Summer Garden 2018

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus":lbfk4jai said:
Are those Charleston Gray's?

Yep that's what they are.

Jogeephus":lbfk4jai said:
Picked some melons today. Charleston Gray and Yellow Doll's. Yellow Doll's sometimes bring funny looks on people's faces when they cut into them and see yellow flesh.

36957939_1912977302333493_6808541230322941952_n.jpg

Nice yea I never had a yellow fleshed watermelon it would be weird to me too

The yellow fleshed taste about the same only a little different. Some people say they like them better. Some say they are sweeter. IDK, but they taste good to me. My daughter's friend's mother bought one the other day and spent nearly $8 for it. My daughter gave her three of them.

Sky here is something you might like to try growing. Its a Cherokee Purple tomato. Its an heirloom and first recorded around 1890. This is what the Indians used to grow and a Cherokee indian gave some seed to some fella around 1890. From the size you can see its a big tomato and is a type of Beefsteak tomato. It will produce continuously till frost and will get over eight foot tall if you tend to it but you have to train it since the tomatoes are so large they can break the vine.

Growing heirlooms here is difficult due to the tobacco virus so my three experimental plants were grafts and they seem to be doing well. The flavor is a lot different than regular tomatoes as they are not as tart and they are super juicy and are very fleshy.

36902143_1912977309000159_8210506632631681024_n.jpg

Good looking slice of heirloom tomato, Jo. I grow a so called heirloom every year. This year I grew one called German Johnson. Jury's still out on the German Johnson. Brandywine, I can vouch for. Pruden's Purple, I can vouch for. Mortgage Lifter, I can vouch for. Never tried the Cherokee Purple but from the looks of it, it's a winner!

GP, I like this tomato but it won't win any beauty contests. Many of the tomatoes had weird shapes and the green rim threw me at first when I couldn't decide whether or not they were ripe. Don't know if its just mine but they seem to be very low acid which makes me wonder how good they would be for canning.

Jogeephus":1gorlb7g said:
The yellow fleshed taste about the same only a little different. Some people say they like them better. Some say they are sweeter. IDK, but they taste good to me. My daughter's friend's mother bought one the other day and spent nearly $8 for it. My daughter gave her three of them.

Sky here is something you might like to try growing. Its a Cherokee Purple tomato. Its an heirloom and first recorded around 1890. This is what the Indians used to grow and a Cherokee indian gave some seed to some fella around 1890. From the size you can see its a big tomato and is a type of Beefsteak tomato. It will produce continuously till frost and will get over eight foot tall if you tend to it but you have to train it since the tomatoes are so large they can break the vine.

Growing heirlooms here is difficult due to the tobacco virus so my three experimental plants were grafts and they seem to be doing well. The flavor is a lot different than regular tomatoes as they are not as tart and they are super juicy and are very fleshy.

36902143_1912977309000159_8210506632631681024_n.jpg

I will try those next year i havent seen any plants for sale did you start those from seeds or buy as plants? Thanks for the suggestion

Jogeephus":3nlkf4tn said:
GP, I like this tomato but it won't win any beauty contests. Many of the tomatoes had weird shapes and the green rim threw me at first when I couldn't decide whether or not they were ripe. Don't know if its just mine but they seem to be very low acid which makes me wonder how good they would be for canning.
Weird shapes, lots of ridges, deep stem set, are the hallmarks of all the heirlooms I've grown and they usually have a shelf life of one day or less. If it weren't for their outstanding flavor and texture, there wouldn't be anything to like about them. I don't think the ones I've tried were low acid though. At any rate I've never had enough heirlooms at one time to can anyway.

ga.prime":27facc55 said:
I don't think the ones I've tried were low acid though. At any rate I've never had enough heirlooms at one time to can anyway.

That's what had me a little puzzled because I've always been told you have to be careful canning the newer tomatoes because they don't have the acid the old heritage tomatoes did. This may be the case with these too because I was hesitant to pick them with the big green rim on them so I may have let them get too ripe before picking. I'll pick some sooner and see if they aren't more tart.

I can vouch for the Cherokee Purple as this is the second year the wife has grown them. Not always the prettiest tomato in the garden but certainly one of the better ones.

Personally, I think Cherokee Purple doesn't hold a candle to its relative, Pruden's Purple. Most heritage tomatoes are indeterminant, funky looking, tempermental, long season & often sparse bearing but taste wise are divine (pardon the pun).

Jogeephus":2i3s3rg5 said:
Some garden goodies. Shame it all comes in at the same time because we can't eat it fast enough and I can't seem to give it away unless I pick it, process it and deliver it.

36558240_1906544549643435_4166779766508093440_n.jpg

The wife fusses if I let them grow and bring yellow squash in that big.....seeds are too big she says.
They don't bother me.

Thanks. I had some setbacks with some bad seed but for the most part its been a good year but this heat is really taking the wind out of my sails.

greybeard":2yxlwam8 said:
Jogeephus":2yxlwam8 said:
Some garden goodies. Shame it all comes in at the same time because we can't eat it fast enough and I can't seem to give it away unless I pick it, process it and deliver it.

36558240_1906544549643435_4166779766508093440_n.jpg

The wife fusses if I let them grow and bring yellow squash in that big.....seeds are too big she says.
They don't bother me.
Kinda the same way greybeard. I like em small, I pick a lot of zucchini with the flower still open. If I wait a day it would take a week to finish eating one cause the get so big. I don't like the seeds either.

Latest posts