A/H Baldies vs H/A Baldies

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

gaurus
Cowhand
Cowhand

A/H Baldies vs H/A Baldies

Postby gaurus » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:38 pm

Ive heard many times that a Angus bull over Hereford cows terminal cross will grade better than Hereford bull over Angus cows steers.

Is that true?
0 x

Bullitt
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: A/H Baldies vs H/A Baldies

Postby Bullitt » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:40 pm

gaurus wrote:Ive heard many times that a Angus bull over Hereford cows terminal cross will grade better than Hereford bull over Angus cows steers.

Is that true?

I would like to learn if that is true. I thought it would depend on the individual cow and bull. There is a lot of variation even among a breed of cattle.
0 x

Ebenezer
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Ebenezer » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:33 pm

I saw research years ago but do not remember the outcome but one was better. Lot of help I am, huh? :oops: Economics: it might be cheaper to buy Hereford cows.
0 x

elkwc
Rancher
Rancher

Postby elkwc » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:28 pm

I've seen it done both ways and they both work well if a breeder uses good quality bulls and cows.
Here it is cheaper to go the Hereford bull route as Hereford females are in demand. We just purchased a Hereford bull about 3 weeks ago. He will go out with the cows sometime in May. Depending on what you want I have to be very careful about bloodlines but otherwise they work well.
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:54 pm

gaurus wrote:Ive heard many times that a Angus bull over Hereford cows terminal cross will grade better than Hereford bull over Angus cows steers.

Is that true?

Can't in my mind think it would work in ten out of ten,seems like to many variables..but if I had to gamble I'd would circle true..
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:56 pm

Down this way seems you can find good hereford bulls but putting together a good herd of herford cattle is almost impossible. Got a world of "trash" walking around.
1 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:01 pm

TexasBred wrote:Got a world of "trash" walking around.

Same here, cattle too...
1 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

elkwc
Rancher
Rancher

Postby elkwc » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:53 pm

TexasBred wrote:Down this way seems you can find good hereford bulls but putting together a good herd of herford cattle is almost impossible. Got a world of "trash" walking around.

The same can be said of Angus here also. Trash and those light muscled low BW bulls and then on the polled side you find the show type many times.But we are fortunate and have some good quality Hereford cattle around. The issue is if you can afford the females.
0 x

WalnutCrest
GURU
GURU

Postby WalnutCrest » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:41 pm

I was helping a guy sort cows from calves this weekend. If he hadn't pointed him out, I thought his bull was just another framey skinny butted commercial Angus cow.

True story.

My friend doesn't know it yet, but he needs help picking better cattle ... especially bulls! Good grief his herd made zero sense.
0 x
Fullblood Aubrac & Mashona Cattle

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:04 am

ALACOWMAN wrote:
TexasBred wrote:Got a world of "trash" walking around.

Same here, cattle too...

Lol
0 x
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:20 am

elkwc wrote:
TexasBred wrote:Down this way seems you can find good hereford bulls but putting together a good herd of herford cattle is almost impossible. Got a world of "trash" walking around.

The same can be said of Angus here also. Trash and those light muscled low BW bulls and then on the polled side you find the show type many times.But we are fortunate and have some good quality Hereford cattle around. The issue is if you can afford the females.

If it’s black and papered it’s righteous no matter how sorry it looks or it’s progeny. All that matters is paper and numbers that won’t mash the scales one pound.
0 x

elkwc
Rancher
Rancher

Postby elkwc » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:53 am

Caustic Burno wrote:
elkwc wrote:

If it’s black and papered it’s righteous no matter how sorry it looks or it’s progeny. All that matters is paper and numbers that won’t mash the scales one pound.

+1
0 x

Ebenezer
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Ebenezer » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:00 pm

Tried to find the research about AXH or HXA but could not find it. Memory seems to think that AXH was the better baldie.
0 x

Return to “Breeds Board”