semen interest in every bull sold

Help Support CattleToday:

True Grit Farms":2sch3rpv said:
But then again I don't let anyone borrow my equipment anymore either. If someone needs a hole dug I do it for them, seems like my stuff doesn't break nearly as much anymore.

Since you brought it up...by the same token, it's why I just won't borrow anything any more. If it breaks, I have to replace it or fix it, or pay to fix it, usually pretty expensive, and when all is said and done, and I still won't have that piece of equipment. My neighbor is wanting to drop his Kubota mini excavator off here so I can use it to put in a 24" pipe drain, ( a new drain on my property will help keep normal localized rain water off his property) and I won't accept that...for my part, it's better for me to just pay him to do it.

greybeard":rypu8fpu said:
True Grit Farms":rypu8fpu said:
But then again I don't let anyone borrow my equipment anymore either. If someone needs a hole dug I do it for them, seems like my stuff doesn't break nearly as much anymore.

Since you brought it up...by the same token, it's why I just won't borrow anything any more. If it breaks, I have to replace it or fix it, or pay to fix it, usually pretty expensive, and when all is said and done, and I still won't have that piece of equipment. My neighbor is wanting to drop his Kubota mini excavator off here so I can use it to put in a 24" pipe drain, ( a new drain on my property will help keep normal localized rain water off his property) and I won't accept that...for my part, it's better for me to just pay him to do it.

i've found that people who want you to borrow their equipment know its about to break and know its a easy way to get it fixed for free.

Ddd

Now that is looking at the glass and calling it half empty. I don't like to borrow anything either, but when someone makes an offer I don't think they are wanting me to have to pay for repairs. I appreciate that they are willing to allow me to use something they spent their hard earned dollars on. I may not take them up on it but I still appreciate the offer. I refuse to go through life thinking everyone is out to take advantage of me.

I still believe in do unto others as you would have them do unto you, that has served me well over the years.

Gizmom

gizmom":vy22cxow said:
Ddd

Now that is looking at the glass and calling it half empty. I don't like to borrow anything either, but when someone makes an offer I don't think they are wanting me to have to pay for repairs. I appreciate that they are willing to allow me to use something they spent their hard earned dollars on. I may not take them up on it but I still appreciate the offer. I refuse to go through life thinking everyone is out to take advantage of me.

I still believe in do unto others as you would have them do unto you, that has served me well over the years.

Gizmom

Amen, if we all lived by that quote we'd be in heaven.

gizmom":bg0vmz1e said:
Ddd

Gizmom

I believe the dollar drives people more than anything else. I've never seen 'true good' in people, maybe a few.. very few. Most people that have earned my 'trust' have screwed me over one way or the other. everyone can help themselves for all I'm concerned.. no one goes out of there way for me.. they only go out of there way to screw someone over, or to make a quick buck.

btw.. i've never screwed anyone or did wrong to anyone. I do treat people how I want to be treated.. But people do not treat me like that. I just have one of those faces I guess.

ddd75":16nvewlj said:
gizmom":16nvewlj said:
Ddd

Gizmom

I believe the dollar drives people more than anything else. I've never seen 'true good' in people, maybe a few.. very few. Most people that have earned my 'trust' have screwed me over one way or the other. everyone can help themselves for all I'm concerned.. no one goes out of there way for me.. they only go out of there way to screw someone over, or to make a quick buck.

btw.. i've never screwed anyone or did wrong to anyone. I do treat people how I want to be treated.. But people do not treat me like that. I just have one of those faces I guess.

It's your attitude, I can relate first hand. As you age you start to see things a little different.

DD

You need to find new people to hang out with, life is to short to spend it with folks you don't trust. TG is right about seeing things differently as we age, I think everyone has good in them, some it's just a little harder to find it in than others. I didn't always feel that way but as I have aged I have come to the realization that just because I may not agree with them it doesn't make them wrong. Every issue has two sides I have learned we can agree to disagree and still be friends.

Gizmom

People have good in them as long as your feeding them something.

