So it's still not spring

Help Support CattleToday:

Love my Galloways! They have a double coat and handle the cold better than the heat in my opinion. Most are very friendly, good mothers, rich milk, and very good beef on poor forage.

Stocker Steve":n8eepn2i said:
It must be spring. We were able to get the snow drift removed, and open the outhouse door.

Better take a picture for next months photo contest...

@boondocks ; I was just looking at the weather maps and see where you are going to get another "round"..... we went from 38 and some snow and cold rain/sleet last Monday, to 80 the last 2 days and actually "hot" in comparison. Luckily, this system will be rain but potential for winds and downpours. It actually has gotten so dry they had a fire alert and banned burning for 2 days due to the high winds. It has certainly been feast or famine here. I really do feel so bad for you getting all that "winter" up there still.

Could see over a foot of snow in the next few days UP here. The way the winter keeps dragging on we might hit 300 inches of snowfall yet this season.....

MSP airport is at 13" and it is still snowing. Should be an all time storm record for April. We only have a couple inches from this storm but that is enough to cover the icy base for some nice snowmobiling!
I have a lean to full of heifers with new calves. They need to go out to to pasture but we had wind gusts up to 45 mph yesterday. So, more hand work today to keep them comfortable.

i'm sure glad I bought all that extra hay last year. no good grass weather until next sat. here

farmerjan":2sy5666i said:
@boondocks ; I was just looking at the weather maps and see where you are going to get another "round"..... we went from 38 and some snow and cold rain/sleet last Monday, to 80 the last 2 days and actually "hot" in comparison. Luckily, this system will be rain but potential for winds and downpours. It actually has gotten so dry they had a fire alert and banned burning for 2 days due to the high winds. It has certainly been feast or famine here. I really do feel so bad for you getting all that "winter" up there still.

Thanks, I'll take all the sympathy I can get right now! We're stuck in a Maytag of crazyhigh winds with freezing rain and snow, wind chills getting too close to zero, and gonna stay mostly this way several days. Looks better starting about a week from now--sure hope so. Our grass is weeks behind, and we're usually very slow to green up anyway. Hoping the hay holds out. We're looking at turnout in June at this point...

Spring is slowly coming here.. we're behind as well, though not as much as you folks... Got some little flowers out, buttercups 2 weeks ago, willow is leafing out.. grass just starting to wake up

Got a bit over 3" rain but tornados in several places. Luckily winds were not that bad here but they were strong. Now supposed to get down to the upper 20's - low 30's tonight with severe FROST warnings. Can't win although the rain was welcome. Cannot imagine still getting snow....

Nesikep":1f68jz71 said:
Spring is slowly coming here.. we're behind as well, though not as much as you folks... Got some little flowers out, buttercups 2 weeks ago, willow is leafing out.. grass just starting to wake up

Snowing here again, and we are still plowing over a foot of snow to find places to put calves. There is still snow in lows of over two feet. Ugg. Saturday night was the first night since the start of November it did not free hard here.

Had to stop selling hay the local people we supply horse hay too. We should have hay to last till June.

No forest fires, so that is good.

About a foot of new snow over the last few days. Between 2 and 4 feet still on the ground. I'm just hoping that it warms up slowly, because even for us this is pretty heavy snow cover this late in the season.

chevy; I know that snow is not that unusual in your part of the country into April, but getting a foot ....WOW. We got 3.1 " rain Sunday night /Monday and is cloudy and grey and now COLD. Down to freezing last night after being in the 80's Fri and Sat and then 60's Sun and Monday. We were moving cattle out to pasture already by this time last year, and had hay down the first of May. We needed the rain badly, but not as much as some places out OK way. Weather sure doesn't follow any normal patterns anymore.

We lucked out, to our south they got 20+ inches of snow over the last couple days. They were predicting that much here, so I am "happy" with only getting 12 inches.

Latest posts