Stock Trailer Widths... Does it matter?

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Re: Stock Trailer Widths... Does it matter?

Postby Brute 23 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:58 am

Lucky wrote:The one thing I noticed with the wider trailers is that they hold more cows but have the same axles as regular width trailers. The 6.8x24 I had blew every tire on it out over a few years of light use. This time around I got the 6.8x28 mainly for the triple axle. This probably only comes into play with the 24’ and 36’ trailers.

I will second the triple axle upgrade. That was also one of my reasons for wanting a 28'. A 24' loaded down is fairly tongue heavy. I was very impressed with the few triple axle trailers I have pulled. It kept a noticeable amount of weight off the truck and pulled nice IMO.

One of my big deals on the next trailer is enough room to load my utv in the back and still have room for cattle or bulls up front. It has to be fairly wide for that.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

Lucky
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Lucky » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:25 pm

I haven't tried it yet but it looks like I could load my atv through the escape door on this trailer. I didn't get the movable front gate but dealer told me he could add it for a few hundred dollars.
0 x

Black and Good
GURU
GURU

Postby Black and Good » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:01 am

Lucky wrote:The one thing I noticed with the wider trailers is that they hold more cows but have the same axles as regular width trailers. The 6.8x24 I had blew every tire on it out over a few years of light use. This time around I got the 6.8x28 mainly for the triple axle. This probably only comes into play with the 24’ and 36’ trailers.

Were they factory tires? Most tires that come out on trailers are junk. I replace them with quality 14 ply tires and have no problems! B&G
0 x
WARNING! These Cattle get in your blood. Hope you have credit or a thick checkbook! LOL

Lucky
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Lucky » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:06 pm

Yes it was the factory tires that I had trouble with. I took 4 of the factory tires off the new trailer and put 14 plys on as soon as I got it home.
0 x

Texasmark
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Texasmark » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:01 am

JW IN VA wrote:Like button still doesn't work,Brute.

Ha. Mine doesn't either....at least didn't a few days ago last time I tried to use it....thought it was a problem with automatic computer software upgrades on my imac.
0 x

rjp44
Beginner
Beginner

Postby rjp44 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:24 pm

So I’ve got it narrowed down to a 6’8”x24’ or 6’8”x28x w/triple axels... Unless i can find a nice used one fairly soon. Any advice, pros or cons on getting either one? Live in ND, should have plenty of room for the bigger sized trailers in majority of the spot i can see pulling it.
0 x

Lucky
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Lucky » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:15 pm

My only advice would be if you get the 28' get the full escape door and the movable front cut gate if possible. Mine also has the double jacks up front and I won't have another cattle trailer without them.
0 x

Gators Rule
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Gators Rule » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:40 am

rjp44, you may have already purchased a trailer, but I thought I'd add this tidbit. Often, you can have a trailer custom built for roughly the same price as a standard new trailer, or less. Not sure that triple axles would be required, but I would at least pay attention to the axle size. When I was having my trailer company (toughneck) in Zolfo Springs build me a 20' stock trailer, we went with two 7000 lb axles. Quite a few of the trailers I had previously looked at had 5000 lb axles, and many only had brakes on one axle. I ended up with dual 7000 lb axles (brakes on both), escape door in the front section, an 8' front compartment, and split rear gates that open out or in. I also had them wire lights inside the trailer, as well as a flood light to shine behind the trailer for night time loading or unloading. You will definitely want it covered by a tarp. Oh....and I saw the wholesale price list that showed the 7000 lb axle at exactly price as a 5000 lb axle.
0 x
I stand for the flag, and kneel for the cross...

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:41 pm

Old post but I will add my :2cents:

On the comment about big trailers and 3/4 ton trucks. They work well. Same exhaust brake, same engine, etc. But if you compare a 3/4 ton to a 1 ton DUALLY it’s a big difference. Those two extra tires add a lot of stability and help tote the weight. I use a 3/4 ton and a 6’x24’.

On the tarp issue. Sure helps with heat and cold depending on the season. But one should be all the more careful if the trailer has a tarp. Nowhere to go but out the back if something goes awry.

One the issue of hauling a UTV. I know all utvs are different but my Ranger won’t go in mine bc it’s to high. Width is tight bc my trailer is only 6’ but the ranger is too tall. May not always be the case. I sure wish it would. I have to use my four wheeler or either make two trips with different trailers.

If I were to buy a new trailer it would be a 6’8 with a lifetime composite floor. It would also have an escape gate and two jacks. And if I were looking at a 32’ or bigger I’d see if dual tandems were an option instead of triples. If not I’d make do with triples.
0 x
“Watch your top knot” - Will Geer as Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

Return to “Trucks, Tractors and Machinery”