So it's still not spring

The place to start if you are new!
chevytaHOE5674
Rancher
Rancher

Re: So it's still not spring

Postby chevytaHOE5674 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:24 am

About a foot of new snow over the last few days. Between 2 and 4 feet still on the ground. I'm just hoping that it warms up slowly, because even for us this is pretty heavy snow cover this late in the season.
0 x

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:41 am

chevy; I know that snow is not that unusual in your part of the country into April, but getting a foot ....WOW. We got 3.1 " rain Sunday night /Monday and is cloudy and grey and now COLD. Down to freezing last night after being in the 80's Fri and Sat and then 60's Sun and Monday. We were moving cattle out to pasture already by this time last year, and had hay down the first of May. We needed the rain badly, but not as much as some places out OK way. Weather sure doesn't follow any normal patterns anymore.
0 x

chevytaHOE5674
Rancher
Rancher

Postby chevytaHOE5674 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:14 am

We lucked out, to our south they got 20+ inches of snow over the last couple days. They were predicting that much here, so I am "happy" with only getting 12 inches.
0 x

gcreekrch
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby gcreekrch » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:19 pm

Forecast says spring arrives here on Monday.
0 x
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:32 pm

Spring started about a month ago,but winter didn't get the memo...
2 x
there are two ways to argue with a woman.....neither one works..

NonTypicalCPA
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NonTypicalCPA » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:42 pm

Sunny and 72f today!
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:38 pm

We're supposed to get around 27C (80F) this week.. it's going to kick my butt, not going to be used to that
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:11 pm

Nesi, I think that is the problem with everyone and even the animals. The swings in temps have been hard to deal with. I think that is partly why I got this cold, and why the cows are having a hard time too. I wouldn't mind getting a couple of weeks of 35 to 60 even with the rain... but 80 for 2 days then down to 30's and frost at night; is just way more inconsistent than what I can remember in a long time.
I am afraid that we will turn to the 80's again, and then it will stay hot and dry out. Drought monitor today says a "normal" next 3 months, adequate moisture through June and into July but extreme drought in the southwest still.... Thing is, we will barely be done with first cutting if it ever starts to grow, and if it turns dry we will not get much 2nd. Got a local farm sale in early June, settling an estate, and we are thinking to buy a good portion of the last years rolls of hay. It's close so not an unreasonable amount of hauling. Ought to go reasonable to cheap, as everyone will be making this year's hay. Want to have a good number of "reserve" rolls to go into next winter. We have been rolling out some 2 yr old hay when we were getting all that slushy snow so the calves had a place to lay out of the wet. Cows ate alot of it surprisingly, and the rest will add organic matter back into the soil so a win/win all the way around. They are out picking but the grass has been slow here.
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:26 pm

It must be spring - - it did not freeze last night.
0 x
Stocker Steve

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:10 am

farmerjan wrote:Nesi, I think that is the problem with everyone and even the animals. The swings in temps have been hard to deal with. I think that is partly why I got this cold, and why the cows are having a hard time too. I wouldn't mind getting a couple of weeks of 35 to 60 even with the rain... but 80 for 2 days then down to 30's and frost at night; is just way more inconsistent than what I can remember in a long time.
I am afraid that we will turn to the 80's again, and then it will stay hot and dry out. Drought monitor today says a "normal" next 3 months, adequate moisture through June and into July but extreme drought in the southwest still.... Thing is, we will barely be done with first cutting if it ever starts to grow, and if it turns dry we will not get much 2nd. Got a local farm sale in early June, settling an estate, and we are thinking to buy a good portion of the last years rolls of hay. It's close so not an unreasonable amount of hauling. Ought to go reasonable to cheap, as everyone will be making this year's hay. Want to have a good number of "reserve" rolls to go into next winter. We have been rolling out some 2 yr old hay when we were getting all that slushy snow so the calves had a place to lay out of the wet. Cows ate alot of it surprisingly, and the rest will add organic matter back into the soil so a win/win all the way around. They are out picking but the grass has been slow here.

Around here, we don't seem to get the wild swings, or at least don't have the humidity to make them particularly bad.

I have far more hay in my shed that I'd like, might feed some of it out between the grazing of the first and second cuts.. I have never bought hay and hopefully never need to.. We have the water, but any injury or medical issue that would put me out of commission for a few weeks could affect my ability to put it on the land.. Usually we get snow in December and can graze till then, latest I've started feeding is New years, but it certainly isn't impossible to get a pile in November.. an extra 6 weeks of feeding can add up quick.. we did have a darned cold snap in November last year that kinda caught me off guard.. still had the main irrigation lines pressurized.. got down to about -14C (8F).. I couldn't shut them down, wouldn't have the time to drain them before they froze solid, so just had to open up the flow and hope for the best.. was far too close for comfort though
0 x
-Christopher Hitchens

1wlimo
Rancher
Rancher

Postby 1wlimo » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:29 pm

Nesikep wrote:
farmerjan wrote:Nesi, I think that is the problem with everyone and even the animals. The swings in temps have been hard to deal with. I think that is partly why I got this cold, and why the cows are having a hard time too. I wouldn't mind getting a couple of weeks of 35 to 60 even with the rain... but 80 for 2 days then down to 30's and frost at night; is just way more inconsistent than what I can remember in a long time.

Around here, we don't seem to get the wild swings, or at least don't have the humidity to make them particularly bad.

I have far more hay in my shed that I'd like, might feed some of it out between the grazing of the first and second cuts.. I have never bought hay and hopefully never need to.. We have the water, but any injury or medical issue that would put me out of commission for a few weeks could affect my ability to put it on the land.. Usually we get snow in December and can graze till then, latest I've started feeding is New years, but it certainly isn't impossible to get a pile in November.. an extra 6 weeks of feeding can add up quick.. we did have a darned cold snap in November last year that kinda caught me off guard.. still had the main irrigation lines pressurized.. got down to about -14C (8F).. I couldn't shut them down, wouldn't have the time to drain them before they froze solid, so just had to open up the flow and hope for the best.. was far too close for comfort though

If you were here that could snap started then and did not let up till this week.
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:13 pm

I've heard all about it from Hillsdown and others... I was getting daily weather reports from Minnesota too.. UGGG
0 x
-Christopher Hitchens

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:56 am

been warm and nice..

but grass isn't growing almost at all.. all greened up.. growing so slow.. just got a nice rain as well.

going to have to sell some cows soon if things don't speed up.
0 x

Allenw
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Allenw » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:23 am

Oklahoma will likely set a new record for the coldest April since records were kept.
0 x

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Postby Aaron » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:02 am

Snow is gone minus a few remaining glaciers hidden in the shade of trees. First areas that opened up now have grass growing. Some places I have a good inch to inch 1/2 of new growth. Every day for past 2 weeks has been 50F and above. Some guys already fertilizing. Others going to hit fields next week.
0 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

Return to “Beginners Board”