Calving Season

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Re: Calving Season

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Fri May 11, 2018 4:16 pm

I'm not knocking the old bulls. Just was wondering. It's too bad your modern genetic pool is not divers enough to offer the type/style you are striving for. You have good cattle and you could run out of choices.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Backbone Ranch
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Backbone Ranch » Thu May 17, 2018 1:24 pm

Jeanne- We have definitely thrown around the idea of importing semen from a few Australian bulls, but we have not pulled the trigger on it yet. It is likely something that we will do in the future. At the moment, Tony is our only herd sire, but I did buy a bull a few days ago that should add some depth to our breeding program. He was born on the same farm as the rest of our herd, but is out of very different bloodlines. He has not arrived yet, but I will get some pictures of him when he does. I am very excited to see some calves out of him; he has been working in a commercial herd for the past few breeding seasons and just turned three years old. Between him, and potentially one of these AI calves, we should be able to add some more genetic diversity to our herd.
0 x
Backbone Ranch- Murray Greys
http://www.backboneranch.com/

gcreekrch
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby gcreekrch » Thu May 17, 2018 1:45 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:You seem to use quite a few OLD bulls. Do you have trouble finding good modern bulls?

A lot of those old genetics got us where we are today. The right kind are definately still worth using.
3 x
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

Backbone Ranch
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Backbone Ranch » Thu May 17, 2018 9:41 pm

Had another bull calf born a few days ago. This one was a 102 lb calf out of one of our bigger cows. I checked on her right around lunch time and she wasn't showing any signs of labor. Checked again two hours later and she had already dried off her calf. Here he is at 3 days. His dam will be 10 years old this September.

This is our Ballee Thumbs Up son, the 801 bull. He is 11 weeks old here. We will be AIing his dam again to Ballee Thumbs Up tomorrow in hopes of getting a full sibling to this bull on the ground. We think that he is pretty special.

Here is the 803 bull calf, shown here at 10 weeks. He is our Spectrum Kenton son, and he definitely has more frame than our other calves. We also be repeating this mating when we AI tomorrow. In the future, we will likely be breeding Kenton to some of our smaller cows that still have good calving ease in order to increase their frame.

This heifer is probably my favorite out of the six females that we have on the ground. She is a Tony daughter and is 75% Murray Grey x 25% Angus. She is pictured here at 14 days.

And this was our "unknown" bull calf that was born halfway between the AI and natural service due dates. Still have not DNA tested him, but I intend to collect some tail hair tomorrow from him when he goes through the chute. He is 7 weeks here.

These two photos show our other Trigger's Champion son. He is 2 1/2 months old in both of these pictures. He is one that seems to get better every day. His mother will be AIed this year to one of the best bull's in our tank, Bimbadeen Innamincka's Star.

And this last picture shows part of our group that will be bred live-cover this year with their calves.
1 x

JWBrahman
GURU
GURU

Postby JWBrahman » Fri May 18, 2018 5:43 am

Congratulations for making the Murray Grey work for your situation. It's tough to be different in this market.

Chris Frye sold out completely, his squeeze chute and cattle gates are for sale in the Louisiana Market Bulletin. There is a lot of speculation that feeder prices will go below $1 this summer.

We're watchin like vultures, trying to pick up some real estate when the newbies inevitably get out of cattle.
0 x

frieghttrain
Rancher
Rancher

Postby frieghttrain » Fri May 18, 2018 10:12 am

Backbone Ranch wrote:Had another bull calf born a few days ago. This one was a 102 lb calf out of one of our bigger cows. I checked on her right around lunch time and she wasn't showing any signs of labor. Checked again two hours later and she had already dried off her calf. Here he is at 3 days. His dam will be 10 years old this September.

This is our Ballee Thumbs Up son, the 801 bull. He is 11 weeks old here. We will be AIing his dam again to Ballee Thumbs Up tomorrow in hopes of getting a full sibling to this bull on the ground. We think that he is pretty special.

Here is the 803 bull calf, shown here at 10 weeks. He is our Spectrum Kenton son, and he definitely has more frame than our other calves. We also be repeating this mating when we AI tomorrow. In the future, we will likely be breeding Kenton to some of our smaller cows that still have good calving ease in order to increase their frame.

This heifer is probably my favorite out of the six females that we have on the ground. She is a Tony daughter and is 75% Murray Grey x 25% Angus. She is pictured here at 14 days.

And this was our "unknown" bull calf that was born halfway between the AI and natural service due dates. Still have not DNA tested him, but I intend to collect some tail hair tomorrow from him when he goes through the chute. He is 7 weeks here.

