Summer Garden 2018

Help Support CattleToday:

ga.prime":1ahbz625 said:
Sky, I don't know what kind of yellow meated watermelons jl is growing but if you want to grow some, I suggest Desert King. They get pretty big, 30-40 lbs. Good and sweet too.

Gotcha I will try those next year.

I have serious issues with end rot in my tomatoes and no matter what i put down or spray on them it keeps happening. That is really ticking me off... Ive used drywall lime end rot chemical spray nothing seems to help or could it be all this rain we are getting thats causing the issue?

skyhightree1":1ih38uqb said:
Jogeephus":1ih38uqb said:
skyhightree1":1ih38uqb said:
Last fall

How did you fertilize them?

Side dress then cultivate it in

I'm trying to figure out your problem but you aren't giving specific details so its making it hard. It sounds like you are getting plenty of rain but if its been sporadic with dry spells between the rains this could be the problem since this will block the calcium uptake. Another thing is if you overdid your fertilizer using a high ammonium based fertilizer this might be the problem since high ammonium fertilizer will lock up the calcium and lead to blossom end rot just like uneven moisture will. Or, its something other than blossom end rot. Pictures?

Jogeephus":18acdplm said:
skyhightree1":18acdplm said:
Jogeephus":18acdplm said:
How did you fertilize them?

Side dress then cultivate it in

I'm trying to figure out your problem but you aren't giving specific details so its making it hard. It sounds like you are getting plenty of rain but if its been sporadic with dry spells between the rains this could be the problem since this will block the calcium uptake. Another thing is if you overdid your fertilizer using a high ammonium based fertilizer this might be the problem since high ammonium fertilizer will lock up the calcium and lead to blossom end rot just like uneven moisture will. Or, its something other than blossom end rot. Pictures?

we had some dry spells then tons of rain then dry then tons of rain. The fertilizer i used on the tomatoes are triple 10 thanks for trying to help me again... Yea couple posts up i posted the bottom of a green tomato. I was thinking maybe all the rain dissipated the calcium in the soil.

That looks to be the BER. Yeah, too much water can cause this but infrequency of water will cause it to. Tomatoes are finicky and require consistent watering. Probably best to pull all the affected tomatoes off and put some drip tape down, lay off the fertilizer or switch to calcium nitrate if you think they need some nitrogen. Best to foliar feed using a cup of calcium nitrate to 25 gallons of water and spray the foliage and the root zone. If you can even up the moisture this may turn them around.

Jogeephus":12rgqwsh said:
That looks to be the BER. Yeah, too much water can cause this but infrequency of water will cause it to. Tomatoes are finicky and require consistent watering. Probably best to pull all the affected tomatoes off and put some drip tape down, lay off the fertilizer or switch to calcium nitrate if you think they need some nitrogen. Best to foliar feed using a cup of calcium nitrate to 25 gallons of water and spray the foliage and the root zone. If you can even up the moisture this may turn them around.

I will try that tomatoes are a real PITA but taste so good when you get a good fresh one.. I have noticed the yellow tomatoes are not not as problematic

skyhightree1":2byh4w13 said:
Jogeephus":2byh4w13 said:

I will try that tomatoes are a real PITA but taste so good when you get a good fresh one.. I have noticed the yellow tomatoes are not not as problematic

Yeah, variety plays a big part of it. I'm growing heritage tomatoes grafted onto GMO root stocks and so far so good but I do have concerns that I might have an arm or some other strange appendage growing out my ear being they may not be gluten-free or organic enough. I read that could happen on the web.

Jogeephus":3m5ey1pl said:
skyhightree1":3m5ey1pl said:
Jogeephus":3m5ey1pl said:

Yeah, variety plays a big part of it. I'm growing heritage tomatoes grafted onto GMO root stocks and so far so good but I do have concerns that I might have an arm or some other strange appendage growing out my ear being they may not be gluten-free or organic enough. I read that could happen on the web.

:lol: :lol:

For my summer garden my zucchini is ready. I have six cauliflower plants and it is ready as I wish I had put out more.

ujfPn5w.jpg

Also pick some peas today. It was hot outside today.

8kdsdch.jpg

jltrent":1r71ncrh said:
For my summer garden my zucchini is ready. I have six cauliflower plants and it is ready as I wish I had put out more.

ujfPn5w.jpg

8kdsdch.jpg

looking good my peas are done doubt I plant a 2nd crop

jltrent":2qrvtlm5 said:

ujfPn5w.jpg

8kdsdch.jpg

Are those the peas you eat shell and all like for stir fry or do you only eat the seed(pea)? Just curious, either way nice looking stuff.

Are those the peas you eat shell and all like for stir fry or do you only eat the seed(pea)? Just curious, either way nice looking stuff.

They are Oregon Sugar Pod Peas and are pretty good to eat right off the vine not shelled. My wife boiled a pot not shelled and they are good tasting IMO. The lady at Mid-Mountain Feed and Seed, were I get my seed, recommended them to me and said that is what she would buy, out of four different types they had for-sale.

https://www.burpee.com/vegetables/peas/ ... 00788.html

Those are the best. I can only grow those during the winter/early spring and I often forget to plant them because of the timing but they are one of my favorites.