Summer Garden 2018

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Summer Garden 2018

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:39 am

Jogeephus wrote:Are those Charleston Gray's?

Yep that's what they are.

Jogeephus wrote:Picked some melons today. Charleston Gray and Yellow Doll's. Yellow Doll's sometimes bring funny looks on people's faces when they cut into them and see yellow flesh.

Nice yea I never had a yellow fleshed watermelon it would be weird to me too
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:54 pm

The yellow fleshed taste about the same only a little different. Some people say they like them better. Some say they are sweeter. IDK, but they taste good to me. My daughter's friend's mother bought one the other day and spent nearly $8 for it. My daughter gave her three of them.

Sky here is something you might like to try growing. Its a Cherokee Purple tomato. Its an heirloom and first recorded around 1890. This is what the Indians used to grow and a Cherokee indian gave some seed to some fella around 1890. From the size you can see its a big tomato and is a type of Beefsteak tomato. It will produce continuously till frost and will get over eight foot tall if you tend to it but you have to train it since the tomatoes are so large they can break the vine.

Growing heirlooms here is difficult due to the tobacco virus so my three experimental plants were grafts and they seem to be doing well. The flavor is a lot different than regular tomatoes as they are not as tart and they are super juicy and are very fleshy.

0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:20 pm

Good looking slice of heirloom tomato, Jo. I grow a so called heirloom every year. This year I grew one called German Johnson. Jury's still out on the German Johnson. Brandywine, I can vouch for. Pruden's Purple, I can vouch for. Mortgage Lifter, I can vouch for. Never tried the Cherokee Purple but from the looks of it, it's a winner!
0 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:40 pm

GP, I like this tomato but it won't win any beauty contests. Many of the tomatoes had weird shapes and the green rim threw me at first when I couldn't decide whether or not they were ripe. Don't know if its just mine but they seem to be very low acid which makes me wonder how good they would be for canning.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:26 am

Jogeephus wrote:The yellow fleshed taste about the same only a little different. Some people say they like them better. Some say they are sweeter. IDK, but they taste good to me. My daughter's friend's mother bought one the other day and spent nearly $8 for it. My daughter gave her three of them.

Sky here is something you might like to try growing. Its a Cherokee Purple tomato. Its an heirloom and first recorded around 1890. This is what the Indians used to grow and a Cherokee indian gave some seed to some fella around 1890. From the size you can see its a big tomato and is a type of Beefsteak tomato. It will produce continuously till frost and will get over eight foot tall if you tend to it but you have to train it since the tomatoes are so large they can break the vine.

Growing heirlooms here is difficult due to the tobacco virus so my three experimental plants were grafts and they seem to be doing well. The flavor is a lot different than regular tomatoes as they are not as tart and they are super juicy and are very fleshy.

I will try those next year i havent seen any plants for sale did you start those from seeds or buy as plants? Thanks for the suggestion
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:39 am

I got mine as grafted plants through a local grower.
0 x

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:59 am

Jogeephus wrote:GP, I like this tomato but it won't win any beauty contests. Many of the tomatoes had weird shapes and the green rim threw me at first when I couldn't decide whether or not they were ripe. Don't know if its just mine but they seem to be very low acid which makes me wonder how good they would be for canning.

Weird shapes, lots of ridges, deep stem set, are the hallmarks of all the heirlooms I've grown and they usually have a shelf life of one day or less. If it weren't for their outstanding flavor and texture, there wouldn't be anything to like about them. I don't think the ones I've tried were low acid though. At any rate I've never had enough heirlooms at one time to can anyway.
0 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:11 pm

ga.prime wrote: I don't think the ones I've tried were low acid though. At any rate I've never had enough heirlooms at one time to can anyway.

That's what had me a little puzzled because I've always been told you have to be careful canning the newer tomatoes because they don't have the acid the old heritage tomatoes did. This may be the case with these too because I was hesitant to pick them with the big green rim on them so I may have let them get too ripe before picking. I'll pick some sooner and see if they aren't more tart.
0 x

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:49 pm

I can vouch for the Cherokee Purple as this is the second year the wife has grown them. Not always the prettiest tomato in the garden but certainly one of the better ones.
0 x
I wish my brain could forget what my eyes have seen.

"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

76 Bar
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby 76 Bar » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:45 pm

Personally, I think Cherokee Purple doesn't hold a candle to its relative, Pruden's Purple. Most heritage tomatoes are indeterminant, funky looking, tempermental, long season & often sparse bearing but taste wise are divine (pardon the pun).
1 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:24 pm

Thanks 76, I'll try that one next year it looks pretty good.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:21 am

Jogeephus wrote:Some garden goodies. Shame it all comes in at the same time because we can't eat it fast enough and I can't seem to give it away unless I pick it, process it and deliver it.

The wife fusses if I let them grow and bring yellow squash in that big.....seeds are too big she says.
They don't bother me.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:05 am

I like the larger ones for frying.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:59 pm

Jogeephus wrote:I like the larger ones for frying.

Everything is better fried. I miss having fresh fried squash and zucchini out of the garden.
1 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

jltrent
GURU
GURU

Postby jltrent » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:42 pm

Looks good Jogeephus, you have had a good garden this year....
0 x

Return to “Gardening”