Disconcerting, Has Me Concerned

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Disconcerting, Has Me Concerned

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:23 pm

Workinonit Farm wrote:It has been very, very dry here. We were in a deficit back in October and its only gotten worse since. (insert blue-faced emoticon here) Normally, this time of year, my cows & calves cannot keep up with the grass. My grass can't keep up with my cows and calves, and what is there, is starting to wilt and die. The grass in the yard looks green, and that's only from little 'spits' of precipitation that feed the surface. It is very disconcerting. (again with the blue face emoticon)

I'm bringing a group of calves to the sale tomorrow morning. Been looking at the herd list and started thinking about which cows I'll send down the road, if we don't get some kind of precipitation. Hadn't planned on off-loading any this year, but as we all know, plans change. If (most likely when) the day comes that a few of them will hit the road, if cull prices are in the tank, I'm thinking I may have them processed into burger and sell 'em as burger. I may get more for them that way. I don't know. Just thinking out loud here.

Last week we had what called a 'sick joke' weather day. Desperate for moisture, it "snowed" a fair amount of the day. BUT it was itsy-bitsy flakes, the sidewalk never got wet, only the grass blades got wet, enough to walk on wet grass blades, then through dust and make a mud on the bottoms of shoes, yet no useful water for anything.

Lately I've been one of those folks, wondering why am I still doing this??? (insert qustion mark faced emoticon here) Just finished, finally, repairing & replacing all the fence damaged by those devestating winds we had a few weeks back.

Thanks for "listening". (I think I can do the sad face, colon, parenthesis) :(

Did you get any of that tornado rain last night?
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:05 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:

Yes, we did! :) We got just a hair over 3 inches! Lots of wind, today blustery winds. So THANKFUL for that rain. Its been so dry, that even with 3 inches of rain, there isn't the mud one would expect.

The tornado damage, in Elon in Amherst county was about 13 miles from my sister, in Nelson County. I'm thankful that nobody lost their lives. My heart goes out to the families that lost their homes, about 24 houses were turned into splinters. :(

Sky, did you get any rain from this?
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:10 pm

Workinonit Farm wrote:

I've got a cow that's due any day now, I would have figured with these crazy swings, she'd have 'popped' by now. LOL

Found her w/new calf, about a couple hours after I made this post. Goggle-eyed bull calf (now a steer, I counted 2 ;) )

I would add a picture, but that option/feature seems to have gone AWOL. :(
0 x

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:12 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:It's hard to believe no further north than y'all are.. that your that dry..our pastures are rotten..had 3 more inches yesterday rained till dinner..

Pretty crazy, isn't it. I know some folks, much further North, in NY who wish it would quit snowing, raining, snowing, raining. They've had waayyy too much rain, similar to you all south of us.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:19 pm

Workinonit Farm wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:

Yes, we did! :) We got just a hair over 3 inches! Lots of wind, today blustery winds. So THANKFUL for that rain. Its been so dry, that even with 3 inches of rain, there isn't the mud one would expect.

The tornado damage, in Elon in Amherst county was about 13 miles from my sister, in Nelson County. I'm thankful that nobody lost their lives. My heart goes out to the families that lost their homes, about 24 houses were turned into splinters. :(

Sky, did you get any rain from this?

Oh yea plenty of rain were not hurting for any rain. We had the winds and minimal damage it seems. Yea I feel for those people and am glad no one died.
1 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:05 pm

We also got 3.1 inches and fierce winds but not the tornado type winds that they got just a bit west in Craig Co, or southeast in the Lynchburg area. If the winds keep up it will dry the surface out fast. Was 80's Friday and Sat, supposed to have severe frost and temps to go down to the upper 20's to low 30's tonight. Just glad it isn't snow like up north. There is nothing normal about the last year.
1 x

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:19 pm

I just hope that when summer does get here that it happens on a weekend.
0 x

sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU

Postby sim.-ang.king » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:35 pm

We are in a grass "drought" right now, like most, got the water but no grass. Getting a full week of above 50 would be nice.
0 x
"Benign Neglect" -Dun

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:40 am

That's discombobulating.
0 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

Return to “Coffee Shop”