These two photos show our other Trigger's Champion son. He is 2 1/2 months old in both of these pictures. He is one that seems to get better every day. His mother will be AIed this year to one of the best bull's in our tank, Bimbadeen Innamincka's Star.

And this last picture shows part of our group that will be bred live-cover this year with their calves.

Looking good! Care to share a picture of that Innamincka's star bull?
0 x

Backbone Ranch
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Backbone Ranch » Thu May 31, 2018 9:17 pm

JWBrahman- I did hear that Chris Fry was intending to get out of the cattle business, but I have not heard from him lately. We ended up buying his semen tank last year, and he still had a number of cows at that time. I need to get in touch with him and see how he's doing.

Freighttrain- This is the bull, Bimbadeen Innamincka's Star. I have seen photos of a number of his sons, and a handful of his daugthers; they were all awesome individuals. We only had three straws from him to begin with, so our fingers are crossed that she takes.

And this bull is Thologolong Innamincka. He is the sire of Innamincka's Star. He was a four time Melbourne Royal show champion.
1 x

frieghttrain
Rancher
Rancher

Postby frieghttrain » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:05 am

Nice bulls!
0 x

Backbone Ranch
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Backbone Ranch » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:26 pm

Thought that I would update this thread with pictures of some of the calves.
803 Bull at 3 months

805 Bull at 3 months

And these are some Tony daughters of out first calf heifers. These calves were born in late September and early October of last year.
BB Goldie with 730 Heifer- This cow is the first AI sired female that we had born on the place. She is a daughter of Cadella Park Golden Boy, a Murray Grey bull from the 1970s, and her heifer was born on October 1st at 46 lbs. She's 7 and 8 months old in these two pictures.

734 heifer- Born October 5th at 60 lbs.

And pair is another that I am really happy with. This heifer calf was born on October 2nd at 68 lbs.

This last heifer is pictured at 2 months. She was 68 lbs at birth and is out of one of our largest cows. Her full sister last year weighed 100 lbs and grew like mad. This heifer started out much smaller, but is growing a lot like her sister.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:05 am

Awesome
Probably my least favorite is the 1st bull - kind of parts & pieces looking in the picture, but massive.
The rest are absolutely kick-butt great. I would be proud to have their phenotype consistently in my herd.
Great breeding program.
0 x

Till-Hill
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Till-Hill » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:30 am

gcreekrch wrote:
Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:You seem to use quite a few OLD bulls. Do you have trouble finding good modern bulls?

A lot of those old genetics got us where we are today. The right kind are definately still worth using.

I agree, I went back and used up my SSS-SCF Autobahn 020G (RWF PB Simmental) in our red genetics last few years.

Shear Force born in 2000 I still have semen on. Will use it sometime in near future.

Have some Brook's Above Par '01 model I'll use on some higher % Angus deals.

Angus bull LT Bando 9074 born in '99 I'll use, and BC Lookout born in '04 oldest stuff I can think of I'll keep using.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:08 am

BC Lookout and Shear Force are extremely STILL popular today.
1 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:00 pm

Great pictures and eye popping cattle.
0 x
Make America Happy Again

Backbone Ranch
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Backbone Ranch » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:16 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:Awesome
Probably my least favorite is the 1st bull - kind of parts & pieces looking in the picture, but massive.
The rest are absolutely kick-butt great. I would be proud to have their phenotype consistently in my herd.
Great breeding program.

We are definitely very proud of this set of calves. We ended up having 75% bull calves this year, but I believe that this may be the best calf crop that we have had to date. I completely agree with your assessment of the 803 bull. His head and neck definitely do not fit his body at this point. Historically, his dam has raised "pretty" bull calves that lacked some width and masculinity. Breeding her to this particular bull went a long way to correct that. Here is a different view of the 803 bull calf. He's 3 1/2 months old in this picture.
0 x

Backbone Ranch
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Backbone Ranch » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:28 pm

And these are a handful of our other calves. The first two are AI sired by various bulls, and then the rest are out of BB Uncle Tony. I believe that quite of a few of these will make the bull pen this year.
801 Bull- Definitely one of my top picks out of the calf crop. He's not even 4 months old here and he's a complete outcross to our current herdsire, Tony.

805 Bull- He is pictured here again with his dam. He's not even 3 1/2 months old in this picture and look at how big he is! I'm very interested to see how this bull matures as he gets older.

And these are a handful of our Tony sons. They range in age from 2-3 months. The 829 bull is 7/8 Murray Grey and all the rest are purebred.

And these are two of our Tony daughters. The first heifer is purebred and the second is 75% MG and 25% Guernsey. Both are 2 1/2 to 3 months old here.
0 x

Return to “Breeds Board”