I was told a long time ago. You become the people you surround your self with. And told to be around people more successful than yourself and keep your ears open.

littletom":3dssx00m said:
I was told a long time ago. You become the people you surround your self with. And told to be around people more successful than yourself and keep your ears open.
i don't surround myself with anyone. I try to keep to myself. I haven't been around very many successful people .. maybe some who portray to be successful, but in reality they are paycheck poor. The ones who do actually have something they were given it / left it by daddy/grandaddy. I'm in the top 1% for networth and I find being young and owning a lot of assets has driven people to be really jealous. The few who don't have the jealousy bug only want to be 'buddies' because they want something.. to use my land to hunt or whatever. I'm not looking for friends.

ddd75":3ukkgo5v said:
littletom":3ukkgo5v said:
i don't surround myself with anyone. I try to keep to myself. I haven't been around very many successful people .. maybe some who portray to be successful, but in reality they are paycheck poor. The ones who do actually have something they were given it / left it by daddy/grandaddy. I'm in the top 1% for networth and I find being young and owning a lot of assets has driven people to be really jealous. The few who don't have the jealousy bug only want to be 'buddies' because they want something.. to use my land to hunt or whatever. I'm not looking for friends.

Aren't we friends? I'll pray for you, you'll find your way with a little help.

ddd75":3kjsj01h said:
pdfangus":3kjsj01h said:
an admission that even through all the hype.....they don't know which ones are the good ones....

normally though collection is done at the convenience of the bull buyer and not the convenience of the seller.

I agree.. they should know if they are selling!

It says in this sale they have the right to come collect the bull at their expense out of your pasture, at your convenience. Seems to me I bought the bull, I don't need someone taking him because he turned out really good..
In that case don't buy him.

Do you not understand the phrase "at your convenience"? If it isn't convenient for you then you don't do it. I would bet there is several months in the year that you aren't using him. Also a semen bank is a nice insurance policy if something bad happens.
It seems like it isn't a big deal, probably a 1% chance of the seller wanting them to collect him and it sounds like it is no expense for you, when you want to do it.

Sometimes you don't know the best bull until the calves are on the ground or on the hook.. If someone tells you they know which yearling bull is gonna sire the best calves they are lying to you..

Ebenezer":vgbdhzww said:
Sort of a backdoor sales gimmick: "All of our bulls are so good that they might be famous AI sires in the future" is implied. Not worth an extra dime.

an admission that even through all the hype.....they don't know which ones are the good ones....
Dead on. When the EPDs describe the average calf of a sire in unproven sons and sale bulls do not have a stabilized genetic base, it's whichever one gets the fairy dust with their gene combinations at conception. A roll of the dice.

What I have learned to dislike more is the omission of either DOC scores in herds with problems or lack of defect info for herds which have a possibility to sell you a carrier. Buyer beware.

A sale recently, bragged about his bulls feet on the sale offering. Later heard, he had them all trimmed up prior to sale and the reason a few were taken out of sale is because their feet got all messed up when trimming. The person whom made these claims, works for him.

This has to be the lowest of lows, IMO.

ddd75":18fpkkks said:
littletom":18fpkkks said:
AMEN!

I don't however, everyone is out to screw us over. We have a few friends we kinda co-op with on larger purchases that we all aren't ready to pay full price on. I.E. A dirt scraper. If it broke, we'd all be responsible for repairs. These are good people, life long friends...working towards the same goals.

ddd75":1jtwrb5l said:
littletom":1jtwrb5l said:
I hate that for you. Having good farmer friends has helped us all be better bouncing ideas off each other and comparing notes. Top 1% of what Ohio, the u.s. or world? Sounds like a tool measuring contest

I've seen it listed several ways. Some retain a semen interest on all bulls. Some on select bulls and others retain an interest for in herd use only. The Hereford bull we purchased this spring they retained a 1/4 semen interest in. They retained an interest in 6-8 out of 40 plus bulls. The breeder said they likely would never collect him. They used him as a clean up bull behind AI last year when he was a yearling. I'm interested to see what his calves look like. I've been hesitant to bid on some bulls because of the way they listed it. To me for in herd use is different than if I have him collected and elect to sell some of it. In our case we will likely never collect him and if we did it would be for our own use. Just like the possession clause. Some specify when they will want to use a bull while others state the time will be determined later. I have a friend who talked to the breeder before the sale and he stated he calved all of his cows in the spring and would want him for 90 days starting around June 1st. Then after he bought the bull the breeder wanted him to split the 90 days and each would use him for 45 days. He says he will likely never buy a bull without getting full possession again.

Latest posts