A/H Baldies vs H/A Baldies

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

Post Reply
gaurus
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 160
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:32 pm

A/H Baldies vs H/A Baldies

Post by gaurus » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:38 pm

Ive heard many times that a Angus bull over Hereford cows terminal cross will grade better than Hereford bull over Angus cows steers.

Is that true?
0 x

User avatar
Bullitt
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 336
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:31 am
Location: Texas

Re: A/H Baldies vs H/A Baldies

Post by Bullitt » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:40 pm

gaurus wrote:Ive heard many times that a Angus bull over Hereford cows terminal cross will grade better than Hereford bull over Angus cows steers.

Is that true?


I would like to learn if that is true. I thought it would depend on the individual cow and bull. There is a lot of variation even among a breed of cattle.
0 x

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1233
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Piedmont of SC

Re: A/H Baldies vs H/A Baldies

Post by Ebenezer » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:33 pm

I saw research years ago but do not remember the outcome but one was better. Lot of help I am, huh? :oops: Economics: it might be cheaper to buy Hereford cows.
0 x

elkwc
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1195
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:21 pm

Re: A/H Baldies vs H/A Baldies

Post by elkwc » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:28 pm

I've seen it done both ways and they both work well if a breeder uses good quality bulls and cows.
Here it is cheaper to go the Hereford bull route as Hereford females are in demand. We just purchased a Hereford bull about 3 weeks ago. He will go out with the cows sometime in May. Depending on what you want I have to be very careful about bloodlines but otherwise they work well.
0 x

User avatar
ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 15745
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:16 pm
Location: Alabama the Beautiful

Re: A/H Baldies vs H/A Baldies

Post by ALACOWMAN » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:54 pm

gaurus wrote:Ive heard many times that a Angus bull over Hereford cows terminal cross will grade better than Hereford bull over Angus cows steers.

Is that true?

Can't in my mind think it would work in ten out of ten,seems like to many variables..but if I had to gamble I'd would circle true..
0 x
It's that time of year, where cattle go from being conservatives,too liberals...

User avatar
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 29762
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:18 pm
Location: Heart of Texas

Re: A/H Baldies vs H/A Baldies

Post by TexasBred » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:56 pm

Down this way seems you can find good hereford bulls but putting together a good herd of herford cattle is almost impossible. Got a world of "trash" walking around.
1 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

User avatar
ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 15745
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:16 pm
Location: Alabama the Beautiful

Re: A/H Baldies vs H/A Baldies

Post by ALACOWMAN » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:01 pm

TexasBred wrote:Got a world of "trash" walking around.

Same here, cattle too...
1 x
It's that time of year, where cattle go from being conservatives,too liberals...

elkwc
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1195
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:21 pm

Re: A/H Baldies vs H/A Baldies

Post by elkwc » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:53 pm

TexasBred wrote:Down this way seems you can find good hereford bulls but putting together a good herd of herford cattle is almost impossible. Got a world of "trash" walking around.

The same can be said of Angus here also. Trash and those light muscled low BW bulls and then on the polled side you find the show type many times.But we are fortunate and have some good quality Hereford cattle around. The issue is if you can afford the females.
0 x

WalnutCrest
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2406
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:01 pm
Location: Northeast KS (USA)
Contact:

Re: A/H Baldies vs H/A Baldies

Post by WalnutCrest » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:41 pm

I was helping a guy sort cows from calves this weekend. If he hadn't pointed him out, I thought his bull was just another framey skinny butted commercial Angus cow.

True story.

My friend doesn't know it yet, but he needs help picking better cattle ... especially bulls! Good grief his herd made zero sense.
0 x
Fullblood Aubrac & Mashona Cattle

User avatar
TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 12066
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:49 pm
Location: Live in Franklin, TN farm in Warsaw, KY

Re: A/H Baldies vs H/A Baldies

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:04 am

ALACOWMAN wrote:
TexasBred wrote:Got a world of "trash" walking around.

Same here, cattle too...


Lol
0 x
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 23227
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas

Re: A/H Baldies vs H/A Baldies

Post by Caustic Burno » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:20 am

elkwc wrote:
TexasBred wrote:Down this way seems you can find good hereford bulls but putting together a good herd of herford cattle is almost impossible. Got a world of "trash" walking around.

The same can be said of Angus here also. Trash and those light muscled low BW bulls and then on the polled side you find the show type many times.But we are fortunate and have some good quality Hereford cattle around. The issue is if you can afford the females.



If it’s black and papered it’s righteous no matter how sorry it looks or it’s progeny. All that matters is paper and numbers that won’t mash the scales one pound.
0 x
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

elkwc
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1195
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:21 pm

Re: A/H Baldies vs H/A Baldies

Post by elkwc » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:53 am

Caustic Burno wrote:
elkwc wrote:
TexasBred wrote:Down this way seems you can find good hereford bulls but putting together a good herd of herford cattle is almost impossible. Got a world of "trash" walking around.

The same can be said of Angus here also. Trash and those light muscled low BW bulls and then on the polled side you find the show type many times.But we are fortunate and have some good quality Hereford cattle around. The issue is if you can afford the females.



If it’s black and papered it’s righteous no matter how sorry it looks or it’s progeny. All that matters is paper and numbers that won’t mash the scales one pound.


+1
0 x

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1233
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Piedmont of SC

Re: A/H Baldies vs H/A Baldies

Post by Ebenezer » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:00 pm

Tried to find the research about AXH or HXA but could not find it. Memory seems to think that AXH was the better baldie.
0 x

Post Reply