiving before I get a chance to get photos. The good news is we finished working the last group of cows today so now we are on cruise control until time to start AI in oh about five weeks. I am just thankful we are still healthy enough to do what we do. Now I have to get busy on Thanksgiving meal, which I sure enjoy preparing!

Gizmom
0 x
Respect give it to get it!

gizmom
GURU
GURU

Postby gizmom » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:16 pm

Well we decided to use E22... the reasoning is in the heifer pen I have quite a few Charlo and C21 daughters. The E19 and E38 are Charlo sons the C21 bull is out of 0524 the dam of the Charlo bulls. The E22 won’t have any 1/2 sibs in the pen, I also just like him. Today I was shooting some pictures for a bull customer, I apologize up front I didn’t take any of E22 since I am going to use him and I was trying to get photos of the ones he might be interested in

A couple of group shots overall a nice set of young bulls.

E19 my friend Tim would give me the devil for posting this picture the calf is a whole lot better than this photo.

E11 a flush brother to E19 a better idea of the mass that E19 is carrying

I will try to get a photo of E38 and E22 both are really nice calves.

Gizmom
2 x

snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby snoopdog » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:07 pm

Well, E19 was my pick, just read this, because of the sc and higher yw, and I don't see anything wrong with his pic
0 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

gizmom
GURU
GURU

Postby gizmom » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:24 pm

SD

Thanks E19 is really good, he really is a lot better than the picture. You can tell by E11 that the testosterone is kicking in on these boys the pushing and shoving has begun. I always worry when it starts because of fear of one getting hurt.

Gizmom
0 x

Davemk
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Davemk » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:20 am

What is wrong with breeding half sibs in a registered herd?
1 x

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU

Postby Ebenezer » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:32 am

Davemk wrote:What is wrong with breeding half sibs in a registered herd?

It would emphasize faults of a common ancestor, such as lack of height.
0 x

Davemk
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Davemk » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:59 am

But I thought the purpose of a Registered herd was to have cattle that bred to type. The only way to do that is inbreeding.
When we create new corn hybrids, we inbreed for 7 generations and then cross the inbreds to get heterosis. The end product is much more predictable.
0 x

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU

Postby Ebenezer » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:36 pm

Davemk wrote:But I thought the purpose of a Registered herd was to have cattle that bred to type. The only way to do that is inbreeding.
When we create new corn hybrids, we inbreed for 7 generations and then cross the inbreds to get heterosis. The end product is much more predictable.

Modern livestock breeding is not about the genetics and individual breeder herd development and control. It is about marketing, coat tail effects, the power of advertising and many following the few. Names sell. Forget trying to make your own unless you are monied enough to pave your own trail to glory. Once a species is integrated, then the genetics are key but not so much breeds and people. Then the genes become proprietary.

Unless you have guts.
1 x

gizmom
GURU
GURU

Postby gizmom » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:47 pm

Dave and EB
I am not afraid to breed 1/2 sibs have done it numerous times, linebreeding as Eb said is not for the faint of heart. In this case I would not be scared to use either of the Charlo calves but from the beginning I have had the Renown calf on my short list. I feel i do a pretty good job breeding cattle, I also think they are pretty consistent in type and kind. I have a breeding plan and stick to it. I do use new bulls but not unless they have the genetic makeup that fits my plan. I also admit that having the C11 cow in the pedigree of E22 is a huge factor. I have used several bulls from the 658 cow in our program I like them and wanted to plug more of that genetic back into the equation.

Edited to add I went back and looked E22 will be breeding 7 heifers that either have 658 on the dam or sire side.

Gizmom
1 x

Davemk
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Davemk » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:30 pm

gizmom wrote:Dave and EB
I am not afraid to breed 1/2 sibs have done it numerous times, linebreeding as Eb said is not for the faint of heart. In this case I would not be scared to use either of the Charlo calves but from the beginning I have had the Renown calf on my short list. I feel i do a pretty good job breeding cattle, I also think they are pretty consistent in type and kind. I have a breeding plan and stick to it. I do use new bulls but not unless they have the genetic makeup that fits my plan. I also admit that having the C11 cow in the pedigree of E22 is a huge factor. I have used several bulls from the 658 cow in our program I like them and wanted to plug more of that genetic back into the equation.

Edited to add I went back and looked E22 will be breeding 7 heifers that either have 658 on the dam or sire side.

Gizmom

Looks like you have a plan and are sticking to it. Your cattle look really good in the pictures.
1 x

gizmom
GURU
GURU

Postby gizmom » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:34 pm

The vet was out today to do BSE exams on all of our young bulls and the two older bulls we used last year and plan to use again this year. Total of 31 BSE’s, 28 fourteen month old bulls, one thirteen month old and two 26 month old bulls. Had one 14 month old deferred the rest passed. All three of my short list calves passed. I was pretty with the results.

The two year olds

D26 is a Recharge out of our 811 cow (811 has been one of my favorites since birth)

D45 is an ET calf out of Resource and SAV Blackcap May 2315

We haves calves on the ground out of both these young bulls and they are really nice.

Gizmom
2 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:09 am

You do a great job raising your cattle, and a very good management program. Real quality cattle!!!
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

gizmom
GURU
GURU

Postby gizmom » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:13 pm

Thank you very much we sure do try to get it right! :tiphat:

Gizmom
0 x

holm25
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby holm25 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:49 pm

Beautiful bulls. You guys have a beautiful operation.
0 x

gizmom
GURU
GURU

Postby gizmom » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:42 pm

Thanks Holm!

Gizmom
0 x

Return to “Breeding / Calving Issues”